FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

ok just checking :), im going to be need ing a plane that can handle wind well when i go to my AMA camp (its in muncie indiana, very flat and windy). Got to show those arrogent balsa flyers what there missing;).

Boxermad84 likes this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh you'll show them for sure! I love launching into high alpha and circle a little, then go vertical for some aerobatics! And a 10 my name flight time with mjv3.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Wsamoset likes this.
  3. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

will a Super mega jet v2 work? i have two sitting around begging to be used.

4. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Boxermad84
    Has anybody tried it with a EDF for the alpha-jet?

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, the smjv2 does fine. The motor mount is adjustable for clearance and thrust is fine.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Wsamoset likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

7. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

It sure was quiet and plenty of power from the 4s 12 bladed system. I wonder what mm EDF it was, since the 3 videos didn't say.

8. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

The build has started :)! i want to put a rudder on it but im not sure how big to make the surface.
    F1 i have seen on your Alpha Jet that you have cut it half way up from where it meets the bottom wing plate, any recommendations on its size/placement?

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The main idea is to keep it in the prop wash and no longer. I put one all the way up to the top of the stabilizer but it would twist or torque the plane instead of yaw it. So, keep it short from the bottom edge of the plane to the top wing, but no higher.. That has plenty of authority because it is right in the prop wash.
    This is the video where I show the shortened rudder :

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

10. captarmour

captarmour Airman

Looks like the invited high alpha seemed more stable, less wing rock than upright. Am I right?

It makes me wonder how a flipped version would fly? That is the top flat instead of the bottom and the elevons mounted to the top. Possible as the lower surface trailing edge would not be turned up with 'up' elevon, it may create more lift at the rear keeping the AC aft relative to CG and possibly making it more stable in high alpha.

Aerodynamics is such an awe inspiring art form...

11. captarmour

captarmour Airman

Sorry inverted, not invited

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Captarmour, the inverted high alpha is stable, but like a v hull in the water it is limited in response to input as the airflow self corrects the plane. The alpha jet right side up is super responsive and with the correct cg will practically hover with no wing rock. So, it is great to be able to do that kind of stable high alpha while inverted, but that works against you in the aerobatics department where immediate response is desirable. One thing I'd like to say (again) is that I love how seeing this plane immediately gets the creative juices flowing on how to improve the performance of the alpha jet. I urge everyone to first build the plane stock to actually see how darn amazing it is stock. This will give you an incredible baseline to build from especially since you can build it in less than a day. Many people have taken the alpha jet and modded it without trying the original only to find it, well, sucked. :p

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

13. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

all cut out!:) man that was quick!
    can't do much more tonight, needed to study for my biology ECA thats tomorrow (200 points!:eek: )

Attached Files:

Boxermad84 likes this.
  14. captarmour

captarmour Airman

Could not agree more.The Alphajet is perfect as is, very nice.
    Being an aerodynamics junkie I like looking at designs to see what could be applied to other applications. What interests me from that point of view is the biplane interference with so much wing area. Are both wings at the same incidence? From the way she performs it looks like its beneficial interference.
    I'm presently thinking of a delta design with the box tail TE above the wing TE and wondering how to set it up for beneficial interferance.
    Thanks again

15. captarmour

captarmour Airman

I forgot to mention...
    The point I was really highlighting was not so much the flat side at the top, but the elevons at the top. So if the elevons were moved to the top, the flat lower side TE would not be turned up and may keep the AC from moving as far forward. Also the elevons in an inverted V may coordinate yaw with roll. Just an idea that may be tested for use in other designs.

16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

captarmour likes this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I have considered two sets of elevons one on top wing and one on bottom. However, having them on the top only means you will not have as much tv on up elevator since the prop barely protrudes from above the top wing. 80 %of the thrust is between the two wings.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

captarmour likes this.
  18. captarmour

captarmour Airman

interesting...could it be due to coanda effect the air may follow the upturned elevon giving much better than expected elevator authority, without the airbrake effect of it coming up right into the center of the propwash?
    if the elevon TE extends farther than the TE of the lower wing that may reduce the 'divergent cone' effect with an 'up' elevon, which may slow down airflow between the wings.
    up and down elevons open up a whole lot of interesting aerodynamic concepts. for example turning them in slightly to create a venturi effect to accelerate the air between the wings and maybe increase lift...maybe even produce a minute amount of 'thrust'...
    not coincidental to the above, setting the lower elevons as flaperons so they can be deflected downwards during high alpha...

19. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

almost done, should have it ready to fly by tomorrow :D!

Attached Files:

ASD and FatherAndSons like this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

ASD likes this.