FRCFOAMIES CARGO TWIN

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Btw, a mk2 might be on the cards next year..... What was wrong with the motor mount and cowling? Can you show me pics?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I had two 1800mah in parallel in the nose or a 5000mah 2s.

3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I know I should have. ..but didn't.

The ply for the motor mount was too small all the way around. It would fit the inside dimensions though.

I used a piece of 3mm for the bottom pieces of the cowling.

It looks like it was intended to be a score and fold setup initially but I went ahead and made my changes anyway.

4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Okay sorry ... I did take a photo of what I had done.

Mount-CargoTwin.jpg

5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

.. and below is a picture of CF supports.

I've added a CF strip along the leading edge of the wing. Also add CF strips to the ailerons.

Then I added some 3mm cf to better support the vertical stab and rudder.

CargoTwin-Support.jpg

6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I forgot to mention that I also added CF Strip along the bomb bay doors and placed two magnets in the doors to draw and keep themselves closed.

7. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Depends on how long you want to fly. 2 of them I put in parallel and the other transport I wanted super light(STOL tilt wing). Most of the time you will use only half throttle is you like scale.

Did you think about adding 2 silver spray cans covers to simulate the cowling? Will look real cool if you do.

What interests the most is you mentioned you want a glider tow plane.
    Are your motors/props powerful enough to launch and pull what ever drag is produced by the glider?
    Where are you going to put the launch cable release system?

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Ok, great, I'll go over the measurements again to see what's wrong! Looks really good with all that support! I had a rod from the bottom of the fuselage to the wing to.

9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Those are details I need to sort out yet.

I should have about 60'ish oz of thrust with the 1400kv motor and prop and should be plenty to cart around a little foam glider. This won't be any large 40+ inch glider.... just a foam toy really.

10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Correct .. I was going to add a 2-56 rod and clevis to the fuse/wing support. This is something I'll add once I get a coat of paint on it first. I thought that the control horn, rod and clevis(s) would make for a nece scale look.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Great work, Tom! I didn't hear of anyone having problems, but if Jay is on the case he'll get to the bottom of it! For large planes like this, bow and arrow shafts from Walmart are amazing! Absolutely No flex. Used one on the su34. Only $4 or so too.
    Genius bomb Bay door design, Btw!

sgf323, TomMonton and Boxermad84 like this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Yes, and you can tension in up if you use a threaded rod! Can't wait to see the final product! Nice work!!!

TomMonton likes this.
  13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

The doors were easy once I decided to stop over thinking it. I had all sorts of weird things hot glued together trying to make this work. It would have weighed a ton.

Then i broke it all down and put it into its simplest form. ...sheeesh... too bad I took the long way around. :D

The theme color will be a bright aquamarine blue. Matte finish and a coat of urethane. It should pop.

F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  14. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Point I would like to make, aquamarine blue on blue sky(no clouds at all in sky) could cause orientation problems. Put it up high and flying straight and level a good distance away or landing turn with no trees as reference, it could crash.

I fly a Radian glider(it's all white) and have bright orange strips underneath, when I go past a certain height(over 400 ft) all you see is white. I usually cruise around 2000 ft or so(eagletree alt.) and you can even lose it reference when it blends into sky. Same with transport, will blend in.

15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I've had a few planes that are white and light blue, one up to 2600ft, I think it stands out well.
    rcpowers mig 29 v1 & f18 v2:

16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ugh. ... your last two posts here were of some sort of grief surrounding this build. Tell me if there's anything that you may approve of. (?)

I went public with this build on behalf of Boxermad's work in this design. I'm simply playing in with a few notes of my own.

...and personally I like the color of choice I've made and have used it before. .... so I already know what to expect against my eye.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  17. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

I don't do herd behavior. Your not the only one, see other threads, but I give the viewpoints that others are not aware of or care not to discuss. I didn't say anything about his plane, I just tried to inform you blue is a bad color against the sky.

Flying for long number of years and belonging to 3 clubs and also an instructor, I probably seen it all. So rather than tell the sequence of events, again, all I trying to do is summarize why blue is a bad color to use. That was my suggestion, take it or leave it. If your offended, I'm sorry.
    I personally had a totally white plane flying in winter and one day a bad snow squall came thru while in the air, guess what, picked up the pieces. So, get the idea. I'll let pilots know what can happened based on my experience.

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

May be a stupid question. .but what is "herd behavior" ?

I've not heard of this phrase before... an honest question.

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Herd behavior usually refers to sheep following a Shepherd or one another. Are we sheep? Who is the Shepherd? Are we all going over the cliff?

stanlley likes this.
  20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Huh. ...I'm more Lemming than a sheep.

At least it feels that way sometimes. :D

F1wanabe likes this.