FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Apr 24, 2012.

1. skelator

skelator Cadet

mission failed, down with a fever and flu lol better luck next time

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

2. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

Another fantastic design.
    I'm in trouble. I don't know what to build next.

I was just wondering if an Emax 2812 1680Kv with a 6x5,5 propo and a 1000mAh 3s could work in this airframe.

It should be a little lighter and less noisy.

What are your taughts?

Thanks

Al

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That may be a little low on thrust, but i think you can modify the prop slot to fit a 7 in prop? The plane weighs around 17 - 20 oz so need a minimum of 23 oz thrust for the alpha jet to do its magic. You will love it!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

4. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

You mean that I could use a 7x5 on that motor and the prop slot can be enlarget to accomodate it?
    7X5 is the prop I usually put on the 2812. I really like that motor, dependable and efficient.

In this case there'll be enough airflow between the wings to do its magic on the elevons?

I suppose the once glued there is no possibility to change motor or prop, isn't it?

By the way, I've seen the videos. It's really magic, like other your designs. The other I like so much is the Su37. Another baby that I would love to build.

Al

5. it can be modded after its built. Just cut the sides of the slot to make sure the prop doesn't chit the foam. As for changing the motor you need really little hands, I use my wife's hands, or a really long screwdriver

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ace hardware has a pack of really long screwdrivers in their bargain bin that someone here mentioned . There is one that is about 10 inches long that works well!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

ASD likes this.
  7. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Great day!!! After the coldest winter in 66 years, the snow has finally cleared and it warmed up to 50 deg F today!!! The wind was a bit more than I would have like, but with the snow gone and 50 deg F weather (plus the day off work :)), I had to maiden the Alpha Jet.

Video of the Alpha Jet Maiden will be uploaded tomorrow.

Off topic: the bitter cold temperatures resulted in a massive fish kill in the lake behind our house. Thousands of fish have died. We don't know if any of them will have survived. We see some swimming still, but they are clearly not healthy. Here is a picture of the biggest fish I have pulled out of our lake (with my calibrated arms, I weighed it at approximately 70 lbs). Look at the size of its body compared to my legs. The thing is huge. My wife noticed that its head is as big as my head.

2013-03-25 11.58.04.jpg

Here are some of the 350+ fish that we have pulled out of the lake just from my back yard:

IMAG0131.jpg

Back on topic:

I just about wrecked the Alpha Jet on the launch because it was more nose heavy than I expected. After a very short maiden flight and a little trim I landed. Increased my throws and moved the battery a little, I had a second flight and had a blast. I didn't throw it around too hard as I was getting a feel for it and it was just too windy, but...I can definitely tell that this plane is going to be a LOT of fun. Next flights planned for tomorrow. I can hardly wait.

Thanks to Jay and Greg both for a fantastic design. The plane was easy to build, floats like a feather and is easy to fly. It handles the wind very well (much, much better than I think I expected). Great high alpha, although I need to practice and learn. I am also excited about the aerobatic capabilities of the plane (also need to practice and learn), but from what I can tell the Alpha Jet will make it easy.

In-spite of the wind and the fact that my fingers were shaking in the cold, I loved this relatively laid back maiden flight (or voyage as my wife calls it in the video ;) ).

Thanks again Jay and Greg. You guys have a winner in this plane.

Video tomorrow.

Bryce

8. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

Guess what youre having for dinner tonight?!

FatherAndSons likes this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's amazing about the fish! I thought they hibernate in cold water?
    Glad you like the alpha jet, father&sons! If you pull back cg It flies nice and easy and is very aerobatic. For great high alpha I do go forward so it is nose heavy. Once you get the hang of it push cg forward again and you'll see rock solid high alpha! Can't wait for video!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

glad you enjoyed it f&s! that is to bad about the fish though!! looking out for the video!

11. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

very cool....think friday (i get out of work early) i'm gonna bring my newly de-modded alpha with me and few other planes out for some flying..and see how they do....

Boxermad84 likes this.
  12. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Yeah this was an oddity about the fish kill. From what I have read, it is a result of having the lake frozen over for so long. It freezes every year, but never for so long. Having ice and snow covering the lake, prevented the sun's rays from reaching the plant life at the bottom of the lake, which is critical in the photosynthesis process. Without photosynthesis, the amount of oxygen being put into the water by underwater vegetation, was much less than that being used by the fish. As a result, the fish died from a depletion of oxygen. Sad...

This is the first year in the history of this lake, that there has ever been such a fish kill

Alpha Jet video will be ready today, but before I finish it, the weather is nice and I'm taking to the skies!

Thanks again.

Bryce

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

Well, It happened again. Maiden didn't go so well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't help but wonder if I'm doing something wrong. It was a little windy but nothing crazy..maybe 5mph. Double checked all my controls surfaces and everything. Maybe it's salvageable for another round of abuse.

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

15. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

It honestly felt pretty manageable. I tried matching the CG to the plans for normal flight. Using a 16003s I had to shove it all the way in the nose. I've got some video my fiance took, kind of embarrassing but maybe some folks can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

17. gubbin

gubbin Rookie

Here it is in all it's..."glory" At first I had the throws tuned down to about 60% with @25% expo. It felt a little weak in the turns so when I actually crashed it I had them on 100%. The wind sounds a lot worse then it was..at least in my mind.

18. looks like its flying ok just pilot error. or am I missing something?

19. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

Yes i think it looks like my first real crash.
    It looks like you are flying downwind with low speed. Then you bank left, all lift is gone at this moment, nose dives down, end of flight.

When turning downwind either makes sure you have more speed so the whole body generates more lift.
    Or make the turn longer.

Otherwise you were doing good!!! And it looks great!

On my A J I have aelerons on 50% throws and 70 %expo. Elevator is 100% throw and 100% expo.

As a beginner I like the 70-100% expo cos it makes banking smooth and not to fast.

Keep the movies coming!!

20. asimmetrico

asimmetrico Cadet

I haven't flown this model but it looks to me nose heavy. I've had similar behaviour with a slope glider before I moved back the COG.
    It had a bad tendency to wing stall during turns.

Al