FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

2. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Exact same electronics, minus the stabilizer. Just much lighter.

F1wanabe likes this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, it was very fast, Brian. That's what a few ounces will do for you!

OGHarpax likes this.
  4. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

I might still tweak a bit, but she's done for now. Hopefully wind forecast holds and I'll get some video of her in the air tomorrow.

IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1607.JPG IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1609.JPG

Flybyknight22, FatherAndSons and Newt like this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, Brian, excellent paint scheme! You really out did yourself on this! I woiuldnt fly that!;)
    Please send us pictures!

7. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

8. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Funny you say that. Girlfriend said to me "Aren't you worried you're going to ruin it by flying it?".

I am, but there is no way that beauty is staying on a wall. If I get just one decent flyby, it'll all be worth it. Everything after that is gravy.

9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

OGHarpax likes this.
  10. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Short clip from yesterday. Only got two flights on video. With so much traffic at the field, I wasted a lot of gopro battery on other stuff. Even with the glo's, the quads, the heli's and all the rest, this baby turned the most heads and prompted the most questions.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looked so good! This thing flies so realistically! Glad it made such a good impression. Your paint scheme is excellent!

12. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

13. Newt

Newt Administrator

It looks so scale like in the air. Nice flying.
    My FRC A-10 is almost done - can't wait.

14. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Has anyone used the 2200KV 2826-6 motor on the A-10? I am in the process of reading all of the posts in this thread, but figured i'd ask the question while i continue reading.

My main concern is with achieving the appropriate c.g. using a different motor - but this is what i have and if i can make it work, i'd like to. Also unsure about thrust on the 2826-6 2200kv with a 6X4 apc prop. Any opinions?

Just sent the file to Kinkos to be printed and plan to start tonight :D

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Bryce, I did all the protoytype testing with the MJv3 and it was under powered for loops and was not good for vertical, but it flew nicely. I put the zoom on there for vertical performance. So, your 2826 should do well. You will probably get away with an 1800 3s in the nose, but still will most likely need the rotary canon for ballast. If you use a 2200 3s, you may be able to do without the canon. Either way, those big wings have plenty of lift! If you see the plane porpoising up and down you know you need more weight on the nose! Exciting! Hope you like it! Will you use depron? Depron works best for torsional rigidity.

16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I expected u would ask me if i would be using depron - since u know that i always build out of bluecore....and it sounds like this needs the rigidity. My plan was bluecore with significant carbon fiber reinforcement plus fiberglass mesh and foamtac reinforcements. What do u think? I've got a wide variety of carbon fiber, plenty of foam-tac and lots of fiberglass mesh.

I'm afraid my wife might say that the $150 case of depron is above the $2 monthly plane budget that she has so graciously allowed me;)

Will it work or be a mistake?

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, $2 per month? I think you blew your budget on foam tac! I built all the prototypes out of blue core. I was not happy with the stability of the A10, and it wasn't until I built out of depron that it became rock solid! So, you need a 4mm min cf tube in the wings. Those cannot flex. Then for the fuselage, if you can do a couple fiberglass/foam tac reinforcements along the length of the fuselage you should be ok. It was the torsional rigidity that depron offered that made it stable. Also, please be sure the nacelles are solid. Any play in those will make the plane wiggle! finally, vertical stabilizers could use some fiberglass/ foam tac treatment on the blue core.

FatherAndSons likes this.
  18. I would recommend something like a carbon arrow shaft wing spar at least. That and ur mesh tape trick should do it. Make sure u mesh tape the entire tail. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

F1wanabe and FatherAndSons like this.
  19. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

This is going to be fun. I'll build it tough. Perhaps more like a tank than a tank killer :rolleyes:

20. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Clarification:
    By like a tank i mean tough like a tank, not heavy like a tank :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

F1wanabe and ASD like this.