FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Hey Greg I just flew the one you built me. its still alive and kickin. I will fly again tonight if the wind is still calm for a light show for the truckers sittin here with me at the TA

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Don't worry about the wind AsSouls! I fly the Alpha jet in all conditions! I love it!

ASD likes this.
  3. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

My Dad and I flew together with my Brother and Apimensky (an RCPowers member that I saw maiden his F-22 on youtube and recognized the mountain where he was flying :) ) Unfortunately, my Dad had a very hard crash on one of his favorite airplanes, a custom built bi-plane/slowstick with full controls, LEDs on all surfaces...a plane that he had flown a lot. He was heart broken after his crash.

I decided to cheer him up, that since he had enjoyed my Alpha Jet so much, it was time to build one for him. I told him to put his crash out of his mind, to come with me because I was going to teach him to build his own foam planes.

Long story Short, 5 hours after his crash, we completed his Alpha Jet. It took longer than it should have because I was teaching him construction techniques as we went. We were tired yesterday and didn't finish before dark, so we are going to get back together tomorrow to maiden his brand new Alpha Jet!!!

With the death of one plane, came the birth of another!

If you look in the picture below, you can see the custom biplane slow stick that he destroyed. The picture doesn't show how bad it really is. The electronics are even completely smashed, a brand new 3500 mah battery smashed, wings are torn all over, 4 aileron surfaces pulled free and control rods pulled loose, (servos, 4 aileron, 1 rudder, 1 elevator, 1 bomb drop all appear to have been stripped - plastic gears - ugh!) esc smoked. Like I said, picture doesn't do the carnage justice, but...Look at him smile. The birth of an Alpha Jet can't help but make the broken hearted smile!:) SAM_1243.JPG

Airflow, Incisal, ASD and 2 others like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Great story, Bryce. Too bad about the bi plane, but I'm glad the Alpha Jet was able to bring a smile to your Dad's face! Charge up the camera for that flight!

5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Incisal and lawrenceb like this.
  6. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

My Dad and I flew our Alpha Jets tonight! What fun! He didn't reallize that an airplane could be so easy to fly. He was rather timid with it, as he is not the most experienced pilot. I maidened it for him, got it all trimmed out and then he re-maidened it after it had been trimmed out and flew nice lazy circles and had a perfect landing. Then we put them both in the air together and flew together. There's nothing like the roar of multiple alpha jets in the air!!! Thanks for a great design Jay and Greg!!! You lifted his spirits with this design. Saturday's crash was devastating to him, but he seems to have forgotten all about it now.

Video's coming soon.

My wife was there and I am confident that she will have done a good job with the video. She got some of me flying before and after Dad's maiden. I love to toss that thing around. You can be extremely aggressive or just enjoy a relaxing circle around the park like Dad.

Great job.

All up weight on Dad's plane was only 15.5 ounces and it just floats like a feather. Mine is a beefy 22 oz now, but fly's like a champ!

7. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Bryce,
    It looks like there is no room on the inn?
    My goodness, where do you sit?
    It appears like you have a family room full of fun!
    All I see is smiles. Good luck on the newest alpha jet!
    I maidened alpha 3. I to wore a smile this evening even with a crash or two. Nothing that a little tape couldn't fix.
    Great way to end the summer, still lots of flying left though.
    See you in the next video.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

FatherAndSons likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent, Bryce! The alpha jet at 15/16 oz is really amazing to fly. Can just float or fly fast. My favorite is that with the mjv3 with 1800. Can't beat it! BJ has the 450 zoom on his and it is also nice. Can't wait to see video! Glad dad enjoyed it too!

9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

10. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Hey guys. I haven't had time to put together my Dad's Maiden video yet, but while I work on it, here is an unedited video of me flying the Awesome Alpha Jet! Nothing special here, except for me having a blast, my Mom and wife gasping each time I come close to the ground (Poor Mom has watched Dad impact the ground and destroy so many planes that her heart just can't take so much low flying fun, but as her son...I fell obligated to keep her heart healthy by giving it a work out :) :p )

The other thing that you can see in this video, is a "wind sock" that I made. It folds up and fits in my flight box very easily. If anyone wants to make one, I made it from an old dome tent pole. I just removed the elastic from inside the pole, cut the pole sections to length so that they would fit in my box and then re-ran the elastic through the pole. It goes together and stores very quick and easily. In my area, the wind is always shifting directions, so...while I don't really need it, I like to see what the wind is doing while I fly.

