FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Here comes the movie, my first RC-night flight in 18 years, so I took it pretty easy. My converted LED string worked without any problems. It was easy to choose the color scheme via my homemade servo switch. Even the warp core (F1) ;) remained stable throughout the flight.

2. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

That was amazing airflow. I liked it. You can do about anything with those lights. The trees didn't even reach out and grab you. Thats alway a bonus. You can never trust trees. They are so unpredictable. Great job, two thumbs up!:)

Airflow likes this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Incisal, I hope your LED Maiden proceeds equally well, or better!:) The trees .. Well ... I currently have my polaris 50 feet up in a tree top. I pass very close to this evil tree in the movie, but it is not visible because of all the leaves ... It's been stuck there for nearly five weeks ...
    Was going to try it on the water, but ... If I'm lucky, it might fall to the ground during an autumn storm ..

4. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Love the lights. Which Alpha Jet was yours Airflow, the red one, the white one, the green one...?
    Cool changing colors! Maybe we should call yours the Gecko Alpha Jet as I've never seen a plane change colors so much and Geckos like to change colors :)

Nice job! I'm going to have to buy some L.E.D.s!!!

Airflow likes this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

GECKO, ALPHA BRAVO! :) F&S, O yes! it was a different experience! I really wish I had more than one Alpha Jet, The RGB Trio.
    You should definitely visit the nearest Home Center and get yourself some LED's. Make sure to get 12V lights. I was just about to order from HK when I realized that I had bought a set several years ago. It was not hard to adapt it for RC use.

...In an hour it starts to get dark and the wind calms down slowly ... ;-) Batteries fully charged.
    Over and out! :cool:

PS. I Like your new Mig v1 Good luck with Maiden!

FatherAndSons likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Walmart has 2 one foot light strips in the auto department for $17. That's expensive, but they have some that shine sideways that are perfect for the alpha jet. If you mount them on the intake structure inside, the light shines sideways right up onto the top wing. They are 12v.

Airflow likes this.
  7. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Airflow,
    Here is alpha jet #3. Excuse me, alpha glow !!! I guess I'm not to imaginative I followed F1 paint scheme. Thanks F1
    Ill need to maiden it and then ill take it out for a night flight. I'll share video as soon as I can.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

8. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

The picture didn't send sorry!
    uploadfromtaptalk1377294567278.jpg

F1wanabe, Airflow and FatherAndSons like this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah! Incisal!! Already looks like it glows! ;-) Well done!, Waiting for your Maiden, take it easy! because I'd love to see your "Mainden night flight" too!

May the gods have mercy on you. Good Luck!

Incisal and FatherAndSons like this.
  10. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Thanks! I will send both maidens.

11. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

The force is strong with this one!!

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, don't worry about the paint scheme, I stole it from George Lucas! That's the snow speeder look. Many people have done this scheme and it looks good with a variety of colors!

13. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

In any case, it is ready to battle the dark side. We jedi knights need to stick together.

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  14. stonednbroke

stonednbroke Rookie

so.... i finally managed to get to the end of this thread. (only taken 3 weeks lol)
    i'd already built mine before i found this but after reading the whole thing, only have one question really.
    does the bow tie style prop slot make a difference?

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The bow tie does make a difference for thrust and noise. On the alpha jet you have 2 prop slots- top and bottom. The bowtie in front of the motor tends to do more than behind as it helps deliver the air to the prop more cleanly. I like a lightweight power system like the mjv3 on mine, and you can feel better thrust after the bowtie. It's easy to modify after its built also. Good luck!

16. stonednbroke

stonednbroke Rookie

thanks Greg,
    i was hoping it would, thrust is not really a problem as i banged a 2836 2500KV (SK3) in it because she is a bit on the weighty side(26 oz) and the 2200KV wasn't cutting it.
    but it is noisy as hell, lol.

17. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to this glow jet flying tonight. This beauty was built by F1. I'm still working with the battery placement. Using a 1300 3s. I want it to tumble like boxermads in his videos. "Problem" is that once I put the battery in I don't land it until it is used up. Once I'm flying, this plane is too much fun to land:)

FatherAndSons, Airflow and Incisal like this.
  18. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

That's not a problem! The problem is only having one battery!;)
    Beautiful plane, you'll love this plane. It is all I want to fly now. Good luck on your maiden.
    I found out that I needed to put up elevator in mine at launch. It wants to be a lawn dart if you don't. It also crunches the nose pretty good to.
    I found out that if I set up the cog according to the plans its a little nose heavy. I believe this is to help the plane fly in high alpha. The up elevater trim corrected this and once it is in the air I trimmed it correctly. Now it will fly right out of my hands.:)
    The night flying is great. You'll love it.
    Good luck.:cool:

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I can't believe that thing is still in one piece! You are easy on your planes, Chip ! I maidened that June 18th 2012! BJ broke the one i made for him in 10 min! Yours was actually the test bed for some top secret testing we were doing , and the wing angles are actually slightly different. Yours is truly unique! One of a kind. Here's the maiden for yours...

Can't wait to see the night flying!

FatherAndSons and Wsamoset like this.
  20. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

Nice videos and pictures ,i wonder did anybody tried phosphor spray paint on his plane ?