FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah :) why not put red/blue/white Led lights on.:cool: Happy IDP Day In the USA!

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ok Airflow! I'll fly it tonight!
    uploadfromtaptalk1372958517106.jpg

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Incisal, Wsamoset and FatherAndSons like this.
  3. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

That was very patriotic of you. Thank you.!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Fine! Exactly what I meant Greg. Keep clear:rolleyes: for celebration rockets during your night flight!! ;)

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, I managed to. But you could hear them going off in the background!
    Here's my first night flight. In order get it on film it's not too dark out, but darker than I'd ever flown before...

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Airflow, Incisal and Wsamoset like this.
  6. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Wow Greg. Looks fantastic with the lights on!

A bunch of friends and i flew in an airshow for Independence Day in front of a crowd that grew throughout the day to 20,000 people. We were the pre-fireworks show. Flew for about 4 hours. The Alpha Jet was a big favorite. Many many questions about it. You just can't see this thing fly in person and not want one :-() .

I'll try to get some pics and hopefully video uploaded in the next few days.

You've got me wanting to build another one - lighter and with lights. I don't think u can have too many Alpha Jets. Someone always wants to fly it and i always need another one...my wife will never understand why anyone could possibly need more than one plane ;-). I'm currently building my 10th 11th and 12th. She supports me...just doesnt understand :-D

F1wanabe, ASD, Airflow and 1 other person like this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

HaHa! F&S "My wife will never understand why anyone could possibly need more than one plane;-). I'm currently building my 10th 11th and 12th. & Q me ... She just does not understand:-D"

You're lucky! she does not seem to take this (important interest) as an addiction ;-)

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, after flying 4 (including the twin) I didn't fly one for about 5 or 6 months. Now I want to build and build! I'm into fine details now, beveling edges, underside of wings, etc to get it to look really polished. I am about to start my third one in 3 weeks!
    As far as light weight, that is key to keep the low wing loading for the effortless performance. I don't want to sound like a sales man, but foam tac saves about 2 oz over hot glue on the alpha jet. A mjv3 set up with 20 amp esc probably saves almost an ounce. An 1800 3s is as low as I would go, because you need a little weight on the nose for stability. So a small battery isn't the best weight savings. I'm at 17.5 oz with rudder servo, the leds and extra wiring which is where I started with on my original alpha jet unpainted! That's a sweet spot. Heavier and you lose the float, lighter and it's hard to maintain high alpha because the plane starts to pull up.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

captarmour likes this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Alpha Jet Kits? Did someone ask about Alpha Jet Kits?
    For the past few weeks, and at the Warwick fly in, many people were looking for laser cut kits. What would you guys think about frcfoamies kits?

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

FatherAndSons and Boxermad84 like this.
  10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

WOW, F&S! flying for all those people must of been awesome. im the same when it comes to my planes but my wife doesnt really support me, haha. i dont blame her, 8 planes in the house, on top of wardrobes etc. but i cant stop!!

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

ill have one please ;)

12. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Great video greg,
    This plane will be great with lights on it as you showed. I cant wait to add some lights to mine.
    Do you have any plans or info for the 120%? The twin? Specs?
    Did you find any help with replacing bearings on the ntm motors. I bought some boca bearings to replace and
    to reduce heat.
    After I got all the bugs out of my plane I can't wait to Build my next one or 120%.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The 120 % alpha jet is a prototype, meaning other than getting it printed at 120 % percent, it's all we've got! But, other than some motor mount reinforcement, and cf in the bottom wing, everything else is the same. It goes together really well! The twin needs custom mounts for each motor and the angles must be identical!!
    I have not changed the bearings. I'll look up those bearings for sure because this motor is just sitting there unused. That's a shame!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Incisal likes this.
  14. skelator

skelator Cadet

to be honest im scare to maide my alphajet as i neber flown anything that can do high alpha, i can handle flying wing well but high alpha plane never try them would ot be fine? :p

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Idzuwan, the Alpha Jet makes high alpha effortless! Of you can fly a wing, then the alpha jet would be a piece of cake. Keep expos ti 50 percent and you will be golden. There are only a few pieces, so it can easily be built in one night. You'll be amazed!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Incisal and ASD like this.
  16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

It really was fun Jay! One huge disappointment though...I just reviewed all of the video that my wife took and she didn't get any of the plane that I flew the most - the Alpha Jet :(. I'll post video of my other planes flying later.

I can't complain too much. She does so much for me and supports me more than I deserve:).

ASD and Boxermad84 like this.
  17. PlanetWayne007

PlanetWayne007 Rookie

IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0185.jpg Here's my two built from dollar store foam. I'm having fun! I would love a kit with proper depron foam! Sign me up!

18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

great PlanetWayne007! both look great, but make sure you wear your sunglasses when flying the reflective one. I agree, full depron kits laser cut out will be awesome!

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ready to fly. PlanetWayne007! When will you launch them?

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

My latest nose concept. One 6 mm piece in the middle of the nose. Battery located under the nose. This is nose number six so far...
    Quick and easy to build, it provides good airflow to the motor, and it is easy to charge the battery. Far from stylish but functional. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]