Speaking of the wind, that is one other thing that makes me like the Alpha Jet. Awesome flight characteristics even in the wind. I think the wind during this video was probably about 10 m.p.h. Nothing spectacular, but the Alpha Jet handles it so well. Enjoy the unedited video and look forward to My Dad's Alpha Jet Maiden...coming soon:

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Alright, Bryce, would you stop it with the scenery already?! That's why I call your wife the cinematographer! Great flight, and you are being modest when you say it's nothing special. The inverted flying in that wind was great!

12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Awesome Bryce, totally agree on the scenery and a really good flight, excellent inverted.

13. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Bryce, that was very nice. Are those safety nets for uncontroled landings?
    Your wife does you credit with that nice video recording.
    That looks like a pleasant evening with the mountains in the back with a beautiful blue sky!
    I was flying mine last night in the dark and it was fantastic. There is a nice difference when the lights are inside the plane compared to being attached to the outside.
    Well done!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

14. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Excellent flying! Enjoyed mom's comments too. :)

- Matt

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, I have to re-watch! I was driving and could not hear the commentary!

16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Mom's and Kirsten's (my wife) comments always make it more fun.

Greg, watching the video while driving!?!? It isn't even legal to text & Drive here (I don't know about PA :eek:), but i don't think there is a law about watching Alpha Jet videos while driving, so...I think u r ok :D

Unfortunately, the reason Mom is so worried when I fly is because she is always with my Dad when he flies and....he rarely brings his planes home in one piece, so when i get close to the ground or fly aggressively it always gives her heart a work out :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Fyi...dad hasn't wrecked his Alpha Jet yet :eek: Built it for him last saturday when he wrecked his favorite plane. Since then he had a bad crash with his only other flight worthy plane. Now his Alpha Jet is his only flyable plane and he really really likes it so far!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, I was in traffic at the time (NJ crews closing 2 of the 3 lanes for crack repairs during the day!) but it was still hard to hear on my phone. They have talking and texting laws here, but if I tell a police officer I was watching a video I'm sure he'd let me go. :p
    Still a great video, and glad dad likes the alpha jet, Bryce!

19. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Well here is some Alpha Glow video of my #3 Alpha that I have built. It's not edited, just what you see is what you get. I have sat here for quite sometime trying to figure out how to edit my video's, you know cut out all the flying so far away, useless video no one can see. My crying when it crashes, you know what I mean, we all do it. I just don't have time to do it justice. I just cant take a video without my bushy caterpillars showing up. Sorry they need a trim.
    So Here are 6 video's that I took of my alpha glow. I have flown it many times.
    My preference is put the lights on the inside of the plane, Bryce, with bright colors that will glow in the night, meaning not black color. I don't think it will shine through. I like Lt Red, pastells, yellow, colors the light can shine through. I'm a man who likes Pink;).
    My dog really loves the planes, he runs right under them until he can't run anymore. When It lands he just runs by it and looks at me as if to say, " Come on, get that thing up again for another go!"
    Of coarse, I do until the batteries run out. I think he likes it as much as I do.

I'm sorry that I haven't replyed to your comments on you tube. I didn't know there was any. I will look through them and respond to them.
    I forgot to say, every time I landed was only because I crashed it. So I really have 7 video's. So I had seven crashes that night. I took these video's because I needed light for the maiden to do adjustment etc. I became more darker as I went along. The only draw back is , When it gets dark don't fly it to far away from you, because I lost orientation of the plane the further out it gets in the dark.
    I love this plane and am so glad that you have made this available to us Jay and Greg.

Airflow and MacLarry like this.
  20. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Fun videos! It seems that the Alpha Jet was meant to fly High Alpha, Glow and give the dog a work out. Yours sure seems to like it
    :D

Incisal likes this.