FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Incisal I'm glad it worked out for you The best thing about this forum is without a doubt all helpful members! I have learned new things from the other members who became involved in this issue.
    Thanks

FatherAndSons and Incisal like this.
  2. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I agree, airflow. I don't think I would have come to a successful conclusion if it wasn't for all the help from members like yourself and others.
    I want to fly it again, but the bugs around here are terrible and I don't want to put bug spray on me while I'm at work.
    Maybe later after work!

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Be sure to wash off your prop ;-)

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

FatherAndSons and Incisal like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ugh I hate it! Lots of mosquitoes and gnats in the evenings, when there is no wind and good flying weather .... windy weather keeps mosquitoes and other blood sucking bugs away. But the wind ... I want to have calm weather and the air:rolleyes: free from mosquitoes at the same time.!

Incisal and ASD like this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

ASD likes this.
  6. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Thanks again Greg, and Jay!
    Yes, it is exciting to have it fly like it should. It was just a cascade of mistakes all in one. I've never had to program my transmitter much, but this has really been a lesson for me.
    I will wash the bugs off of the prop and in between my teeth Greg!;) I need a breathing filter so not to inhale the little critters!o_O
    Thanks Jay for the great plane, I hope to get a lot of fun flying it now that I learned a thing or two. Two thumbs up!

Boxermad84 and ASD like this.
  7. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

a small update for mine..i had put a rudder servo in..and not thinking about it..stuck it right in the airflow..so i took that out this weekend and cleaned up the prop flow..hoping to get a touch more speed out of mine..i may also bevel and slice the leading edges down a bit for a little less resistance....even though it is not meant as a speed plane i feel like i am WOT too much to keep it going...i'm contemplating throwing one of my 3 axis gyro's in there just to see how it works...we'll see...

8. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Way to go Incisal!!!!!!!!! I knew u would get it. Persistence is the key. A lesser man would have thrown in the towel and would never have figured out the issues. Now u will enjoy this plane - and the hobby - for years to come.

What a great forum of guys! I love how everyone pitches in from all around the globe to make sure that successes like yours continue to happen.

Congratulations!!!!

Bryce

Airflow likes this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Dan, fyi, the 3 Axis stabilizer is to slow for the alpha jet. The alpha jet changes direction so quickly that the stabilizer fought my inputs. I was going to try it on rudder only. But all other control surfaces get foweled up!
    I found some good speed from beveling in front and behind prop slot, both top and bottom, Btw.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

10. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

ok good to know...i'll mess with it this weekend....

11. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I agree with you whole heartedly Bryce, It was an international colaboration!!! ;) I know if you don't give up, you will eventually find a solution, especially with help from friends!
    Follow the force! Don't give up and turn to the dark side!;)

Maestro and Airflow like this.
  12. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Jay or Greg,
    Have you done an Alpha Jet at 120%? If you have, would the megajet be enough motor to push it?
    By the way, I have been flying successfully since yesterday. I like to fly at a lesurly pace and I have been flying around the trees at the field. I am having a lot of fun!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

FatherAndSons likes this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Incisal, Sounds like you are developing an addiction already ;)

14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Incisal, yes, my mega alpha jet with twin props Is 120% and the mega jet would do well. Much lower wing loading at 120 % . I have twin mjv3 counter rotating props and I use a 3000 3s to raise the weight so that I can do high alpha and have the plane stay at altitude. With a 2200 3s it will just go vertical when props are barely turning.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Once you dial in the Alpha Jet, it is all you want to fly :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Yes, airflow I'm an addict with my alpha jet!!:D
    I have beefed the nose by doubling depron on the inside. It can take a punch and it only flys with a slight lisp!:rolleyes:
    I'm on my way to the office to fly it a whole bunch more!
    Greg,
    I went to town yesterday and couldnt resist getting another set of plans. The guy at the counter asked if there was anything else and I thought about it and said yes can you make me a set of 120%. So there you go, I have plans for 120%.
    I don't think I want to get to complicated with 2 motors, but I do have some hobbyking 28's and megajet. I want to use one motor to push it. So you feel one of those motors will do?
    I would also like to contribute to the alpha fund, when I attempted it was in pounds. What is the conversion?
    Thanks guys. If I can fight away the bugs I think I'm in for a great time!:)

18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

:) Sounds nice with 120% size! Maybe something for the future;-) Have a nice time in the air:D , with or without bugs;)

19. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I'm really liking how the plane flys as slow as you want or as fast as you want. And all the stuff in between:cool:
    Easy to build. Not complicated at all.:)
    I went to fly it, and some vamw in and I had to go to work!:(
    Unfortunately I didn't get to fly today. Maybe later before all the fireworks start.
    I am thinking about putting led lights on for night flying.
    Have a great 4th.

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Glad to see another addict! My 120 % weighs 28 oz with twin mjv3. So, you can expect 25 oz with a smjv2 and you bull need a 2200 on the nose for good flight characteristics. That gives you 8 oz thrust to play with. It will float for sure! It won't be the fastest. I might recommend a motor that will take a 7 inch prop though. Like the ntm prop drive 2200. The reason I say that is that once you start flying inverted, the prop wash coming off the 6 inch prop does not cover the. Elevons completely. The prop does not extend below the wing that much at that size. So inverted flying is not as easy on the 120 %.
    Let me show you...
    The alpha jet prop :
    uploadfromtaptalk1372956642969.jpg
    The 120 % prop :
    uploadfromtaptalk1372956708962.jpg
    You see how much less the prop extends below the bottom?
    youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies