FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jack, FED50H and I just set his guppy remix up for vtails and elevons with the dx7. Very easy! Btw, we were floored by the performance of the Remix. Speed and stability like you would not believe! Chip will be posting on his thread which will be moved to FRCFoamies section shortly. Wow!

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

3. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

nice pics

4. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Glad I live near the original x-32 so you guys could take those pics!

F1wanabe likes this.
  5. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

How to setup Elevon+Vtail+Rudder control surfaces on the X-32 Guppy using the DeVention-10 Transmitter and Devo-RX802 receiver. (I will also post a Spektrum DX8 "how to" in the very near future.)

SAFETY:
    Please be safe. Ensure your Transmitter is properly bound to your receiver first. I recommend that you make and break servo connections to the receiver with the battery disconnected. Always turn your radio on first, with the the throttle at its lowest setting and before connecting your Lipo battery to the receiver.

DISCLAIMER:
    Use this "How-To" at your risk or don't use it all. It works great for me but your mileage may definitely vary.

With the exception of some of the physical
    pin-out/channel assignments on the RX802 receiver versus a Spektrum or OrangeRX receiver, the transmitter menu settings are somewhat similar/universal once the physical servo lead connections are properly made. This means (in theory) that if you can do it for one brand of radio and receiver, you should be able to figure this out and do it for another.

THE PROBLEM:

Setting up ELEVONS "ONLY" is fairly simple as it is just a combination of ELEVATOR and AILERONS. If your particular radio has a "DELTA" or "ELEVON" wing-type selection, you select that in your radio, then connect one aileron servo lead to AILE on the RX and the other aileron servo lead to ELEV on the RX and you are done. The problem comes in when you want ELEVONS, VTAILS and RUDDERS all at the same time. WHY IS THAT?

This is because VTAILS are a combination of ELEVATORS and RUDDERS and we have to connect them up somehow but all those channels are already in use right?
    Our ELEVONS are already using one of the ELEVATOR channels and Rudders are already using the Rudder channels, so how do we connect our servos, set proper Wing-Type and generally configure the transmitter so that we can have VTAIL and RUDDER controls as well?

THE ANSWER:

The fix is to setup 3-different program mixes and assign each mix to a switch. Basically when we create a mix, what the radio is doing is "SPLITTING THE CHANNEL SIGNALS" for us to use on additional control surfaces. We can also do some of this with a hard wired "VTAIL MIXER" device for about $14 bucks or so if the radio is not programable or if we don't know how to program our radio.

First we must have a radio capable of doing these mixes. The Devention-10 and Spectrum DX8,7 can do these mixes and I think the DX6i can as well but I'm not absolutely sure about that as I don't have a DX6i. I know that there are other radios capable of doing this as well.

We will configure the DEVO-10 to do the following Program Mixes:
    Mix#1= Rudder Master/AUX1 as slave
    Mix#2= Elevator Master/Rudder as slave
    Mix#3= Elevator Master/AUX1 as slave

Don't freak out about doing these mixes in your radio if you have never done this before. After playing around with your radio for awhile you will be fine. It is my hope that if you follow these steps I have outlined below you will be able to figure this out.

First, the physical servo/receiver lead connections using 4-servos, connect as follows:

1. Right Aileron (RA) servo lead connected to ELEV on receiver.
    2. Left Aileron (LA) servo lead connected to AILE on receiver.
    3. Left Rudder (LR) servo lead connected to RUDD on receiver.
    4. Right Rudder (RR) servo lead connected to AUX1 in receiver.

If you find that during this process your planes control surfaces are moving in the wrong direction you can reverse that in the radio and or swap the Rudder/Aileron servo leads etc.

NOTE: in the Devo-RX802 receiver, Aux1 channel is "mapped" to the Flap control setting in the Devo-10 transmitter. You will need to keep that in mind while viewing screen shots below or if transposing this info to another brand of radio.

In the radios main menu, select Fix-Wing/Plane.
    Now create/name a new model or copy an existing one to modify in your radio. I named mine Guppy as you can see:
    image.jpg
    Select Main Menu in your radio and scroll to Model Menu:
    image.jpg
    From Model Menu select Wing Type:
    image.jpg
    From Wing Type Menu select DELTA:
    You will notice that V-Tail is also a selectable option but leave it off/inhibit.
    With Elevons "AND" V-Tails activated on the Guppy we need to do 3-Program Mixes in this radio, which is very similar to the way you might do it in the Spektrum DX8.
    Note: The Devo-10 can also use a combo of both Flaperon (4-Aileron/Dual-Aileron) and V-Tail Wing-Type selections to achieve the same result but I wanted to do it in the Devo-10 as close to a Spektrum radio setup as possible.
    image.jpg
    In the radio scroll/go back to the main menu and select Function Menu:
    image.jpg
    Under Function Menu select Program Mix:
    image.jpg
    Under Program Mix, enable Mix#1 by selecting Normal then scroll down in the menu to make Rudder Master and Flap Slave. (remember the note above that Flap and Aux1 in the Devo mean the same thing)
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Still in Program Mix#1 scroll down to the left and right position control, adding -or+ values as needed to get the control surface to move in the proper direction.
    image.jpg
    Keep scrolling down and do the same thing here:
    image.jpg
    While still in Program Mix#1 Scroll down to Stick Position 0, enter and select "AND" by changing the 0 to a 1 so it is ALWAYS ON and to assign this program mix to a physical switch on the transmitter.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    FMOD Switch with 3- positions. Position 0,1, 2. This is the physical switch on the transmitter we are programming to. Your transmitter switch using a different radio brand will most likely be different but selectable.
    image.jpg
    PROG Mix#1 is done. Now for the next mix.
    Go back/scroll to program mix and enable Program Mix#2 by selecting Normal under that heading, just like you did for mix#1 only this time for our #2 Mix make ELEVATOR MASTER and RUDDER SLAVE.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Select -or+ values to get the control surface to move in the correct direction. In this case I used + values, yours might be the opposite, just play with it until they move correctly. If they are not moving correctly go back and verify that the servo leads are properly connected to receiver.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Program Mix#2 is now done.
    For PROG Mix#3 follow the examples above to enable it except set the third Mix to ELEVATOR as MASTER and FLAP (same as Aux1) as SLAVE.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Scroll down to enter -or+ values to get proper control surface direction movement as you did for mix 1 and 2.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Scroll down to switch position and change the 0 to a 1 value to activate that position of the FMOD-0 switch.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Now try your control surfaces and they should move like you see in the video of my X-32 Guppy. "VIDEO HERE"

