FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Thanks Greg.
    I got everything pulled forward, even the servos. Ill have to find some weight to shift. That is the answer to why it was a handfull.
    It was fun while it lasted.
    Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

FatherAndSons likes this.
  2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

3. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

2200mah 45c

4. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Jeff,

I loved the videos in-spite of the crashes (maybe because of the crashes :D). Don't give up on this plane. It is probably my favorite flyer right now. I have been flying a lot over the past few weeks and I haven't gone to the field without it since its maiden. Once you get everything set up right and get the hang of it, you'll love it.

I was very careful to ensure that I could achieve the recommended C.G.s (normal and/or high alpha C.G.) as shown on the plans. Because of the way I built mine, I also have to put my battery all the way in the nose.

Good luck!

Bryce

5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

One other thought. It almost looks like it is just too sensitive to your inputs in the air. Is their a chance that you have your exponential backwards (negative 50% vs positive 50%)? I remember reading about some radios that are counter intuitive requiring a negative exponential to tame your inputs when the sticks are close to neutral. My radios (Spektrum DX6is) require a positive exponential to tame my inputs, but I know that there are some requiring negative expos and if you used a positive exponential value it would have the opposite effect on your control inputs. What kind of radio are you using? Are you sure you got the expos and your dual rates set up correctly? Just a thought.

Keep it up. The Alpha Jet rules the skies!

Bryce

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

8. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

It was tail heavy for sure. I have a futaba and I put +50% expo. Are you guys saying I needed negetive 50% expo a side from being tail heavy?

9. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I forgot to say "oh crap"!!!

10. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I don't have a futaba, but i am betting this may very well explain the difficulty you were having with it.

If i were u, i would experiment with a negative 50% expo. Put the -50% on the low rate switch. Put the high rate switch on pos 50%. Now (while on the ground ;-) ) and with the switch on low rates - give the ailerons and/or elevator a little input and note the position of your control surfaces, then without moving the stick - flip the switch to high rates. If u have it set up correctly, the low rate switch should move the control surfaces less than the high rate position. (make sure that your high rates and low rates r both set at 100% for this test so that u r only testing exponential and not dual rates.

Good luck! I think we may have found the reason that u had such a tough time with it. I hope we have got it figured out!

Bryce

Incisal likes this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, on futaba you have to go - 50. That actually makes sense since you are removing sensitivity to input. But like you, when I first used expo on it was on the f117 v2 and I set the futaba at 50! Didn't work out too well! - 50 expo will make this thing fly steady until you don't want to! ;-)

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Incisal likes this.
  12. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Greg and Bryce,

Its a new day for me in rhe rc world.

Thanks for the information and kindly help. Showing my video's of the crashes really has payed off for me besides a little comic relief!
    I believe this explains a lot to me, how my polaris, and F-22 reacted to my expo inputs.
    I will do as you suggest. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words!:)

I'll let you know how this works out for me!

13. with a little practice this plane gets really fun and I agree it seem very twitchy on the roll. I fly mine with zero expo and full rates...

14. with a little practice this plane gets really fun and I agree yours seemed very twitchy on the roll. I fly mine with zero expo and full rates...

Incisal likes this.
  15. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I like your tail dragging! I imagine that was a truck stop? Those rocks can be alittle hard on rhe props.
    It looks like you added a **** pit?

16. Yes that was an attempt to build a starwars snow speeder that never made it

17. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Greg, Jay, and Bryce,
    Thank you all for your kindly advice. I found time today and I looked at my Alpah Jet with a set of new eyes and I put it all back together again. I would have rather been working, Yah right!
    What is great it that all the suggestions that you suggested about Expo's was correct. I needed "Negetive" expo, not " Positive expo" for my Futaba radio.
    I did as Bryce suggested and set my dual rates at different settings as he mentioned in the previous post. Wala, it worked and I had my settings wrong.
    At low rates with 40% and -50 expo, high rates 40% and +50 expo there was a feel and visual difference. At low rates with negetive expo it move slow and smooth, High rates and positive expo was very fast to respond.
    The only fly in the ointment is that it is blowing really bad, and we are suppose to get another, yes, another 4 inches of rain this afternoon, so no flying.
    I am sorry to say that I have everything moved forward and I still had to add some weight to get it to balance at the recommended CG.
    In my construction, I added a servo in the tail section for the rudder and I can't get at it to take it out without major surgery. I think this is my weight problem.
    Thanks again, can't wait until I can get it in the air!!!!!!!!!

FatherAndSons likes this.
  18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

19. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

I will video my next flight and post. It will be interesting to see how it does. I have my fingers crossed!:)

20. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Glad u got it Jeff! I bet u will love flying it with the expos dialed in!