FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Tragic situation about the fish kill, but I'm sure part of mother nature's plan. Is that some species of carp, Bryce? Looks like some massive fish there and I know carp can get pretty big. Salmon is a huge part of the livelihood and economy here in British Columbia as I'm sure it is in Washington and Oregon. Last year someone had released a snakehead fish into a pond on a golf course, the fisheries folks were freaking out to get that caught and destroyed, if those ever got into some of the salmon rivers here like they have in many parts of North America, it would be devastating to the economy, they are a terribly invasive species.

Back on topic, glad to hear you at least got to fly the Alpha Jet! I built an RCP F22 V1, pictures posted over on that thread, should be starting on my F22 V2 over the next couple days, but the weather is supposed to be nice...so the time will probably be taken up flying instead...:):cool:

Cheers,

Scott

2. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

Oh it was pilot error for sure.

Thanks for the advice Maestro, your scenario makes sense now that I watch it. When it started to go down I panicked and didn't know how to recover. Once I get it repaired I'll adjust the throws a little more in line with what you're describing. The roll was definitely more than I could handle at 100%.

My v2 f35 has been complete for a while I'm just scared to fly it...

3. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

I can imagine you being a bit scared, that's only natural.

For a fitst time you seemed to handle that alpha jet pretty well. I really think if you turn down the throws, and crank up the expo you will be fine. Try to make subtile movements and les over steering. The expo and throws will help.

Go out on a really calm day and check everything thoroughly.
    You'll be fine!

Here is my alpha jet.. Set up like I mentioned.. The full elevator throws make me get out of trouble and the lower aeleron throws give me smooth flying..

Good luck!!

asimmetrico, FatherAndSons and gubbin like this.
  4. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

I've spent countless hours on my flight sim because the same thing happened on my v1 F35. It's heartbreaking when you spend a lot of time on something only to destroy it in a matter of seconds..part of the game I suppose.

Everyone here has been super helpful. Big thanks to Boxermad84 for providing these plans for free and F1 for all his amazing videos and input. She will fly again!

5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Ok....Ok....I know I said I would have my maiden flight posted yesterday, but....the weather has been perfect and because I had the day off work, I just couldn't stop flying long enough to get the video posted. I was to busy looking like this, :cool:, at the flying field.

The kids, soccer coaches, baseball coaches and my neighbors are all in awe (as am I). What they don't understand is that the unbelievable performance of this plane is not just me, but is mostly due to this incredible design!

What can I say? Let's see....I HAVE A NEW FAVORITE PLANE!!!!!!

Jay and Greg, all I can say is :DWOW, WOW, WOW:D

Maiden video is uploading to youtube now and will be posted here within the next couple of hours.

Since the maiden flight, on Tues, I have run about 20 more batteries through it (yesterday) :cool: . Since I have become more comfortable with it, I am pushing the limits of the plane quite a bit more, looping (inside and out), flying inverted (INCREDIBLY EASY), and performing incredibly high angles of attack in high alpha. By the way, during my first several flights, I wasn't sure that I was going to ever use the rudder, but now I can say that I really, really like it in high alpha and I am glad that I included it in the build. Thanks for encouraging me Greg! By the way, have I mentioned that it rolls like a drill bit.

One thing that really brought it to life for me has been advancing from 50% throws and 50% exponential to full 100% extreme throws. The performance difference, in all aspects of flight, is phenomenal. While I love the extreme throws now, I would not recommend starting with more than maybe 60% throws and 50% exponential (or so) just to get use to it. Note: At first, I was a little disappointed trying high alpha because my angle of attack was fairly limited until I increased throws to 100%. Now, I can fly in high alpha and be almost completely vertical. The observers at the field, can hardly believe their eyes as they watch the variety of high speed maneuvers in the sky by this airplane, only to have it park in the air right in front of them and hover like a helicopter. This plane is a blast!

One other real positive to this plane, is that I can fly it in a very small area. It does not need as much room to fly as many of the other planes that I have built.

This is an all around winner. I would encourage all to build it.

Having said all that, I am hesitant to even post my maiden flight because it was just that...a maiden. I was quite nervous and wasn't sure that I really wanted to do the maiden, because my fingers were cold, very shaky and it was quite windy (maybe 15 m.p.h.). Not ideal conditions for a maiden. So...please don't be unimpressed by my maiden flight (to be posted shortly). I really took it easy and gave myself a couple of flights to get the hang of it. I will post more video in the near future, of flights to come, to show how easily you can get the hang of this plane. It really is easy to fly, build and makes me look like a much better pilot than I really am! LOVE IT!!! :)

asimmetrico likes this.
  6. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I hope the damage wasn't too bad, gubbin. We have all been there before and it is definitely heart breaking to put the time and effort in only to crash it, but...it gets better and better with time and experience. Get her flying again and don't give up. You will love it!

7. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

The big one that I am holding is an Asian Grass Carp. They are huge, but have an important purpose in our lake. They were planted to control the long grass that grows naturally from the bottom of the lake. Before the Fish and Wildlife department planted them, the grass would grow from the bottom of the lake and continue growing on top. The entire lake was covered in grass and made it almost unusable. The Asian Grass Carp feed on the grass and have helped maintain a nice useable lake for years. The rest of the fish are Large mouth bass and catfish.

Video is still uploading, but should be done soon. I will get my Alpha Jet Maiden posted shortly!

8. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

Can't wait to see your video.
    Can you show how did yu build the rudder or point me to a detailed picture/mod design?

I remember I've seen it when reading all the thread but now I'm not able to find it again.

Al

9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

FatherAndSons likes this.
  10. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

Youtube tells me that the video is not available. I don't know if it's temporary or due to country right restriction if there is any music.

Al

11. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Here is the promised maiden flight video:

More video to come as this plane has become a quick favorite and is allowing me to test my piloting skills.

Newt, Airflow and e3_Scott like this.
  12. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Here are a couple of pictures of my rudder: It makes control in high alpha very nice, very stable. 2013-02-16 23.07.55.jpg 2013-02-15 22.19.04.jpg

gubbin, Airflow and asimmetrico like this.
  13. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

Strange, it has no music and for me it just works, anybody else with problemo watching this video?

14. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

It looks a bit longer than the design?
    Al

15. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

Still say that the video is not available at this moment. I'll try again tonight and let you know.

Al

16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

No, no problem with your video, saw it a few minutes after you posted it, great!:)

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I did a rudder mod video a on the original alpha jet, but after testing this I cut the length of the rudder down half way. The long rudder twists the plane and then you have to counter it with elevons thereby defeating the purpose of it. So, I limit the rudder length to between the top And bottom wings. Gives a very linear yaw control.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

FatherAndSons likes this.
  19. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

It's so clean. What kind of paint is that?

20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Very nice! Nothing attracts a crowd like an airshow!

Cheers,

Scott