FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

It is truly tough!

2. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Left the paper on. Always.

3. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Pics before paint. I'm still not sure if I'm going to spray or brush acrylic. Going to do a few test pieces of foam and see what works best. I'm really pleased with the flight weight, considering all the polyfill I added :)

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks darn good! That is the weight of mine painted, so that weight isn't going to be bad at all. The lift on that big wing is plenty. The water in the acrylic paint has warped the paper on one of my dt planes. I did the witch plane with it and the glue released. Has that happened to you?

5. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

The propellant in the spray eats the foam big time. The acrylic goes on really well, but I used a scrap piece to test with no glue. I'll have to try it on a glued piece and see what it does. Thanks for the heads up ;)

6. okie86

okie86 Airman

I use minwax polyuerthane (oil base ) on all my dtf planes before I paint them the spray paint propellant is't a problem and the paint goes on really nice as for the acrylic paint I haven't use it . But I think it would go on thick and add some extra weight ?

7. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

yeah, I remember seeing a post you made about that stuff few weeks ago. I took a snapshot to get some, but this A-10 I'm doing now is made with depron. I'll be getting some miniwax for my DTF v3's :)

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The min wax water based polycrylic s good for foam. When using on paper, thin coats works. The spray is my favorite.

9. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Just a few more details and she's ready to maiden. The paint added 0.9oz, so flight weight will be just over 26oz. Hopefully next weekend I'll have some video of her in the air. God I love this plane.

IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG

FatherAndSons, Airflow and ASD like this.
  10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, looks spectacular! Looks like you put a lot of time into it! May I recommend a white bottom? Don't ask why....

FatherAndSons and ASD like this.
  12. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Ok, I wont ask. On a completely different topic... why? ;)

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Have you seen the blooper reel from the fly in? 2 min mark :-\

I lost orientation several times, but I am old....

phoenix_md likes this.
  14. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Kinda figured, but you said don't ask, so I had too :)
    btw, the OG in my handle stands for Old Guy. I've lost orientation many, many times. I'll lighten up the bottom a bit ;)

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Kudos! I didn't think I was old, Btw, until flying with these guys. Jay is less than 30!

16. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Maiden flights done. Hands down, best looking plane I've flown. What a dream to fly. I'll get the video edited and posted tonight or tomorrow.

I know I've said it before, but I feel it's deserved.. Greg and Jay, you've outdone yourselves with this plane. Its subjective I know, but for me personally, you've given me my RC unicorn. That mythical foamie that could never be.

Thank-you.

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks ogharpax! This is one plane that required a good amount of work to get
    Down, so to hear you say that is extra sweet! Thanks for building and I can't wait for the video! Unicorn, eh? And it's free! Wow!

19. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looked really fast and smooth, Brian! That glide test shows how great a flier it is. Once you trim it it is hands off! Did you use a different motor, or is it less weight? Paint looks good!