FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

F1, So when your done you have installed 2 meters of lights. Do I have that right? If I have your last post correct 1/2 of the 1 meter length of LED lights will face up through the upper wing and as it wraps around the prop slot 1/2 will be shinning down through the belly?
    If I have this right, that make perfect sense. I'm glad you told me, because I was going to use only 1/2 the length of the meter string of lights on each side.
    Thanks again, I will do it as you suggest.

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I have 1 meter of lights on here. Roughly 1 foot down one side, one foot across the back, and one foot up the other side. But I stuck the whole strip across the back first, then bent the sides forward. Maybe if BJ has a minute he can snap a picture of it?

3. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Oh, I see said the blind man. A horseshoe design. Well I always do overkill on my building apparently . I ran down stairs and checked out the lights. I placed 1 meter of lights down the 1st wing as shown in one of the last posts you sent yesterday. Then I turned it around and headed for the nose of the plane on the inside of the 1st wing. It was 1 meter exactly. Well it worked so well I did it on the other side. I don't have lights crossing at the prop slot. I bet it will light up like a Christmas tree though.
    I guess on the next one I will only use 1 meter of lights. I just hate to rip off the lights now that I've got them glued down. Oh well!! ;)

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Guys, look what I found in the garage, a new Multi RGB LED string!! :p
    I remember I purchase such a loop, a few years ago for the house!
    It has remote control (IR), three dimmer modes and 20 different RGB light patterns, flashes, Strobo, Fade etc. It can be extended with more LED strings!
    A transformer which supplies twelve volts out. So then I can
    use a 3s Lipo instead! This will be fun! Especially for our kids.
    (A good excuse):rolleyes:;):D
    [​IMG]

5. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Airflow,
    I guess were catching the LED fever. I just did the soldering and I'm ready to go!
    That looks like it will be fun. Good luck

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, I see. With the lights on the outside there is much more length. Once you get them inside then you only have I think 14 inches on each side 8 across the back? Something like that. But its plenty. I hated using the green paint on BJ's plane. It felt like I used a whole can on the green part. But it shows up well at night. I think Yellow might too. but this way you can connect only one side to power.

Incisal likes this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thank you, Definitely (LED fever) Incisal! :-D I can hardly wait (ironic) for winter to come, when it gets dark before I get home from work. :cool: No mosquitoes either, you know ... ;-)

Good luck with everything!

Incisal and F1wanabe like this.
  8. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Jeff,

congratulations on the Alpha Glow!!! Video shows that you've got really good control and sounds like, u your son and friends were enjoying the U.F.O. Flying above your office! I'm sure glad you kept at it and didnt give up when your controls were so sensitive that they resulted in so many crashes early on.

Now i am going to have to join in the fun and get some L. E. D. Lights. Looks really cool.

For now, I have just finished a Mig-29 V1 & I am hoping to Maiden tomorrow - depending on the weather.

F1wanabe and Incisal like this.
  9. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

F & S,
    Yeah, I kept at it and it payed off. I love the plane and flying at night adds a nice touch. I wish I was there for your maiden flight. I'll be there in spirit though. I know you probably will have a great video to show us all. Good luck and stay far away from the ground. I usally do the opposite!:confused:

FatherAndSons and F1wanabe like this.
  10. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

when Jay and Greg and BJ were down my way for my Fly-in we had no less than 3 light up alpha jets up at night at once..we literally stopped traffic on the road near us...it was epic!

Boxermad84 and Incisal like this.
  11. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Here are a few pictures of how it has turned out so far. uploadfromtaptalk1377002400288.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377002436467.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377002458146.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377002472175.jpg
    You can see where I wrapped the lights around.
    I have included 2 pictures of where I doubled the depron in the nose, because I can't seem to keep the nose from coming intimately close to the ground. I don't know if it will protect anything but its worth a try.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That will certainly do the trick Incisal! I added a couple strips of clear tape over the LED's in the prop wash just to be sure the thrust doesn't loosen them. They stay cool, so the tape won't hurt!

13. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

F1, Great idea! I was thinking of all the grass and the occasional prop pieces that fly in that area, and I was wondering what I could place there for protection. Clear packing tape. Thanks.

Jettamandan,
    I am affraid I will be the only one that will enjoy the late night spectical. I am so far away from anyone that flies, I think that the occasional passerby will be my only company. Boy, that sounds pretty sappy! All I need is the moon at my back, a cool breeze in my face, cat like reflexes, coupled with my eagle sharp eyes and that is all I need for company!;)
    Happy flying!

14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Incisal, :) Very professional installation! If I had an unfinished Alpha jet, I would do it properly as you and the other Alpha LED Jet maniacs ;) here on the forum. But I'll settle fora simpler solution, do not want to make any major surgical changes, in my long time finished aircraft. That was stuck in a tree...
    This is my solution. IR transmitter has poor range, so I mounted the servo on top of the little box with manual control buttons. Therefore I can change the color pattern with my 9x without having to aim with the IR transmitter on the plane. The LED string is looped around a 3mm Depron tube. The air passes freely through the tube on its way to the motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FatherAndSons and Incisal like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh my Airflow! That thing looks like a warp core! Can you jettison that thing in case it goes critical? Haha :p
    I think the 2 strips I have on mine perform just fine, but kudos to you for your feat of engineering!

FatherAndSons and Airflow like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hehe Greg :) DONE!! Right back into the workshop after a magnificent success! My first Night flight ever with a foamie! I'll edit the film now:) , But my cheap camera is not good in the dark, the AJ looks like a twinkling star...No bright colors...But still, it was fun!!:D

FatherAndSons likes this.
  17. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Airflow,
    Captain, I'm given her all I got, I don't think she's gona hold. The Diletheum crystal are gona blow!!!! You have to have a scotish accent to make this work.:rolleyes:
    You are a man on a mission. I hope we can see some video. That is a work of art. Very ingenious!
    I used my contour roam camera, it even picked up my bushy caterpillars in the night.:cool:

FatherAndSons, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Incisal
    My master, I can feel it, it is strong, the dark force, it's out there in the night ... it becomes stronger ... the darker it gets. Will I resist it or not ... Do not know, do not know ..
    [​IMG]

Kiko12, FatherAndSons and F1wanabe like this.
  19. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Follow the dark side young patowon. The dark force will always be with you.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Airflow likes this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow, excellent! I usually don't like flashing lights but that was just cool! Great job!

Airflow likes this.