FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That looks so good man!
    You're gonna love the taller tails too.

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and CeeKay like this.
  2. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

F1: Did anybody try a EDF in the bird?

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Not to my knowledge, WMY!

4. Newt

Newt Administrator

Very nice work

CeeKay likes this.
  5. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks for the kind comments. Dave, I'm not sure about the taller tails, these are standard as per the plan. My first one flew brilliantly. I'm really looking forward to getting this one in the air alongside it.

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I do think that it needs a stablemate so I've started cutting out the F-35v3 to keep it company

7. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Well my Guppy crashed today, I don't know what the deal is. I can't keep any of my planes up in the air. My su34 won't stay up and now my guppy inverted to the left, upside down and straight into the ground, DANGIT! Any suggestions? Maybe it was the wind, maybe I didn't jump in my control fast enough after launch, I don't know, help! Lol

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jack, a couple things to check...
    -My favorite (ask me why) were your throws reversed
    -do you have the cg right?
    -was it very windy?
    -did you launch at full throttle?
    The guppy is different from other parkjets because it really doesn't have thrust vectoring so it must be flown smooth and steady. You may have noticed I performed aerobatics at a higher altitude with the guppy for that reason - with little thrust vectoring response it slower.

bogusbandit56, Airflow and FED50H like this.
  9. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Ok, thanks!

10. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

I watched the video on youtube and I saw a couple of things that I was doing and maybe the problem. Too much engine, I was giving it full throttle and tossing it. Not good according to the video and the way I was tossing it. I thought that I was tossing it straight but it kept flipping over to the left and nose down into the ground. so, less throttle and make sure the center of gravity is good and the right toss should fix it. I must say that the guppy is a tough plane because it didn't break at all. I just had to glue the servo back to the bottom.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  11. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Another question, I want to make sure my receiver is set right. Its kids weird. When I turn pull the stick all the way down to the left both ailerons go up to make the plane rise. When I pull it all the way up to the right, the ailerons are down, is that right?? I don't think so, seems weird. Up left, the plane will fly to the left, down right, the plane will fly to the right. Again, is that right? let me know, thanks.

12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

That sounds a bit weird to me jacktores69. when you pull back on the stick both elevons should come up. push up on the stick and both elevons go down. push right on the stick and the right elevon goes up and the left goes down. push left on the stick and the left goes up and the right goes down. Hope this helps.

Flybyknight22 and Airflow like this.
  13. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

yeah I know it should be like that but mine doeskin do that. I don't know how to set it up on my spectrum DX7s. I as looking on YouTube to se how to do it but, I just got as far to get it where you go left and right they operate properly but the up sand done doesn't work. Haven't figured that out yet. Looking at the manual is not help, it doesn't tell you how to set it up with just ailerons, any suggestions?? Im thinking about putting some landing ear on it and maybe that will help thanks!

14. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

You may find thay you need to reverse one of the servos. Make sure your rx is setup correctly. On a 4ch setup, ch1 is the ESC, ch2 should be the RIGHT elevon, ch3 should be the LEFT elevon.

Try this setup first and if you still have issues, try reversing the direction of ch3.

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I don't use 4 ch receivers, but on my spektrum 6 ch rxs ch 3 is esc. That may be different on other rxs. But, on my dx8, looking from the front to back, I have left elevons on ch1, right elevon on ch 2, rudder 1 on ch 4,rudder 2 in aux. As CeeKay says, either swap the elevon wires or reverse a channel until you get the correct movement. Also, you want to choose elevon as a wing type in the model set up.

16. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

cool thanks, Ill see if I can figure it out, oh boy.

17. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

any website that will tell me step by step???

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I don't know of any. The best thing is to start with a new model and name it "test", then you can practice all kinds of my xes on it. We've all started out with new mixes and you think it's impossible, then all of a sudden it clicks and you think "that was actually easier than I thought!

CeeKay likes this.
  19. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Try YouTube. There's always something there

A simple search for "Dx7 elevon setup" found this

20. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

yeah I see that but they don't show what I want, some are helpful though.