FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Looked great and I particularly enjoyed seeing the process you went through to get it dialed it. Thanks for sharing!

OGHarpax, Greg, Jay, Anybody,

Any idea why OGHarpax had to move the C.G. back so far from plans to get it to fly right? I've learned from experience that Greg's C.G. recommendations have been spot on, so this OGHarpax's struggles with the C.G. surprised me a little. I'm starting on mine now and wondering if anything has changed or needs to be changed as far as C.G. goes while I build. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks for the videos OGHarpax.

I enjoyed watching them!

OGHarpax likes this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Bryce, maidened his plane with a flight stabilizer. Once he removed the stabilizer it flew as per plan. When I saw this video I knew it had to be the stabilizer because mine was spot on on the prototype and the final version.

3. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Yeah, I just watched his awesome videos and the comparisons of before and after the stabilizer (after you made that suggestion :) - You know your stuff F1 :cool:). Alright, I've read the thread, made some decisions and am ready to go get my plans. Construction - or at least foam cutting begins tonight.​

My wife doesn't get home for a few hours so, I've got to hurry before she knows I'm not working on the "Honey Do List" that she left for me. I figure when she gets home, I'll just pull up a couple of these awesome A-10 videos and show her how awesome it is that she'll just have to understand why I've been working on the A-10 instead of my "chores" :cool:. Yeah, I know that's not going to work, but it is easier to get forgiveness than permission :D. I'm off to Kinkos!​

OGHarpax, lawrenceb and ASD like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Bryce, tell her how all us guys only watch your videos because of her camerawork! And the A10 would look so darn good against those mountains!

OGHarpax, Airflow, Newt and 2 others like this.
  5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Nacelle wraps wrapped and glued :)

Unfortunately, That is all that i have done. In fact, i haven't even had time to cut out the other pieces yet. :( I have traced them onto my foam though :cool:

Attached Files:

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice nacelles! Its worth taking your time with this one, Bryce! It looks so Darn good! I would suggest leaving the bottom of the plane unpainted? You may not have this problem, but I got disoriented flying the A10 at the fly in. I did have dark trees in the background, though- got kind of blended in!

7. Newt

Newt Administrator

Sanding done and starting to paint. Hope to have her done in time for the NEAT Fair on Saturday.

a-10_2.jpg

a-10_1.jpg

a-10_3.jpg

FatherAndSons likes this.
  8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Newt likes this.
  9. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Newt, that thing looks awesome! So smooth! How did u finish it? Elmer's glue?

10. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thanks.
    No Elmers just depron and ultra light weight spackling compound. I do final sanding with 320 grit sand paper which helps smooth things out.
    I tried to make the engine nacelles out of de-papered DTF but had little success. Ended up using some black/dark grey 4mm depron that I had laying around. It is softer than white depron and bends easier and is lighter weight.
    Can't wait to get this baby in the air - it has been 3 months in the making.
    Newt

11. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Your hard work paid off Newt. It really looks nice. Do u have any idea how much weight the light weight spackle added? I've always wanted to try It but have been afraid jt would add a lot of weight.

Newt likes this.
  12. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

I hear it's pretty lightweight. :D

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Newt likes this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Bryce -

Just wanted to throw my $.02 worth in on filling grooves on planes. I have been using a new technique with scrap dollar store foam and Foam Tac. The dollar store foam works really well since it a bit pliable and I find it sands much nicer than depron. I attached a bunch of pictures from when I first tried this technique on an FRC Foamies F35 600. The pictures are not exactly in order, but hopefully you get the gist of it.

I cut pieces of foam roughly so they will fit into the groove, dry fit them first, sometimes you can pinch and work the foam a bit to help it fit better. Then I run a very thin bead of Foam Tac along both sides of the groove and then work the foam into it, pressing it down firmly (without damaging the plane obviously) until it is in there, sometimes I will tape it down especially around curves.

I like to let the glue really set up, so normally I leave it overnight. Then I trim and sand as need be to get a very smooth finish. If you have worked with the $$$ store foam before you probably know it can tear easily with sanding, so I start with about 150 grit and a very light touch until it gets to the shape I want.

I recently found these flexible sanding pads at Walmart that work awesome to go around the curves on canopies/fuselages, etc.

I cannot claim this idea, I remember reading it awhile ago from a post that LukeWarm made, so the idea is all his.

The $$$ store foam added maybe 2 grams to this plane after it was all sanded down, makes for a very clean finish and is more durable than the lightweight spackle I use to use as it is more flexible and doesn't shatter like the spackle does if you happen to "gonk" your plane.

Hope this helps.:)

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

Grabber5.0 and FatherAndSons like this.
  14. Newt

Newt Administrator

I can't believe that it adds much weight if used sparingly.
    Thought about weighing her throughout the build but forgot. The paint adds a good amount of weight . I am going to be a little heavier than some due to extra servo and controls for flaps - but there is so much wing area that I think she can handle it.

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Just a reminder, the A10 will need nose weight to counter the motor. So, if you don't plan on adding a cannon, fill the joints with caulking! It'll need about 1.5 oz on the nose regardless! Weight is not critical. I found sanding and taping with 3m extreme was a nice smooth finish that was quick durable.
    [​IMG]

16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Scott & Newt, thanks for the ideas! Both of these ideas seem to produce awesome results. Thank u for sharing them. I will undoubtedly try them both at different points in time.

The spackle looks like it may be a little easier while i would think that the foam strips with foam-tac would probably make for an even stronger plane. Hmmm......decisions :rolleyes:

17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Interesting idea Greg! Caulking is heavy quick and adheres well to foam I used some on my Polaris :) I like it!

18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Bryce -

Having used both, yes the foam method does take longer and is a bit more fussy, but if weight savings is important, (I have been learning a lot about weight lately from my F18 experience...:(), the foam method does save weight over spackle, so like you said, decisions.

I actually on my "skinny" F18 did neither, I just used my knife to shave the corners off as neatly as I could and then sanded everything nice and round. It is not quite as "pristine" a look as the filling method, but again saves a few grams and a lot of time since I skip a step entirely and the only thing I need to ensure is good and dry is the Foam Tac I put in the grooves to dry before I start to sand.

Many ways to make your plane look cool and hopefully reduce some aerodynamic drag in the process.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,

Scott

19. criznach

criznach Airman

Just got back from having the plans printed at Staples. Now I'm debating going 80%. It'll be my largest plane! Has anyone tried a smaller version? We're moving across town in the next couple of weeks so this one might take a while.

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

If you shrunk the plans then cg will be much more sensitive. You would have to be spot on. I would not go more than a mjv3 size motor because you will not have enough room in the nose to fit a larger battery than a 1600, I'm guessing, to counter that motor weight.

OGHarpax likes this.