FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Well, right after I posted these pictures, I took it up for a flight. It wasn't ptetty. It took to the blue sky with a couple of uncontrolled twists and spins and right down on the nose.
    Broke the whole nose clean off.
    I caught it on video and am in the processing of posting it.
    I'm a little frustrated, confidence shaken, but will keep trying.
    Ill post as soon as its processed.:(

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

2. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Oh no....I'm so sorry! Did u use negative expo and reduce your throws? I wish we could get it figured out. I know u must b frustrated, but don't give up. Persistence is the name of the game.

Incisal likes this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

... Frustrating .. Yes!! .. But what are your settings Expo and DR. I started with 50%DR. 30%Expo. About 50-55% throttle on my first throw. CG according to the plan. I can not understand what the problem is, because it's usually very easy to hand launch.
    Locate a field with tall grass next time. And just throw the plane with hardly any throttle at all, and see how it behaves, just let it slide down the grase. Check that the plane weighs evenly between the right and left side.

Incisal likes this.
  4. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Well, here it is!
    All the good and the bad. Hope you enjoy it. It won't take much of your life to see this, but I wish it could have had a better outcome.
    It's all fixed. I dropped the dual rates and canceled the expo's. Lets see how this works on the next video.
    Yes F1, I love the Ferrari colors. I have alway gone with yellow and red. I can see it!
    Hope you enjoy my misfortune!;)

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I know I sound like a mom, The start went well! The plane itself seems to be prefect for a successful flight!!
    Try (if you feel you have enough control, that you can do it ...) Try to get some height. There you can relax...

To me it looks like it's just about overcompensation. This plane responds very quickly to lever movements. And it could easily be a "roll axis Pilot fight", which eventually ends up as it did.

Incisal likes this.
  6. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

As much as it hurts me to say it, I enjoyed the video. I agree with Airflow in that it looks like over roll compensation was getting you. It still looks to me like you might benefit from lower throws and more exponential. It just appears to sensitive still. Eventually, you may like that sensitivity, but if it were me, I'd follow Airflow's advice and get some height to help you relax. Don't even attempt to turn it just let it climb to several mistakes high. In addition, I would cut your throws in half and give yourself more exponential. You've just got to get it dialed in, get the hang of it and this may yet become one of your favorite planes. Wish I could be a little closer to help out a little bit more.

I was glad to hear you in the video commenting about repairing it. It does look very repairable. Keep at it. Get it back in the air and eventually....I bet you will wow yourself with it :)

Sorry about the crash. Thanks for sharing the video!

Incisal likes this.
  7. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Bryce, airflow, f1,
    The dual rates were 40 low 60 high. Expo-50. As soon as I threw it in the air it was squirrelly. I just couldn't get control.
    I fixed the plane and canceled the expos.
    I threw it in the air and it did the same thing, mind you I was on low rates 40%.

I again had the same results. It was not horribly torn apart, so I gave it another rcpowers throw and off it went. It did not crash and I flew it around for awhile then just throttled back and let it float to the ground.

You are in luck, it's all on video. I'll post it after lunch. I repaired it again and changed the dual rates a bit. Well see what happens.
    I guess its not a failure unless I give up. I haven't given up!

I really like the paint! Easy to put on and bright!

F1wanabe, FatherAndSons and Airflow like this.
  8. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

If u were going to give up, u would have done it a long time ago. Love it. That being said, i know how much it hurts to see your bran new baby crunch on impact with the earth during an unplanned 'landing'.

Something doesnt seem right with your exponential for it to be so squirly. May be worth looking into it further to make sure it is working right and...reduce throws til u r comfortable.

Glad u got a flight out of it this time and yes...we r looking forward to video!

Keep it up! you'll get it.

Bryce

Incisal, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  9. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

One other thought that I had is to make sure that you said your exponential for both high rates and also for low rates. I don't know how the Futaba is set up, but on my Spektrum I have to specify what exponential I want on low rates and then I have to set my exponential for high rates separately. It is possible that if you were on high rates when you programmed your exponential and then didn't re-program your exponential for low rates, that you were flying without exponential to begin with. Just a thought as I don't know how your radio is programming. I could see where someone could make the mistake of programming exponential on either high or low rates and not doing it on the other (because they thought that they had already programmed it and didn't realize that it has to be programmed for both).

I guess it is just one other thing to double check.

Good Luck!

Incisal and F1wanabe like this.
  10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

11. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

Hey incisal,

Sorry to see that going the way it went.

I do not have my alpha jet ready for testing but I have something you should look at.

In you're video you start by showing endpoints and how they were the same.

And you say you're rate is 40 %

I think you're rate is somehow not really set to 40 % cos you still have way to much throw I think.

