FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

WHOA it worked, thanks so much!

Flybyknight22 and CeeKay like this.
  2. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

another question, how to get my servos to move more. When I go up they only move up a little bit.

3. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

2 ways of doing this.

1. You either need to increase the throw mechanically, by moving the position of the pushrod on the control horn (closer to the hinge line for more) and/or to the outer hole on the servo arm

2. Go into the settings on the Tx and increase the range of movement on the required channels. If I recall from my days with a DX6i, elevon mix drops the throws to about 50%.

4. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

thanks ill try that

5. bajamrbill

bajamrbill Rookie

using a dx6i got the elevons + rudder but don't know how to switch to v-tail -- any help?

6. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

A great day flying the X-32 today.
    Both my builds were present so it was only fair that we got some film of them.

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You had those two set up perfectly, CeeKay! Beautiful shots you got there. I love how these look in the air. Their not going to take on a mig or su, but they look so unique. Thanks for posting!

Flybyknight22, Airflow and CeeKay like this.
  8. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks Greg. They really are something to see. Everyone keeps talking about them and asking where I got the kits from. You should see the look on their faces when I tell them they're scratch builds.

Really got the controls dialled in now. I went for a bit of an upgrade on the second with build (grey &white) and used HXT-500 5g servos on the rudders and 9g digital coreless for the Elevons. I also put in an override to the mixing to give me 100% movement in both pitch and roll - pitch was great but I scared myself with the roll rate so dropped that back to 75%

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Flybyknight22 likes this.
  9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I can tell you really enjoyed this session. I have been out with my flying buddies and have a fantastic day as well.

F1wanabe and CeeKay like this.
  10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I think we may have all done that, I know it is the reason for some of my crashes the little toss the right in my case.

11. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

I need a video for dual rudder set up, can anyone post that? The video of the ailerons set up was VERY helpful and much appreciated. I should have better luck this time with my guppy. Im using lighter foam this time from dollar tree, its very light. please someone post the video, thanks!

12. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

You don't need a video for this, it's really simple.

If using 2 servos, you can link them to a Y-lead and then plug that single output into your rudder channel on the rx.

Flybyknight22 and Airflow like this.
  13. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Still need a video. I'm new at this, i need step by step instructions. I haven't even had a successful flight yet.

14. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Honestly, the best way to learn is to try it for yourself.

Ok, first I need to know the folliwing:

Tx type
    Number of channels you are using
    Type of rx

Once we know that, it really is a simple task

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jacktores, may I recommend that you stick to elevons only until you have the plane under control and have a few flights under your belt? This plane is not necessarily a beginner plane- elevons only will do just fine to start!

16. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

ok cool, I was thinking about that to, good idea!

17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

jacktores69,
    I understand completely about how helpful a decent step by step video might be for setting up a plane, especially for those of us that are fairly new to our sport/hobby. A picture and a video is worth a thousand words. The setup procedure varies with different radio manufacturers but the overall idea on how to do it has similarities. As CeeKay alluded to, in a previous post, knowing what kind of radio (TX) and how many channels you have etc is essential to explaining how to do it. Without that info we're kind of shooting in the dark. I see this question asked frequently in many other forums including this one. I have step by step instructions and a video of exactly how to setup Elevons and V-Tails for the X-32 Guppy using a DEVO-10 transmitter and receiver. I will be posting all that up very soon. I also have a couple of Spektrum radios (a DX8 and DX6i) but I don't use them very much except for some of my smaller helicopters and my Blade Quad because the DEVO-10 has more output power and for other reasons. I really love my DEVO-10 but it is probably not a good radio to start out with. However I will create a step by step video using the Spektrum radios and post it up as well because I realize many people buy and use the Spektrum. There are some very good threads on this forum already explaining how to do this setup. F1 has an excellent explanation of how to setup the Mixes for simultaneous Elevons and V-Tails using a Spektrum radio. I found his explanation to be fairly universal, complete and somewhat step by step but without video. If you follow his steps in the thread: "how to do V-Tail modification" you should be able to set things up. Here is the link to that thread http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/how-to-do-v-tail-modification.14637/
    Here is another thread with some pretty good info:
    "Elevon setup using DX6i in detail" at this link:
    http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/elevon-set-up-using-dx6i-in-detail.5382/ Here is one more thread with additional info that you may find helpful
    http://www.rcpowers.com/community/t...ng-on-f-117-for-elevons-and-the-rudders.7004/. If you do a search on this forum it will reveal many more threads explaining how to do this. If none of that helps,... be patient,.. your video is coming. My guess is by then though, you will have probably already figured it out on your own.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    CeeKay likes this.
  18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

NICE!

CeeKay likes this.
  19. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Hooyah master chief thanks!

20. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman