FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice flying, Bryce! CG looked good second time out! Great to see kids enjoying it! So, you like?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Newt likes this.
  2. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks gubbin. I used an acrylic paint and brushed it on very, very thin. I believe it added about a 1/2 oz. to the plane.

Yes Greg, I LOVE IT! The maiden doesn't show it as I was taking it easy, but I am beginning to get the hang of it and I couldn't be happier. It can do anything! Extreme high alpha, inverted high alpha, inverted flight, tumbles, loops, inverted loops, incredible rolls, floats like a kite or fast like a jet. Quite a versatile plane. FANTASTIC!

Dad is coming over to see it tonight!

Thanks again!

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Say hi to dad! It does allow you to use your imagination while flying. It still surprises me almost a year later! Can't wait to see more!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

4. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

Tried again at home and now works. I don't know why.

5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

As promised, I have included new Alpha Jet Video below. The footage is not the best, but does show how quickly you can progress and become more and more proficient with the Alpha Jet.

As a side note, my Mom was quite unhappy with me when I called her today and told her that I had already completed the maiden flight :(. She told me that my Dad would be particularly disappointed and that I should not have flown it without them making the trip out to see it. After a good scolding, my Mom came up with a plan to keep Dad happy. I wasn't given an option, but was told that I would do another "Maiden Flight" so that Dad wouldn't feel bad or left out o_O. Mom taught me a long time ago, not to argue with her, so...when Mom and Dad got here this evening, we "maidened" the Alpha Jet. Dad is never to know that this was not the actual maiden or Mom will disown me :D.

He still doesn't know. Don't know if he ever will. I guess that is up to Mom (or if Dad pokes around the internet a little, he just might figure it out and then I'll be done for :eek:).

Just before they left to return home tonight, he said, "I have got to have an Alpha Jet. That thing is amazing." Maybe I'll build him one this year some time. Birthday? Christmas? Don't tell him....:D

Here is the video of my "Special Maiden Flight" for Dad, or "Maiden Flight - Take Two". Call it what you will, the Alpha Jet was a blast!

Incisal, Newt and ASD like this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

FatherAndSons likes this.
  7. BarryMartin

BarryMartin Cadet

A very nicely design, I really like it. And also the concept.
    Would love to see the video of it flying, thanks for sharing this ......

8. What's a MUM. oh oh wait you man MOM or Mother. Damn Brits with their slang anyways.. HAHA!!!

Sorry Jay gotta yank your chain!!!! :)

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Very nice Bryce! You really put on a great show! Amazing how much confidence you gained between part a and part b of the maiden flight! Nice verticals there. The rudder does add that extra little bit! Great to see the support you have from family. Also great to see that view!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

10. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

very nice...

My Alpha is in the car...hoping for a mid afternoon flight after i get out of work.....we'll see how it does in stock form and with a 1300 on board...hopefully my headband cam setup will work today...

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

haha, mum is the correct word for mother! mom is the slang word in my book!!;) its weird for me seeing and hearing the word mom.

ASD likes this.
  12. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

Repaired the AlphaJet on Friday. It's not the prettiest patch job but it was super easy, less than an hour. I reinforced the bottom with duct tape.
    [​IMG]

I took it back out today and it went much smoother! I went 100% on the elevator and @70% on the ailerons and it flew much better. I didn't get any footage this time but wow is this thing fun. I gotta say it can take a lick too. I had a couple of hard "landings", went through 3 batteries and feel a lot better about flying! Thanks all for the tips and advice.

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Glad to hear it gubbin! It is very tough! I noticed with all the videos I've seen that on the 2nd, 3rd flights things start getting interesting! Will you get video next tine?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

14. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

Nice!! When you feel like it you can always crank up the throws and you will get crazy manouvers !!

gubbin likes this.
  15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

gubbin likes this.
  16. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

Hopefully I can get some video next time. My fiance is currently the camera operator so we'll see. I've got my eyes set on a rugged style hd camera so that should help.

Thanks, I'm trying to get as much stick in as possible so I can fly with more confidence. The red duct tape actually worked better than I expected. I'm planning on building the next one from depron, maybe add a rudder and forego the paint to save some weight. What a blast this thing is!

17. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Bryce,
    Great video as usual, I won't tell a soul about your maiden flight part 2.;)
    I just went to the kinko store and had 2 plans printed up. Living so far away takes planning on when to get things printed. Now I just need to know how to build it. I have the F-22 to finish and this will be the next plane to build.
    I will be around your neck of the woods in July. We will have to have a conversation on this topic.
    Great job, and great build.
    P.S. I always did what my mother said!!! Mother knows best!
    Energize, (Star Trek trivia)

18. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks Jeff. Let me know when u will b here! Mother's do know best ;-)

You will love the Alpha jet.

19. OzFaxFlyer

OzFaxFlyer Cadet

Hey Thanks DW!! I'm really pleased you found them useful.
    I wish I still had the time to spend on RC like the AlphaJet build log - work is getting in the way at the moment, and I'd rather be flying!!!
    But I've just got Jay/Greg's F23 plans, and now if I sneak into the workshop.....

20. PlanetWayne007

PlanetWayne007 Rookie

Gentlemen, I am new to electrics. I need some help. Is the following right for this plane?

Motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12919__D2826_6_2200kv_Outrunner_Motor.html

ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2165__TURNIGY_Plush_40amp_Speed_Controller.html

Battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18207__Turnigy_nano_tech_1300mAh_3S_45_90C_Lipo_Pack.html

Prop: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8044__Master_Airscrew_propeller_7x4_Pusher_.html

Thank you in advance for your help! I have been flying R/C Glow and Gas for 20 years and this will be my first time venturing into electrics.

Wayne
    Lodi, CA