FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

Heres to maiden! love this plane, it has a very smooth feel in the air but is unique at the same time.
    the only thing that concerned me was the motor not producing as much thrust due to the smaller prop slot. im thinking of doing a bow tie slot. other than that its great!

gubbin, FatherAndSons and captarmour like this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

captarmour likes this.
  3. captarmour

captarmour Airman

Nice video. Would love to see a time to climb comparison, inverted vs upright to see if elevon above may be as effecient as elevon below...

4. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

the response was great, it will always go where you point it!
    i dont think i have the CG in the high alpha position so the wing rock was more prominent.

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I was only joking, Wsamoset, about wing rock - I didn't see any! But several people talk about stopping wing rock so I thought I would too. Haha. Looked really good!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

6. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

haha, i just went to fly and moved the battery forward more and the wing rock was nonexistent!
    the only thing that troubles me is my motor is getting really hot and the plane feels heavy in the air but isn't (20oz with biggest bat.). i have cut open the prop slot more to allow more air to the prop, but still not much of a difference. should i try a smaller motor like the micro jet?

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The smjv2 always gets hot no matter what, so don't worry about the heat. But the thrust issue is something I felt also when I put the smjv2 on mine. There us a certain right airflow through the alpha jet and I have said before that the mjv3 or a rctimer 2212/6 feels better to be than the smjv2. If you have a 6x3 emp prop that might do a little better on the smjv2. I like the lower wing loading because the stability still remains even if you take a few oz off. At around 18 or so ounces with a 2200 3s up front it comes alive in high alpha.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Wsamoset likes this.
  8. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

ok thanks! im going to put a power up zoom 400 in it that i just ordered and see how that fairs up :).
    i have not flown with a 6x3 prop, is it torquier than the 6x4 and less speedy?

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

It is a bit speedier than 6x4 but less torque - ee? The emp 6x3 really impressed me on the power up zoom 450 on the su35. I have the zoom 400 on my polaris and is really nice. Once again, emp props need to be balanced before use though!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

10. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

metal note- n e e d s a n d p a p e r ;)

F1wanabe likes this.
  11. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

Yeah the motor a esc are great but I would use a 6x4 and more like a 1600 or 2200 mah battery instead of the 1300. But all that stuff would work, just not the preferred setup for the rcpowers planes.

If you were inside your plane... You would never crash.

12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

13. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Here is the maiden of my Alpha jet, As you can see I am only limited my my flying skills.
    It is a great plane to fly. On my first take off I threw it and it made a pretty good lawn dart. It tore the nose up, following RCPowers fashion I picked it up and gave it another throw. It was a handful for me, but it never dawned on me it might have been a bit tail heavy.

I finally set the throws for 50% and expo at 50%. It flew better for me. I had to set the 2200mah battery all the way to the front of the plane to get the CG to where I wanted. This was helped by the 2 inch velco tape that allowed me to place the battery, esc, reciever, anywhere it needed to be to get the CG where I liked it.

I enjoyed the plane and will probably enjoy it alot better when my skills match this plane.

Needless to say I took it out later and it came down pretty hard on the nose and it needs some more repair. The only thing holding it together was the tape that was placed from the 1st crash.

If I keep flying it I won't need to mow the lawn. This plane cuts grass pretty good. Now my plane is all green in the motor area.

I hope you enjoy the video, no fading, no sub-titles, no music, just raw fun.

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  14. Newt

Newt Administrator

Nice maiden! Keep playing with the cg until you get it where you like it.
    This plane will keep you happy for a long time.
    newt

15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

16. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Boxer,
    I have it at 50, If you think I should give it more I will. How much do you suggest?
    I need to do some repair and it will be ready to go again, but it's blowing pretty good at the moment and I will wait for a better day or maybe this evening to fly it again.
    Thanks for producing a great plane. It is a source of great fun!

17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Incisal likes this.
  19. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Thanks, I will! I will need to repair it again, but I am ready for the task. I think I have them at 40%. I am 1 inch behind the recommended CG. I think that may play a part in my demise.

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Don't mess with the alpha jet! ;-)
    Haha, but seriously don't! A few people have modified the alpha jet, or tried different cg points and have had lackluster results! Jay did his homework on the alpha jet!
    The cg on the plan is right on, and it flies very easy at that point. I go slightly forward for stability in high alpha, and whatmovesyou has gone back to try to get hover, but the thing not only performs better, but is easier to fly at the cg point on the plan.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

FatherAndSons likes this.