FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

well, I'm pretty sure is operator error on my part. Anyways, like I said I'm using the turnigy motor, Elite 3s 11.1V 2200mah battery, 40-amp lite pro SB brush less ESC, not sure about the 3 blade prop but each blade is 3.3 inches long, looks to be a 7 by 4 prop, I guess. Seems to be good because when I have it in my hand and give it full throttle, the plane feels like it wants to take off so. the battery should have been centered properly, i thought my CG was ok but maybe not. my control surfaces could have been misaligned because i pushed them all the way up and it didn't climb. no video or pictures. Ill start posting my crashed and maybe that will help. I bet it a combination of all of what was said that's keeping me from staying in the air. I need to get more plans of the guppy because I like that plane so much. To me it seems like it doesn't have enough power and the control surfaces aren't right. funny because i used the really light foam this time, it as so light it wasn't even funny and still crashed. Ill go back to using my other foam board which is a gram heavier, shouldn't be a problem right?? i think one price of the dollar tree foam is around 10 grams and the Walmart foam is 11 grams. the dollar tree foam is so light its a bit flimsy though, on crash and its done. I got two tosses and it was a mess totaled. well, back to the drawing board. :)

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  3. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

F1,
    Yeah no doubt it would be flying. The F35's engine is so hot it is burning holes through the flight deck so all new Amphibs have to be redesigned and others retrofitted with stronger and more steel in the landing spots for the VTOL version. Loiter time in close support roll is only 30 minutes versus the 90 minute flight of the A10 it is to replace and the F35 will carry only half the weapon load as the A10 while flying close support. They are $400 Billion in now and they won't/can't change course, they have to find a way to make it work now. It does have longer range than the Harrier it is to replace but at least the Harrier doesn't set the ship on fire during VTOL operations. WHAT A MESS!

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The Norwegians will get their first F35 AM-1 delivered this year. It would be more manoeuvrable and cheaper than the JAS Gripen, according to the Norwegian government. But now it's too late to regret previous decisions... :-( the race is on!!
    Palmdale city in Norway, and the Norwegian F-35 plant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Dang Jack,
    I hate that man. When you finally get her flying we are gonna have a party!!
    At least you are out there giving it a go. Mine has been done for awhile but I still haven't flown it due to weather/time. Everything CeeKay said is Money!
    Don't know about the prop you are using. I used the standard default 6x4 APC propeller and tried to stick with the components suggested in the plans. I would recommend changing your propellor to the 6x4 APC. The battery you are using and your motor sounds good to me Jack. Here are a few things you might try before flying again.
    1.When you get her rebuilt do a good test for CG with the battery installed.
    2. Do a control surface check before each flight/launch to verify all controls move in the correct direction.
    3. Do a range check with the Guppy to verify transmitter control at distance.

Looking from the back of the Guppy this is what you should see with all transmitter controls in the neutral position.
    image.jpg

With Elevons setup when the right stick on transmitter is pushed to the right you should see the right aileron go up and the left aileron go down like this.
    image.jpg

When you push the right stick to the left the opposite should happen; left aileron goes up, right aileron goes down.
    image.jpg

When you pull the right stick in or down, both ailerons act like elevators and so both ailerons go up. I also have V-Tails enabled so you see my rudders tuck in as well but with Elevons and rudders only setup the rudders will remain steady as both ailerons go up.
    image.jpg

The opposite will happen when the right stick is pushed up. Both ailerons will act like elevators and go down. The rudders should remain static unless V-tails are also enabled. (Disregard the rudder movement here as I have V-Tails enabled.)
    image.jpg

When the left stick is pushed to the right both rudders should move right.
    image.jpg

The opposite should happen when you push the left stick to the left, both rudders should move left.
    image.jpg

Run this check before every flight to verify control surfaces move correctly. I have crashed a plane or two because I forgot to run this quick pre-flight test.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very nicely played out Flybyknight22. Almost like stop action flash cards.

Nicely done....even a seasoned pilot can easily overlook something so simple that way.

...and I have. It was a really odd feeling bringing it back in with the elevons reversed.