If "ALL" of the control surfaces move correctly then you are done, if not go back into your radio and try reversing Elevon and or Rudder direction from the screen shots below..
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The Devention-10 radio is actually very versatile and powerful as the above tutorial is just one of the ways you can configure the DeVention-10 transmitter for simultaneous ELEVON, RUDDERS and VTAIL control surfaces. There are a few other ways the DeVo-10 can do this.

One is by choosing different wing types that I will not go into for now unless somebody requests it.

The other involves flashing the Transmitters firmware with experimental software called "DeviationX" to allow it to be compatible, "natively" with Spektrum receivers as well as its own default Walkers's but I wanted to stay away from that for now unless requested.

The settings I used on the Devo-10 are "somewhat" similar/universal to other brands of transmitters and I would think that the process would "basically" follow the same method for configuring the Spektrum DX8,7 or other type radio. I will soon post up the detailed process for Spektrum DX8 radio using an 8-channel OrangeRX Receiver.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    JohnFromOz, malukk and F1wanabe like this.
  6. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

ok, I have a spektrum DX7s

7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

jacktores69,
    Have you had an opportunity to read through the Devo-10 setup/how-to on the X-32 Guppy for "Elevons, Rudders and V-Tail" yet?
    I just finished the how-to for the Spektrum DX8 radio but haven't posted it up yet. The DX8 uses a "Roller/Switch" to navigate through settings instead of just buttons on the DX7.
    I do not have access to a DX7s but after reading through the pdf manual for it, I find that this entire process for "ALL THREE" radios is essentially the same.
    Do you have the book manual for your DX7s or pdf file manual and have you had a chance to read through it? The reason I ask is because, obviously we must be able to navigate through the settings using the TX controls and the servos must be correctly connected to the receiver (which we covered) but if you can do that then you should be able to setup the 3-mixes that are described in the Devo-10 tutorial and transpose that info to your DX7s. That is what I did to setup the DX8 and I have never used custom mixes on a DX8 before and everything worked ok.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  8. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

yeah, but it hard to understand. I need pictures and explanation. Im an retired AO and AO's love pictures lol, anyways, I can go back and review it, thanks for the help! I just trying to use the wing to do the turning but I was thinking of trying the whole set up, wings and the double rudders set up.

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Fed5oh had a "Guppy Remix" thread going here in the frcfoamies section, but here is his flight last weekend. Such a fast and maneuverable plane once the fuselage is removed! We will work on the plans and put a link in the other thread..

TomMonton likes this.
  10. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

that thing is fast now.

F1wanabe likes this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Call it the buddy guppy. ...or Guddy. You'll need to bring a buddy along to catch your plane.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    F1wanabe likes this.
  12. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

hhahahahahahah

13. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Im taking mine out today to give it a go and see if I can fly or crash again, its really light this time because I use the dollar tree foam so if it crashed it may done lol. wish me luck!

Flybyknight22 and F1wanabe like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Good luck!

15. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

No go because my ailerons were configured backwards so, I'll fly it tomorrow if I can figure out how to reverse the setting.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  16. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Here is probably where you need to be to do that Jack:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

I got it, I just reversed the settings, I figures it out, thanks.

Flybyknight22 and F1wanabe like this.
  18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

well, my guppy crashed twice and i have and now I have to make a new one, OMG cant stand this! everyone is flying but me! I want to make a new guppy, just fell in love with the plane and I can put it together in few hours. Well, this is what happened. powered it up tossed it, it was climbing but, I think my controls were backwards (thought Id fixed that but guess not) went right into the ground. tossed it up again did the controls the other way it flew for a bit turned and went right into the ground again but it was rolling so I tried to take off from the grass but it would not go up. Seems like my turnigy D2826/6 2200kv with a 3 blade propeller couldn't even get it off the ground, what gives!?

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

That's really bad luck you're having there.
    With that motor, you should have no problem providing enough power- I use that motor in all my parkjets.

Let's try and get to the bottom of this.
    I need you to answer a few things:

1. What size of prop are you using?
    2. Are all your controls in their neutral position when you have powered up the radio (are the Elevons level with the rest of the wing)?
    3. What battery are you using?
    4. Where does the battery sit?

If you can post some pictures or video, that might help us to help you.

For the wider forum:

Guys, I'm thinking that the problem is either:
    1. The prop isn't giving enough thrust (wrong size / wrong battery)
    2. The controls surfaces are misaligned causing loss of control.
    3. CG is off and induces a stall.

Flybyknight22 likes this.