FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

2. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Looked like a great day to fly! That is some beautiful country. I wish I could have been there to fly with you. You make it look so easy. Let me know where your banner tread lands? It hasn't stopped raining here. The misquitoes are huge. I feel like a dart board going outside.

3. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I know what you mean about becoming a dart board. I am a human mosquito magnet :eek:.

Get your Alpha Jet back up, you will love the feel of flight with this phenomenal airplane once you get it dialed in.

I did create a new thread for my banner pull at:
    http://rcpowers.com/community/threads/rc-plane-banner-pull.15544/

Talk to you later,

Bryce

4. jclassic1

jclassic1 Rookie

This is my first Alpha Jet but will probably not be my last.
    I am not a great lover of prop in slot planes but this one looks too good not to try.

John

Attached Files:

5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Beautiful finish on this alpha jet, John! You will love it! And then after your first inverted high alpha pass you will find every other plane is just Ok.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

FatherAndSons likes this.
  7. jclassic1

jclassic1 Rookie

Thanks Jay and F1,this has been a nice build just wish I had used white depron instead of the grey because this supply of grey depron is very soft and flexible.Thats why the rear fin is two layers thick just for the strength needed.
    I am using a 1450kv motor and 8x3.8 prop on this one but I do have a 2200kv motor if this set-up proves to be lacking.
    Jay,I hope you have a great time in the USA with F1 and friends,I have never been further than the Isle of Wight.
    One question -is there any reflex set on the elvons or are they set level.
    Looking forward to a reasonably wind free day for a bit of Alpha flying.

John

8. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I just wrote a nice post and lost it all somehow. :(
    I need some instruction and answers to some questions if you guys can help. I want to make sure I've covered all the bases and hopefully have a great outcome on the maiden #2.

I just finished Alpha Jet #2, It only took me 30 minutes and not 1 hour ,since my last building session, to finish Jay. This plane is so easy to build. I love it!

I have a Futaba transmitter, and the manual says that dual rates and expo's are the same. Is that correct?
    Am I suppose to use expo's when I am using the elevon mode, and dual rates when I'm using the traditional mode of ailerons, elevators, and rudders? I'm a little confused on this application.

I have the Expo's set at -70% high rates, and -40% Low rates. Is this about right?

Next, the plane is 19.3 oz total weight. I can't get to the High Alpha COG without adding weight to the nose. All the components are as far forward as possible without adding extensions to the ESC and Servo's. I am using 2200mah battery, 30amp ESC, 2200 kva motor, the same flight pack from Grayson hobby. How are you guys getting to the High Alpha Cog? Adding weight?

I will, of coarse, send video and expert commentary of the hilarious, but horrific event for your viewing pleasure.
    Please feel free to chime in on this post Jay, Greg, Bryce, Maestro, and all local experts!:)

Airflow likes this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Incisal! It sounds great!! to hear that you are done with your new Alpha jet! unfortunately I can not help you regarding Futaba issues. It may be someone else with experience in Futaba. I can only say that I started with CoG as shown in the drawing. It worked great. Did not have any extra weight in the nose. I hope and believe that you will get much joy with your new plane. Good Luck!!!

Incisal likes this.
  10. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

As far as the expo goes as i see it,it is a term used left and right for two things.

There is expo and throw having a high expo means moving the stick in the center will give little movement(for scale flying) while pishing more to the edge the movement on you're surface increases exponential (hence expo)

Throw is use to determine the maximum length or height you're surface can move or you're servo arm will travel. High rates often give much travel and much movement of control surfaces, low rates often give little travel and movement.

Wether you're futaba uses one or the other or maybe a mix I think you can determine by connecting and just trying it.

Do you get the same throw on high or low settings... Or does stivk movement varie
    I hope I made sense in my limited English. But I think you wil get the point.

I have only build 1 alpha jet, I have not weight it but I am not a light builder and often and also on this build put my servos way in the back close to the elevons.

On mine I liked flying a 1300 lipo way up in the nose better then a 2200 on the same most forward spot.
    The. Forward cog is only of use for high alpha, if you want to fly more regular the cog falls back just a bit.( is what I understand reading a lot)

But let's see what the experts say!!

Get those videos started, I have been waiting for a nice beaver shot on
    youtube

Energize!!

Incisal likes this.
  11. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Incisal,

Maestro explained expo and rates well.