CeeKay and Flybyknight22 like this.
  7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Th
    Thanks TomMonton,
    I hate it when I get a bird in the air and then realize the controls are wrong. Usually makes for a bad day. It is easy to "assume" it's all good before take off, especially if I'm in a hurry. Only takes a sec to check but I still sometimes forget to do it and when I do,.. "ASSuME" usually strikes.

F1wanabe, TomMonton and Airflow like this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

All you have to do to solve the reversed control problem is launch a plane with reversed controls once in front of JettaManDan and FED50H. They won't let you forget it! The experience is so traumatic you'll never do it again.

9. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Yeah man, hanks for the advise. See, mine is backwards.when I pull the stick left the ailerons make the plane go right and when I pull hte stick right the plane will fly left.

10. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Gotcha Jack,
    Your're all over it now man, you know what to do. Just reverse the aileron servo in the DX7s. Then make sure all the other control surfaces (Rudders) match up with the pics up above. Change out the prop to a 6x4 APC, set the CG and then,... JACK B FLYING!!!!

F1wanabe likes this.
  11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

jacktores69,
    Do you have a flight simulator?
    There are some trials/free ones you can download and try. They help in a lot of ways. They show control surface movement and they build lots of confidence. It's way better to crash in the simulater than in real life. In the sim if you crash just reset and start over. Lots of different ones out there. FMS is free but a little tricky sometimes to setup. I like ClearView for a free trial download. You only get one plane but it's enough to get started. Here is the link to ClearView:
    http://rcflightsim.com

12. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

I don't have a simulator. Ill get a 6X4 prop and make sure my stuff is straight, I think I have one in my box , so Ill change it out. I got some plans to make a new guppy so, Ill be getting on that soon. Sure thanks you all for all the help.

13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Good choice. Start easy and mellow till you can get a feel for it and then you can start to punch it up from there.

You'd be surprised with what a simple easy setup can do on its own.

14. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

yeah I bet. yeah I think I should go back to the 6X4 prop. the 3 blade doesn't seems to have enough thrust to keep it moving. Back to 2 blade props. I used the 3 blade prop on my SU 32 and it took of like a bat at hell but that one crashed to but it went a ways out there, I was kind of happy about that one. I rebuilt the nose and kind of nrevouse to fly it now lol, nothing to it but to do it though!

15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Jack,
    If ya get a chance try that sim download, it's free to try. You can even use an Xbox 360 joystick/controller as your flight transmitter. That's what I started out on and it helped me out quite a bit.
    If you have an iPhone it is a free app download also. That lets you fly on your smart phone.

16. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

ok thanks

17. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Im just going to use ailerons for now.

18. darren

darren Airman

FRCFoamies X-32 70mm EDF
    All pieces cut out and ready to build.:D Started with a template of the fuse so that I could get the shape of the inserts for the edf.:mad: measured and cut two triangles for the motor to be placed into,had to mod the fuse support so that when all together it would balance on the cg mark.All servos had to be rerouted so that they didn't interfere with the airflow,covered the wing servos with 1mm depron,and closed in the bottom of the fuse. Hope you all like it;) and cant wait to maiden this one. X-32 is all ready for paintshop :cool: now where are the plans for the x 32 remix:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    x 32 edf 027.jpg x 32 edf 028.jpg x 32 edf 029.jpg x 32 edf 030.jpg x 32 edf 031.jpg x 32 edf 032.jpg x 32 edf 033.jpg x 32 edf 034.jpg x 32 edf 035.jpg x 32 edf 036.jpg x 32 edf 037.jpg x 32 edf 038.jpg x 32 edf 039.jpg

FED50H, JohnFromOz, F1wanabe and 3 others like this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Darren,
    Nice work man! It's time to see an EDF Guppy FLY! On the remix I think pretty much all they did was cutoff/leave out the bottom fuselage. If you cut back the fuse to just in front of the EDF I think you would just about have that but I could be wrong. Will be nice to see how it performs with an EDF. Are you going to use a 4-cell battery on this one?

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. darren

darren Airman

Thanks for the comment,4 cell is a definite as it balance with a 2200 4s and a2200 3s but the thrust that I am getting from the 4 cell can push this plane along the carpet .I just need to set up elevons and v tail mix and we will see if it flys and see if I can do a grass takeoff :)

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and CeeKay like this.