FRCFoamies Boeing X - 32 "Guppy" Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 20, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Lars, that really isn't funny if you think about it, but I was cracking up while reading that! In fact, I reread it when I got to a customer because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss a detail, haha! Only video would have made it better. Too bad about the Guppy, but it flew OK for the wind! Without any meaningful TV its a struggle to fight the wind. SO, all I could think of is why thqat guy didn't run into the pole to bring down the power line! That thing is a menace!

lysle42 and Airflow like this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I was trying to wrap my mind around this guys vehicle. If he's taking out mailboxes with this much regularity. ... his poor truck must have been beat to death.

Easy to identify.

lysle42 likes this.
  3. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks Dave. I haven't programmed low rates in yet but I'll use your suggestion as a starting point.
    Cheers Greg. I'm quite pleased with it. It's all done with hobbyking wing tape and car detailing stripes. You can't really see in that photo but there are some pretty cool "squadron" markings on the inside of the fins and on the sides of the fuselage.

I've been searching my local toy stores for a droid figure but there's nothing around at the moment. My droid is made from the top of a Kinder Egg toy container.

F1wanabe and DavePowers like this.
  4. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

"Squadron" markings :D[​IMG]

Flybyknight22, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  5. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

Im in process of building the "Guppy" myself. Cant wait to get it up and hopefully it wont crash like my SU 34 did, still haven't gotten it up and flying again, its done but it taking a break. I've wanted to do the guppy when I started scratch building but there was no pans till now. it looks like a winner. I wonder if I put a 1100 kv motor on it, will it fly? hmmmm, may have to try it. Anyways, Ill post some pics up when its done.

6. jacktores69

jacktores69 Airman

thats an idea, I have some of those myself. I have two a 700 mm 12 blade EDF engine.

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

lysle42 likes this.
  8. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

Imagine a 700mm ducted fan :O

TomMonton and CeeKay like this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah, achilles A good idea! Or maybe I need to change my attitude to "how to" fly a foamie ... with more respect and less "it's just a piece of foam" ... kind of ... Attitude ... This never happened back in my Balsa era
    ...Simply an attitude problem, my lack of fear of crashing things made of foam ;-)

achilles and lysle42 like this.
  10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha yes! and it will probably take me a few more. before I find the right setting, suitable for my style :)

lysle42 likes this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Lol. I'd like to see that one. An EDF the size of a small lawn mower.

lysle42 likes this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Greg,

The Guppy is in fact very stable, but its low weight (15 oz) and my inexperience in flying without rudders, making it all very exciting! hehe!! I have also tested it with a 2000mAh 3s. (increased weight to 19 oz) It did the trick when it's gusty! But I need to activate the rudders pretty soon before I crash it completely.:eek:

"SO, all I could think of is why thqat guy didn't run into the pole to bring down the power line! That thing is a menace! " .. Yeah! Agree, strange.., he just seems to like mailboxes ...

As you mention Greg, That mailbox marauder was a threat to everyone, especially the children... So I'm glad it's over ... hopefully!
    a former security officer at F7 Wing ... The same air base where I once served.
    But the bottle took over his life and that marked the end of his Air Force career.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    F1wanabe and lysle42 like this.
  13. lysle42

lysle42 Ace Pilot

Darn just the paint booth is more of a good Idea than I could come up with great job!

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Gorgeous paint job man!

CeeKay likes this.
  15. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks a lot.

16. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

WHAT? No Paint? Just Tape?
    Man CeeKay, I'm thinking about throwing my airbrush in the trash after seeing your tape job. I never would have guessed it wasnt painted. Amazing CeeKay, I surrender to you!
    Love the look of your X-32.

CeeKay likes this.
  17. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thanks a lot. It's really down to a nice clean design from the boys at FRC. It made it so easy to create the scheme. It's the second model I've used the car stripes on- previously tried it out on my Bixler 2 [​IMG][​IMG]

F1wanabe, Airflow and Flybyknight22 like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I DIG IT!
    That Bixler is sharp. I like flying those kinds of planes. I like the low stress flying, slow flow and glide of the large wing. I modified a SkyHawk with all new electronics and Grayson out runner. I added ailerons to it and extended the elevator and rudder surfaces then added a KFM2 airfoil. I have been flying it for several years. I have been trying to decide what to do on my X-32 stabilizers and your "Chevron" look is amazing. I might try something similar on the tail of the Guppy.

CeeKay and F1wanabe like this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Guppy flies pretty well even without rudders, that's interesting. I thought you flew it very well, especially without the added control surfaces. You are a superior pilot than I am as I need "ALL" control surfaces and sometimes even that's not enough ;)

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.