FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hey! Hey! AirFlow that's cool. Your picture gives me an idea. Has anybody tried a piggy back airplane take off like the space shuttle attached to commercial transport? Maybe attach a small plane to a larger one with a couple of servos for release mechanisms, then detach mini-Guppy during flight from the Mother ship. That sounds like it might be fun. Oh well back to town to buy some "Tape" for my new tape scheme ;)

CeeKay and Airflow like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Fbk22,
    Hehe, well I don't know if I'm that good, thanks anyway! but I started my RC career back in 1991 ...
    Anyway, to fly without a rudder/s is pretty tricky .. especially when you're used to always have them there ... It's like trying to teach an old lazy dog... a new trick! Nothing happens ...:confused::)

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I would love to see a video of you performing a space shuttle launch from the back of a larger RC plane. ;) I think Flitetest have an episode on this theme ...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    lysle42 and Flybyknight22 like this.
  4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I have that old SkyHawk that I could put an NTM motor on. Then maybe build a super scaled down version of one of RCPs or FRCs designs as the "escape pod". My wing man "GhostRider" would fly one and me the other after separation.
    Need to separate on a very close flyby for best video. Maybe a very small Alpha Jet MK2 like RCJohnnyB is building would work as the shuttle craft. I think he is building one at 30% scale and that might be light enough. Scratch the old SkyHawk, I'm thinking Dave's RCP SU-34 may make a good launch platform because of its large wing and ease of flight for overall control. Yeah, my Zulu Squadron hommies can help with logistics, chase planes, emergency vehicles etc. I'll start a new thread when I get started on the SU-34 unless somebody beats me to it. Should be fun.

lysle42 and Airflow like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

FBK22, Wow:cool: !! So you're going to launch such an exciting project! Man... Well., Blame it on me in case something goes wrong!:eek:
    Sadly, it is an ocean between us. Otherwise we would have been able to try my FRC Mk2 XL as a mother ship, big and powerful with four motors powered by 4s batteries. But I think a normal sized RCP Su-34 will do the job with an NTM and a 4s battery.

If you decide to start this job, good luck! It will be interesting to follow the project!:)

A lot of power for heavy tasks, FRC Su-37 Mk2 XL Quatro. :D

lysle42 and Flybyknight22 like this.
  6. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Wow Airflow, some pretty radical moves there! BRAVO!!!

Flybyknight22 and Airflow like this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

pileit1 Thank you! will improve it for the spring tests, I am going to replace the two NTM 2700kv's in favor of two TGY 2200kv motors. In order to reduce weight. Four TGY 2200kv's, with four lighter 40A ESC's and two 4s batteries instead of three, will do the trick.

F1wanabe likes this.
  8. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

It's gonna be a BEAST!!!

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah ..:cool: We'll see, hopefully.. ;)

10. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

WHOA,.. "YOU got the Power".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Airflow likes this.
  11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yeah hooking up with you on this deal would be an absolute Hoot for sure. Might be laughing to hard to fly! No doubt it would be good times.
    So according to ScottLott's formula in the SU-34 thread it looks like maybe, roughly we need to be at 40oz or less for the combined weight of mother ship and shuttle craft for a decent chance at flight? Might need to go with the zoom 450 instead of NTM to save a little weight. No doubt the SU-34 is good to go at that weight and under. Question is, will an FRC Alpha MK2 scaled at 30% fly??? Got a Turnigey 1400KV motor to test out on the scaled down Alpha. Might could do a 50% scale on the Alpha instead cause it only needs to fly one time, use very small amounts of Foam-Tac on it just to hold it together for one pass after lift off/separation. Maybe 25oz on the SU-34 and say 15oz on the Alpha? Hmmmm The Su-34 has so much lift maybe it can come in heavier, say maybe 30oz or so. A miniature X-32 might work also as you can hide the prop inside the plane. That way its prop won't shred the SU-34 on separation. Lots of things to think about on this one This should be interesting. Well we shall see,.. Now back to finish taping the Guppy ;)

Airflow likes this.
  12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Airflow was this what you were referring to by Flitetest? It was cool but done at a fairly high altitude so not so much of a dramatic video effect. It's a fairly long video and separation occurs about 1/3 of the way through. The launch mechanism looked a bit heavy and somewhat cumbersome but it did finally work on their second attempt and that's the main thing. The mother ship was a puller and not a pusher like the X-32 and SU-34 which might have kept prop contact to a minimum. I still think the RCP SU-34 and a mini-FRC X32 Guppy would be tight. Gotta get this done ;)

Airflow likes this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

hmm.. I think that a 30% Alphajet will be too small to fly well ... My suggestion is to scale up the Su-34 to 115-120% Then you can build your Alphajet in 50-60% scale. And yes, a 450 Zoom is probably a better choice! than the NTM.

F1wanabe and Flybyknight22 like this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

No, I have not seen that episode, the one I mean is older.
    Yes a smaller X-32 sounds like a good one on top of the Su-34, just as a glider perhaps! to start with?

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scaling up the SU-34 is a good idea!
    That sounds good.

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Absolutely! Do it!

F1wanabe and Flybyknight22 like this.
  17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Already got the plans printed out for the SU-34 now I need to print out a mini X-32 at about 50%
    and see what this looks like. I think I would rather go with the mini Guppy for less prop interference.
    X-32 is a way quicker build also, no paint just slap it together. Should work with X-32, then go to work on a servo release mechanism and cradle of sorts to hold it onto the SU-34. Need to test fly the scaled down X-32 to see what it can do first. Heck I ain't even flown my full sized X-32 yet!!! RCP connected to FRC scratch builds,.. who would have thunk it! ;)
    No Time, No Time!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The Guppy at 50% Sounds great! Good luck, don't let me interrupt your work! ;) The weekend passes quickly, as always ...

CeeKay, F1wanabe and Flybyknight22 like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ahh, a nice and sunny spring day, but the wind is increasing ... weekend of course ...
    Brought life into the rudders, simplest solution, just 1 servo with a link between the rudders. 2000mAh 4s in the box.

[​IMG]

CeeKay and Flybyknight22 like this.
  20. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Maidened the Guppy this afternoon. A few quizzical looks from fellow fliers at the club as they'd never seen the design before, it flew brilliantly. Ran a 3s 1800mah pack and got about 7 minutes of flight time with 25% left in the battery.
    Haven't put low rates on (I did reduce the rudders to 50% throws as Dave suggested) but I have 50% expo on everything . Elevon & rudder setup was good although the rudders were a but vicious. Rolls are great but loops need more speed on entry and I needed to back off the pitch at the top of the loop to prevent rolling out. I'm going to try a V-tail setup and see if that makes any difference.

Great plane, such a joy to fly and it looks really good in the sky.

I'll edit the video when I get home and share it with you all.

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.