Expo smooths out your movements - if you are attempting a nice smooth flight path with a slow roll, a slow lazy loop or just a slow circle around exponential helps to smooth out your flight and certainly makes flight appear more scale. Exponential makes your stick movements - near the neutral position - less than the movement would be without exponential.

Rates limit the overall movement of the control surfaces. You can use high rates to give a 2" deflection (at full stick movement) and low rates to give a 1" deflection (at full stick movement) of your control surfaces.
    Note: Those numbers 2" and 1" are random and have nothing to do with this plane.

On the alpha jet, I like my high rates to move as much as the servos will move, so I have mine programmed to move 125% on high rates. On low rates (which I never use any more on the alpha jet), I used 60% and it was quite tame for me.

Whether on high rates or low rates, I like 50% expo on the Alpha Jet, it is just my preference and you may like another set point.

I will make a separate post on my solution for the C.G.

Incisal likes this.
  12. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Airflow and maestro,

Its always great to hear from you guys!

I haven't been contributing to the thread until I finished this plane. I guess I've been lurking in the weeds.

I hope I won't disappoint you maestro, I'm sure my catapillars will make an appearance again, probably more than once.
    I agree with your observation. My owners manual says that dual rates and expos were the same, I just needed clarifacation to make sure I wasn't causing my problem with my radio.
    You know what the definition of insanity is?
    Keep doing the samething and expecting a different result.
    I deffenantly want a different result!
    After I, hopefully, get more feedback I will catch some video and post.
    Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

14. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Thanks Bryce,
    I know you are right, maybe there is something lost in translation from japanese to english in my manual?

I want to get it flying and keep it away from the ground for at least a few flights. Probably to build my confidence again!

This plane is so easy to build, the most time it takes is cutting out the patterns.

All I need is a calm day, a charged battery, and a boatload of confidence, not forgetting to hold my tongue just right, and ill be one my way.
    I don't know where I'm going, but there's no use in being late!
    Any other advice is appreciated!

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Incisal, the cg point for high alpha may be a little hard to reach. What motor /esc you using? I was using a mjv3 and 2200 3s.You can slide the motor mount forward to help, and my battery was all the way up in nose. But, stick with the normal cg or just a little forward and it should be good. You know it's right when you don't get wing rock.
    On the futaba, the d/r and expo are on the same menu, but they are different. You can have 100% throws but 50% expo so that your finger movements are smoothed out until you don't want them to ;-). On the alpha jets those are the settings I have. Btw, don't know if you guys saw my latest alpha jet?
    uploadfromtaptalk1371773592613.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371773619973.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371773640626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371773679883.jpg
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Airflow, Incisal and FatherAndSons like this.
  16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

As far as the C.G. goes, I had the same problem. Mine is exacerbated by the fact that I added material, servo, glue control horn and rod at the very back of the plane for a rudder (but I am glad I did :)).

In order to get a good high alpha C.G. as marked on the plans, I fly with my batteries all the way in the nose. I found it difficult to get a battery all the way into the nose, so I designed a simple, removable battery tray that I can first put a battery in. After loading the battery into the battery tray, I place the battery tray and battery all the way up inside the nose of the plane. The tray literally sits in the tip of the nose as far as it will physically fit. There is velcro on the bottom of the tray that attaches the tray to the plane and also makes it easily removable. This was the easiest way that I could come up with to easily place the battery inside the nose cone.

Note: because the battery's weight is inside the nose cone, it can put more stress than normal on the nose of the plane during a hard landing. The top side of the nose cone can be broken - mine did on the first hard landing due to the extra weight trying to pull the nose down to the ground. I reinforced the upper side of the nose to prevent it from breaking again in the future. After dozens of flights this summer, some with rather hard landings :eek:, I have never again had a problem.
    2013-06-20_17.59.56.jpg 2013-06-20_18.00.40.jpg 2013-06-20_18.01.05.jpg 2013-06-20_18.01.45.jpg 2013-06-20_18.01.57.jpg 2013-06-20_18.02.12.jpg

gubbin, Airflow and Incisal like this.
  17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Greg,

I love your newest Alpha Jet!!!! I've always wanted to do that with the lights, but...so many projects :) Alpha jet, should be awesome with lights!

Bryce

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

19. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Thanks Bryce and Greg.
    I to love your new Alpha Jet.
    I appreciate the comments. I will set my radio up as you have suggested.
    I'll charge everything up and give her a try.
    It's all over but the cry' in for me!

FatherAndSons and F1wanabe like this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Incisal likes this.