FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Puddle or no puddle. Train or plane. I don't think I can miss another one of these. It looked like so much fun!

2. okie86

okie86 Airman

The alpha jet reminds me of a puddle jumper from stargate :) had to say that you guy are talking puddles :D

F1wanabe and FatherAndSons like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

A couple excellent nights with the Alpha Jet. Flying the F18v3 has got me itching for ultimate high alpha and hover. The Alpha Jet has both!

4. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I did something that I have never done before. I attached led lights to my alpha jet. I tried it out at 10:00 pm at night. It was a beautiful night. No wind, full moon, and a modest peanut gallery. I put only one battery through it. It was a different experiece, but no problems an lots of fun.
    It will take a bit to get use to flying at night.
    I got all the proper connectors to make it work from hobbyking.
    The only problem has been trying upload the video for 2 days.
    The yesterday I put 6 batteries through my alpha jet and it was a gas. I loved it. This is one of the most fun planes I have.
    I have built another one, but I have waited to finish it to find out is it better to place the lights on the outside or under the outer wing.
    F1 any thoughts on placement of led lights? Inside the plane or outside?
    I will again try to post the video tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

5. what did you use to build it? I know Greg built mine with depron and it shines thru the depron just fine. He put the LEDs in between the wings

6. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I used depron. The lights on the outside surface really can be seen. I did play with the lights on a unpainted plane, and it apeared to glow. The lights I have are waterproof and has a 3m sticky side. So I can place them anywhere.

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

8. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I guess you used white lights in between the two wings?
    Does the light shine through the painted portions of the plane?

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Incisal, I put the led strips front to back on the intake area before putting the top wings on. You can see the location here..
    uploadfromtaptalk1376871701936.jpg
    Putting them under the wing illuminatesnthe whole plane with a nice glow and you choose the color so when many of you are flying, you know who is who.

Incisal likes this.
  10. look at my Avatar and this video. its painted on top and not on the bottom

Incisal likes this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

And the three of us flying...

Incisal likes this.
  12. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Looks good to me. Ill try to post the video tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Soon the sun will set a lot earlier and ill be able to continue to fly.

F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, isn't it amazing how you do not lose orientation at all with the alpha jet? I almost forgot it was dark out.

14. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Yes you are right. The lights on the outside sre kind of a blurr for me, but I sure knew which direction the plane was going.
    Ill put the lights on the inside and make sure I don't paint the bottom of the plane black do the light will shine through.

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I finally got the video to upload. It is obvious to me that my lights are all you see, and your lights make the plane glow. I will certainly place my lights on the inside of the plane. I hope you enjoy the video. Thanks for the help!

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Incisal,
    Thanks for sharing! Enough Alpha jet fans/fanatics ;-) has now convinced me that this might be a good idea for me during the cold dark Nordic winter. It gets dark at 3 o'clock in the afternoon during the month of December where I live.

Incisal and F1wanabe like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Great flying, Incisal! Welcome to the alpha Glow Jet club! I definitely think the glow help with orientation because the color contrast is actually better than during the day. The LED's are definitely bright enough to put inside. You don't need any on the bottom. When you see the alpha jet from afar the white light shining through the bottom really orients it in your mind. Great job!

Incisal likes this.
  18. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

F1, airflow, AsSoulsdream, and Boxermad84 thanks for the input. My new Alpha jet will be with lights inside for sure. It is in the basement of where I work. I left the outside wing off until I felt comfortable with where I wanted the lights to go. It will be ready in a Jiffy. If I didn't have to work I would be putting them on right now. It requires some soldering to complete the project. I do have an ampel amount of led lights. Red, Blue,Yellow and of coarse White. They come in 1 meter lengths and I have to cut and solder new wires on one of the ends. Both need connectors and off we go!!
    This plane is easy to build and a blast to fly. M other planes have been collecting dust and this one has got alot of use.
    I would be interested in making the 120 size with dual motors. Any plans to get this out to us in the future Jay and Greg?
    Thanks again guys. When it starts getting darker in a month or two I will still be able to fly. What a bonus!!!!!

FatherAndSons, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Incisal - "I would be interested in making the 120 size with dual motors"
    Yeah! That makes two! Jay, Greg?

Incisal likes this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Incisal, on Bjs alpha jet I carefully fished the 1 meter LED's across the plane behind the prop slot and then forward. His is very bright as you can see in that video. Mine had 2 feet of lights. The extra foot makes a difference! The twin is pretty much a prototype but straight forward to build. Only the motor mounts are custom. It is very important to make sure motors are completely aligned with each other. And two mjv3s are plenty! I use a 3000 3s battery for mine.

MacLarry likes this.