I will try and get a vid up showing my throws!

Incisal likes this.
  12. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Here is the 2nd attempt. I do feel that the expo setting is not set where it would be helpful to my flying. Getting this in the air and getting control is something that was not happening. I somehow had to get control to get some altitude, but as you can see that was a failure for me.
    I did remove expo's, but as you mentioned Bryce, I removed it off of Low rates and not High so when I was flying it was on -50%. I did have control of the plane. It was very quick and it could have gotten away from me very easily.

It all comes down to pilot and programable error.

I wonder if to much throttle has an effect of the plane, because when I threw it, it wanted to roll which set off trying to get control of the plane. Torque roll?

Thanks Airflow, Bryce for your help. It's again all repaired and ready to go. I will video the next flight until I get this right. If you guys don't mind. I don't want to bore anyone with my delema.'

I think I will put -50 expo's back into it and not give so much throttle when taking off. Both on High and low rates.
    Thanks guys, hope you enjoy the this video.
    Incisal

FatherAndSons and Airflow like this.
  13. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Thanks Maestro,
    Notice my catepillers? Just for you!
    I will check my throws again and give it a toss in the air.
    I look forward to your video.
    Incisal

14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

F&S, Well this error can easily happen if you are not aware of which mode you are in when you start to program the radio. I noticed the mistake on my first flight with my RCP Extra. , Fortunately I was at a comfortable height.

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Finally! Congrats! Now you got the chance to get the feel of it! Then it quickly becomes easier! This is simply because you did not give up!

16. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

I love the caterpillars! But not when you keep lawn darting.!!

Here is a short video, damn my crappie English when I have to speak and actually say stuff.

Anyway my throws are at 60% which is 2 cm.

Airflow likes this.
  17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Looked great. It feels good to get a full flight out of it and bring it down safely. Great job!

In watching the last video, i suddenly reallized the cause of your problems were not pilot error, programming or mechanical issues. U R SHARING YOUR AIRSPACE WITH TO MANY OTHERS. I think those bugs ganged up on u and knocked u out of the sky. Looks like they r starting to reallize that the Alpha Jet is too awesome for them to mess with!!!!

Great job.

Bryce

Maestro likes this.
  18. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Maestro,
    Your english is great! I can barely speak it myself.
    Boy, your elevons are pretty awesome for you to need a tape measure that big!

My wife tells me she is going to trim my catepillars tonight so they may not be so spictacular on my next video!

Bryce,
    Those gnats are crazy! You may have heard me spit one out of my mouth while flying.
    The misquitoes, our state bird, are huge. It takes the fun out of flying when your swatting and flying at the same time. Lets not talk about the ticks!
    I was hoping to get another flight in, but there's a helicopter coming in and someone is getting flown out.
    I'll cross my fingers, hold my tongue just right, and do some chanting on the next flight.
    Always great to hear from you guys. Thanks for the help. Maybe my frustration lebel will drop a few notches.

Maestro and FatherAndSons like this.
  19. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Well guys this is my third attempt, and did we have a great flight?

I used every suggestion that you all contributed. I finally came to the conclusion that it was programing and pilot error. Frankly, it was only through constant persistance that we were successful at getting this in the air.

Conclusion for successful flight:

1-Programming radio properly, I had High rates set to high and low rates set to low. The expo's were set up on High rate not including expo's on low rate. This was over come by setting Both high rate and low rate expo's at -50%. The Expo's were set on +(positive) originally, which was in the wrong direction. This was changed to - (negetive) which was in the correct position. Dual rates are, 80% high rates and low rates at 60% now.

2- My RCPowers throw was to much for this little plane. I had 3/4 throttle to full throttle, and I would give it a hard throw. This was the same technique that I use on my f-22, which at full throttle litterly flew out of my hands when tossed. The Alpha Jet doesn't need that much throttle. I eventually, just gave it 1/2 throttle and gave a gentle toss. This technique worked for me.
    I found out that at full throttle the torque roll would cause it to roll on me which combined with all the other factors created a reciept for disaster.
    Today was the first time I kept it in the air to trim it out to hands free flying.

I must thank Father and sons, Airflow, Maestro, F1, and of coarse Jay the builder. This is a fun plane and I am glad I stuck with it, because I learned a lot about this plane and my programable radio. If it wasn't for these guys and this forum I would have been lost in a lake of frustration. Thanks again, My confidence level is now up to normal levels!:)
    I will post the 3rd attempt for your viewing pleasure. I must include that the bugs were so bad at the end of the flight I was getting eaten alive. I'm still itchy as I text this!:eek:

FatherAndSons and Airflow like this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's more like it!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies