FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Me to Greg!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

2. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I appreciate the pictures you sent. I have a 2 inch Industrial velcro that I put the battery, reciever, and esc on. That battery box seem familiar? Just like the one in the f-22?
    How did you strengthened the nose? My 1st encounter with the ground will colapse the nose?
    Its a little windy today and the bugs are just terrible. So the air conditioning is feeling pretty good right now.
    Hope all is well? Thanks

3. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Yep, u guessed it. That battery box is just like the one that i built for my F22s - only modified ever so slightly.

I reinforced the nose by epoxying a couple of carbon fiber strips on the inside of the top of the nose - front to back - across where the top of my nose broke on a hard landing. if u put the alpha jet flat on the table, the belly of the plane is flat on the table, but the nose is not. By design, it slopes up away from the ground. Well, if u hit the ground with all the weight of the battery clear up in the nose, the weight of the battery puts a lot of force on the nose and attempts to push it into the ground. If u hit hard enough, the top of the.nose will break (just in front of the battery/electronics hatch door). I can take some pictures when i get home, if it would help explain where i had to reinforce the nose. Sorry i don't have a picture to share now.

Incisal likes this.
  4. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Yes, that would be helpful. More pictures the better.
    If you get time, PM me and let me know how things are?
    Thanks Bryce!

5. F&S, mine broke in the same spot so I usually double up the foam in that area. But I build with FFF

cuz tooling around just doesn't cut it, full stick and full throws

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

105 flights since my alpha jet had its winter weekend in the tree, so far five repaired noses, the fifth repair was done yesterday. :) No errors or any damage to the rest of the fuselage, stick together as if nothing has happened! , A Very durable aircraft.:)

FatherAndSons and F1wanabe like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Sold several alpha jet plans today (for the cost of printing) Lots of interest! Should see some new builders after the Warwick fun fly. Heard a lot of "that's the alpha jet" today.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

FatherAndSons likes this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Actually I like the thoughtful design of the aircraft's nose. It serves as a strategic weak spot that is easy to repair. It saves the rest of the airframe, which is usually much more complicated to fix.

9. Good point airflow

cuz tooling around just doesn't cut it, full stick and full throws

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

It appears that the Alpha Jet has become a hot potato at the meeting.;)
    Just a,,, Because the area is home to a beach for guys flying seaplane ... Just a thought for next year's meeting ... A more manoeuvrable alternative to Polaris/Sea Cat ...

F1wanabe likes this.
  12. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

It sounds like a challenge to come up with something which would do that.

On the other hand, the Polaris wing is already delta shaped, what would happen if you would just glue a second wing on top from top fuse to the side just like the top wing on the alpha jet.

The extra lift might compensate the weight penalty at take off and once airborne ??

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

a bi Polaris with TV it would be something :) or just mount twin hydro-skis on an Alpha jet.

14. jclassic1

jclassic1 Rookie

Weather has not been good enough to maiden my Alpha jet so I thought I would make a tractor version just to compare the two.Still not got any decent weather for flying yet so I will give the new one some paint.
    AUW with 1350mah lipo is 14.5ozs.
    I have fitted a rudder to help with the balance but also as a tractor set-up it may well work OK.
    John

Attached Files:

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, that is a cool idea, and I like the stealth paint scheme! The secret to the alpha jet lift an stability is with the Airflow between the upper and lower wing so the stability may suffer. Also, tv provides must of the control so maneuverability may be less unless you can get a good amount of prop wash through the plane. But being a puller, you should be able to hover well! Can't wait to see it fly!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

16. jclassic1

jclassic1 Rookie

Hi F1, you are right in as much as the flying of this set-up will be different to the mid prop alpha but it should make for a good 3D flyer.

John

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Here's my Alpha jet #2. I had time so I put some color on it. If I can get a few minutes I'll see if it can fly.

uploadfromtaptalk1372687449439.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372687482440.jpg

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Looks great Incisal! Can't wait to see it in the air!

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Those are ferrari colors!
    uploadfromtaptalk1372688394407.jpg

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Incisal! It looks very good, better luck this time!