FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

CeeKay, that's great to hear! Not to only did you make a few £ but now you can fly in formation!

lysle42, Flybyknight22 and CeeKay like this.
  2. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

image.jpg
    Ya Dave I really think that adding the stab height you did is the secret to this plane! I am glad you posted that video showing how it flew with the stabilizer modification, never would have thought to do that without your sharring what you learned about the X-32, thank you Dave. The white tips on the stabs are what I added. I epoxied them on with Fabuglass tape on both sides. I only added 1-1/2 inches to my stabilizers, I just hope it was enough now that my Man Airflow crashed it, I'm thinking my flying ability may not be up to this Bad Boy! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Adding height to the stabilizer will definitely feel more stable. We had stabilizers scale at first, then a lot higher (like what you and Dave have) and cut them down until we felt a difference. Then went a bit larger. So, stock is a little shorter and we did this to make it less draggy. Drag is a big factor on this plane and when you take it up and get up to 3/4 or 100 percent throttle you'll feel that extra 2 inches. But where you get the real performance and stability is making sure that the cg is forward according to plan. Even if it means a 2200 3s. Don't know if you saw the last video of of the testing? You can see night and day what a 1/2 inch of cg movement did to the stability! Good luck!

lysle42 and Flybyknight22 like this.
  4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

WOA Home Brotha!
    You got me feeling a little cheeky about flying mine now. I added a little to the stabs that should help some I hope, especially if I make sure my dang control surfaces are cranking right. Thanks for posting up that vid man. Most would only show their smooth videos and not the crashes. Sometimes old Dawgs like me learn more from what went wrong than seeing everything done perfectly. Thanks for the NTSB after action report.

Airflow likes this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Lars, that looked like fun!!! Remember, this is a scale flying plane! We try to stress that in the introduction and throughout the thread. Without the thrust vectoring like a mig or SU you have to fly smooth and steady! Rolls are good, but loops are long and low level aerobatics will get you in trouble for sure. So, to all who are building, fly it smooth and plan on scale maneuvers. The guppy is a real nice flier if you fly it scale.

Airflow and Flybyknight22 like this.
  6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

F1, I know you are right about the drag from the extra stab height. That is one reason I thought I would go with 1-1/2 versus 2 inches like Dave did. Your plane obviously flys great as designed. What drew me to what Dave did was the improvement in stability and the drag being actually a benefit in the way I like to fly, which is a bit slower. When I saw Dave's video of the mods he did to your already great aircraft it hit the exact sweet spot in terms of slow fly fun and stability that I am typically fond of. The speed trade off caused by the increased stab height for me at least does not seem like a draw back versus the benefits they give.

lysle42, Shannon and F1wanabe like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, thats exactly right! If speed is not an issue then adding like Dave did will help slow stability. But, speed is a challenge on this plane due to the drag, so if you get comfortable enough with the plane and start doing higher speed strafing runs, you may find yourself snipping the stabilizers one day.

8. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yup
    Yup I agree F1,
    I have a fairly powerful motor on it already and after I get comfortable with it, trimming back the stabs will be nice OR I may build another one just for speed. The only thing better than one Guppy,.. Is TWO GUPPIES!
    I truly Love your planes Man!

lysle42 and F1wanabe like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, it looks spectacular. Good luck with the maiden flight!

10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

FBk22,
    Do not worry, it's only me who can not fly it inverted ... it dives straight to the ground, even with the COG according to stock. Otherwise it flies very well! You Will Manage It! Good luck!:)

If you intend to try inverted, make sure to keep it at a safe distance from the ground! at full throttle.:rolleyes:

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hi Greg. The latest settings from the last flight now verified.
    The picture shows where I had the COG, exactly where the pen is located, the HVY 4s battery was positioned as shown. The weight, 21 Oz. And you can see that the COG is close to FRC Stock.
    Still, it feels very nos heavy when inverted. I'll move the COG about an inch further back before the next flight and see what happens. :)
    "Remember, this is a scale flying plane! " Yes of course! I will not forget it!;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Thank you F1. Your plane looks stunning as far as I'm concerned even when it's just dry fitted. Very unusual looking plane in a good way. Really nothing quite like it that I have seen so far especially for a score and fold foamy. Truly amazing job on this one. I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction out of just building it, flying the X-32 is icing on the cake. In the final last preps before the maiden flight. I am now permanently fixing the Gun Camera so on the maiden I can look at external and internal flight characteristics.
    I decided to go ahead and also add the KF4 foil after you and CeeKay discussing the wind affects. Besides I decided you put them there for a reason after much flight testing so on they are!
    Just a few more minor touch ups to the paint after getting the Gun Cam on and I'll be ready for a flight test. Success or not I will post my results.
    image.jpg image.jpg

lysle42, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Man, you got a Razzle Dazzle mode in your flying videos. I'm not a great inverted flyer,.. YET!

14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

RAZZLE DAZZLE BABY!!!!

Airflow likes this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ok, Take your time with your X-32, do not do anything hasty, you will regret it! It is better to practice inverted flight with a conventional model aircraft, a Piper Cub, Cessna, etc.

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks, as we posted in the beginning, we saw it in person and it looked so interesting. So simple and straightforward.... We had to do it!

17. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Soooooo.....

Greg lent me his prototype of this last weekend when I visited him. Brought it back with me...set it up on my radio..and flew it today. Too bad I never asked how it was supposed to be setup! So I assumed it was elevons and rudders! Hahahaha. Well...the plane flew...but it wasn't great...slow speed was good and full speed was good..but it had sucky elevator authority! FED50H flew it too and we didn't like it! Too bad I had no idea they designed it for V-Tails! DOH! So...word to the wise...do this with a V-tail setup! Hahahaha....it will fly with elevons but it has some spooky handling characteristics in mid speeds....it doesn't want to climb very well and kinda flops over in turns...lol....we had no problem flying it like this...we just didn't know. Video I shot of it is us complaining about it..so I may not post it..I will re-set it as v-tails and try again! Looked cool in the air for sure though lol

Dan

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

o_O That's the last time I give you one of my planes.

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Here's an unlisted video I never used due to the crazy gnats that were all over the camera (and my head)! This is the Guppy set up properly with Vtails. So, set up vtails and go to town!!!

Flybyknight22 and Airflow like this.
  20. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Lol

lysle42 likes this.