FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

CeeKay, glad to hear that you had a good day at the field with the guppy! It is definitely a unique plane in the way it looks and flies. If you are getting roll out on the top of loops, your cg may be a little bit back too far. If you can, try pushing the 1800 further forward. If not, try a 2200 3s and it'll disappear! That was one of the first issues we worked out during prototype testing.
    I've got max throws on the vtails for elevator, and partial throws on the elevons for elevator. The guppy needs lots of elevator to get the loops to be tighter, and what little tv you do get from the vtails helps loops too. Will you have video?

CeeKay likes this.
  2. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks Greg. I had the 1800 right up at the front of the compartment. I'll try the 2200 on the next flight.

I'm just going over the video now. Unfortunately the quality is very poor as I'm still getting the hang of using my SJ4000 camera - I zoomed in as far as possible to give better detail but the digital zoom ruined the sharpness. It's watchable though and gives a good indication of the performance.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Video of the maiden. Apologies for the poor quality.
    First flight is with 100% travel & 40% expo on all surfaces. Second flight is with 50% expo and rudder throw reduced to 50%.

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looked much more tame in the second clip. Good flying! Sounded windy too. Looked really good in the air, CeeKay! Love the r2 unit!

CeeKay likes this.
  5. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

CeeKay,
    Your video looks ok to me. The banks looked good and the flybys were nice. It's good to see how the Guppy flies. I added 1-1/2 inches to the stabilizers after watching Dave's flight but have yet to fly mine as it is still too wet. Thanks for posting up the video.

Airflow likes this.
  6. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

It was a little gusty and normally I'd be expecting to be buffeted around but the KF4's made such a difference!
    It certainly felt much tamer in the second flight. Just a pity about the long grass getting in the way of my low pass :p

Should have mentioned this earlier, the plane needed no trimming whatsoever. Great design from Greg & Jay.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Airflow and Flybyknight22 like this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Failed... lol. Pilot error:D

A not so good first 4s 2000mAh testflight, with the rudders enabled.
    720p HD

8. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey guys, keep working on your X-32's - they are "children-chasing-fun"!

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Dave, this was so good! This is exactly what the guppy was made to do- don't take it too seriously, have fun and make people laugh. The flying in this is awesome and the family time is priceless. So good I liked it twice!:D I'm watching it again...

10. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Ha! Thanks. We all like this plane for dopey fun time. Shan is using it to get some flight training in too.
    And in this video I had the MEGA JET motor on it!
    That bigger motor was part of the key to making it pull itself off the grass so well.
    Since then I took the skis off and put the medium motor back on it.
    Anyway, lots of room to try things out on, fun plane.

11. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

lysle42 likes this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Dave, very nice! That little boy will soon become a skilled pilot! :)
    And the video gave me an idea ... I will try it out as soon as the water in the lake gets warmer.

CeeKay and DavePowers like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Crash and forget. The cursed Guppy...:eek:

Last flight for a while ... have to practice with something that is easier to fly.;)
    [​IMG]

broken hinge... I never thought this was possible .. but I managed to ...
    In two pieces. Fiberglass drywall tape ... lol. Wow! HaHa!
    [​IMG]

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  14. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Wow man, that was a few good hits there.
    Hey, if/when you take it back out, try putting 2 inches of taller verticals on it.
    Doing this on mine was my little "cheater trick".

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Dave,
    Seriously, I'm pretty tired of crashing now ...
    I should probably never been away so long from the flight sticks. 3 months brought me back to the beginner stage ... Haha!

Maybe I follow your (taller verticals) advice when I get the urge to try it again ... I will take up my Su-30 again! feels a little more familiar with Canards, TV, Twins and DFThrust!! :)

16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Today was my first day out too Lars ... and yeah it felt a little awkward starting out. It doesn't help that it's still pretty chilly out too and my hands feel stiff when they're cold.

Good news was I didn't wreck but it did give me butterflies starting out.

...keep the faith. :)

Flybyknight22 and Airflow like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Lars, that's too bad! I wonder if it had anything to do with the smaller battery? Was it porpoising a lot in the wind? It's amazing how a heavier battery, bringing the cg up to spec, transformed the plane's performance! We normally don't do this, but this is a test video of our initial prototype which was a profile version. You can see what happens to the stability and performance once the cg is in the sweet spot- even on a windy day! This is why I stress the CG so much on this. In fact, we pushed the motor a couple inches forward on the final version to help with this. Also, you may have noticed that this was back in May of last year and we released in October. We had a very long development period on this!

18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Greg, I'll include your input in my analysis, I'll double-check the COG position. Even KF2 may have an neg. effect when inverted ... do not know yet .... whatever ... It is only 3 mm KF2 on the wing, it should not have any major significance ... I'll be back later with the details as soon as I have verified all the parameters from the last flight.

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thank you Tom! :) Yeah butterflies ... that's just how it feels... My self confidence takes quite a beating when crashing a new "easy to fly plane" like the FRC Gyppy, three flights in a row .... The same thing happened with my RCP F-117 V3 and my Double-delta Saab J35 twin. It was all over for both of them.,, just after three flights ... Obviously delta wings are my Achilles heel ... :p

Yes it is a bit chilly here too, but nothing that will excuse my poor performance ... :rolleyes:

20. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

My Guppy has been coveted by our club. Everyone had a go on it on Tuesday afternoon and they all loved it. So much so that I sold it there and then. Didn't want to part with it but I was offered a frankly obscene amount of money for it so I couldn't really say no. Besides, at a cost of £30 to build and kit out to PNP standards, it won't break the bank to build another. Actually, I've already built another one today so it'll be good to see them both in the sky soon.

Shannon, Flybyknight22 and F1wanabe like this.