FRCFOAMIES CARGO TWIN

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Airflow likes this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I've been struggling trying to fashion the bomb bay doors to only use one servo. It's been a struggle to get the linkage to run linear so they open and close evenly.

I'm really close but yeeeash.... this is a lot more delicate than I thought.

Airflow likes this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sounds great Tom! that you're about to mess with this! I'm very interested in it.
    Hoping for both videos and explanatory images! Good luck!

TomMonton likes this.
  5. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Boxermad84, I have a question for you. Could you please explain the technique that you used to make your windy checker board design. It strikes me as really cool. I like to paint but that design kinda has me in a wonder. Thank you .

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

That's simply a roll of masking tape cut up into squares and applied over a light colour then sprayed a dark colour over the top. Nothing special really but stands out if you use the right colours.

www.frcfoamies.com

www.youtube.com/jayrothwell

7. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Sorry I'm slow coming back. Maybe I was looking at the wrong angle but, it seemed to me that the squares had like a wind blown, wavy appearance. Am I right or not? Thanks for the info by the way.

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

9. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Thank you again. Now it makes all the sense.Also it looked kinda like you may have some of them twisted slightly. What ever, I love the looks of it. I have the same plane. It's fun.

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I thought it looked great. .. it's a short step between a subtle blend of colors versus a puddle of mud blowing paint around that way. I've blended mud before :p

I've started my build. ...well more like I'm poking at everyday. Everything is cut out of template and I've been adding some doors and reinforcement. Carbon fiber come in today so I can again move forward. Let me get organized here and I'll post some photo's of what I'm doing.

Boxermad84 likes this.
  12. darren

darren Airman

just reading through this thread did you see Boxermad84 your wife is giving you the finger on this photo.:)

13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It took awhile with much thanks to work and other various responsibilities... but I am finally there.

I've just completed the build on the Cargo Twin and have spent the last day and half masking her out for paint. Built entirely of 6 mm MPF, carbon fiber and BBQ skewers. I did use 3mm depron for a bottom skin, like a skid plate, to stiffen the body up a little more. I used 3mm depron to line the cargo bay (bomb) box and then a top skin on the wing itself to stiffen that a little more. I will still need to use a static rod to support the wings themselves so they won't flap on me in flight.

The intent of this bird will be a cargo / munitions drop and glider tow plane. ... ah .. that new foam smell :)

I will have more detail for you very soon. Two things I noticed right off the top with this plane.

- The motor mounts and cowling do not line up at all. I had to sorta build this on my own to fit. (easy fix)

- The same as with the early AlphaJet plan and this is more for the MPF builder. One side of the fuselage should be a mirrored image of the other. This way I can keep the "good side" of the foam on the outside of the fuse.

- The entire plan only offers the outside shell .. it's up to you with what you want to do with it so this build would not be of the "simple plan" variety of builder.

- This thing is huge ... It was like building a foam mailbox till I finally got the wings on her. :D

I was looking at using the EMAX XA2212 1400kv motor and GWS 8x4x3 propellers. Running 3s and matching 22amp ESC's.

Battery: Will a 2200ma or more battery do better or run two 1800 ma in parallel ?

CargoTwin-5.jpg CargoTwin-1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Boxermad84 likes this.
  16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, really love the bomb doors!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

TomMonton likes this.
  17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

.... and I LIKE the new logo !

Boxermad84 likes this.
  18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This was my mock up for the bomb bay doors. I had hoped if I could make this much work I could make it happen here in production..... and tah-dah ... it worked !!

20141201_135338.jpg

malukk, stanlley and sgf323 like this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

What is your opinion of the battery question ??

20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator