FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

That engine produces about 25 oz on 3s and 40 oz on a 4s, So yes, in all cases with 4s -Max amp 28A Not bad!

sgf323 likes this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Cg is very important on this, so definitely please start at the marked cg!

3. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

I got 4 flights in today with it! Overall, it flew great! I really enjoyed flying it!

The rudder worked great. I'm glad I added that. It took a bit more work than the stock config but it really works nice to turn the plane and the roll coupling is very minimal. The rudder torquing the motor mount I mentioned in the setup video was mostly mitigated by the fuselage and the slight bit that is there now didn't affect anything in flight.

The aileron authority is great. I flew at 60% and 80% throws with minimal expo. Rolls at 60% looked nice and scale. 80% was a bit faster. Neither seemed to have any issues with nosing down too much in the middle. Rolls didn't require any elevator input in the middle.

Hand launching from underneath the wings worked great. I found that launching at 60% aileron throw was important because when I launched higher it got a bit squirrely as I got it up in the air! I launched at around 60% throttle then throttled up quickly. It definitely has no problem launching with plenty of power.

Elevator authority was a bit weak. I started with the CG at about 3/4" from the front of the wing and moved back slowly to 1". Even at 1" it didn't change the flight characteristics much. And, I actually needed quite a bit of up trim! I'd estimate I needed around 8mm of up trim! I'm assuming that as I slowly move the CG further back that will be eliminated. Did anyone else have that much up trim? I remember reading someone ended up with a CG about 1.5" back. I plan on dremeling off some of my nose balast to get the CG to about 1" back with the battery way up front so that I'll have room to work. I'll slowly move things back and see how things go.

It does low passes really well under power. Landings required power up until the end and the elevator authority on landing cuts down drastically as the plane slows down so it needs to have a little bit of speed. But, it's tough so belly landings under speed are no problem at all. And, it drops out of the sky for a nice scale landing which is really nice.

My wings are doubled up MPF with a CF rod but I still noticed quite a bit of flex. I should have used a flat spar in the wings instead or doubled up on the CF. Despite this, it still flew fine and didn't seem to create any negative characteristics from the flex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Great Report! As far as I know you are the first to add rudders. Can you describe the feel of them? I've always needed up trim on the elevator and that seems to be normal. When you move cg back to the point where you don't need up trim then you start getting tail heavy behavior like porpoising up and down. Since there is no tv on the A10, you are at the mercy of airflow over the elevator to keep nose up on landing, but I have been able to get some nice cream puff landings after a couple flights.
    Great to hear about your success!

5. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

They feel great! The roll coupling is very minimal and they really turn the plane very well. Most of the time I prefer yank and bank and only use rudder when I want to do flat turns but on this the rudder turns with opposite aileron work much better than yank and bank.

I've got a few videos to go through but with it being a maiden I kept it up pretty high. Next time I fly I'll get closer video. But, when I have a chance to go through it I'll cherry pick it and see if I have any good video of the rudder in use.

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Great! Thanks for the excellent feedback! Maybe I'll try the rudders on the MK2. Did you see the FRCFoamies A10 Warthog MK2 thread we just created?

7. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

I just saw it on Facebook, but I'll look for it here too. Too bad I just finished this one! But, I learned some things in the build so if I make the Mk2 I'll make sure to strengthen the wings a bit more.

And, I'd definitely try rudders on your Mk2!

8. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

I'm thinking between now and the next time I fly I may open up the top of the fuse a bit to install a flat carbon spar across the top of the wing to reduce flexing. I'd have to cut a section of the top-fuse out then glue it back in afterwards. But, I don't think it would be too bad. I'd install it between the existing carbon tube and the servos. Maybe epoxy a bit of carbon inside the fuse where I cut just to make sure it maintains rigidity.

Otherwise, there is some room between the rear of the elevator and the prop. I may also see about extending the elevators a bit and paint the extension black just to make it harder to see.

Attached Files:

9. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

I added about 1.5" onto the end of the elevators. We'll see what effect this has next time I can fly it. For now I'm going to not add an additional spar until I fly it more. If the wing flex doesn't cause any issues then I'll leave it as is.

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT

My A10 is FAT!!! LOL, it can't even pull a loop! So fun to fly though and I think the weight makes it super scale feeling. Today when I was flying it I tried launching it at too steep an angle and it said, "Screw that!" and landed instead!

On the next launch I kept the angle lower and flew out slowly! And, inverted flight is great! Loops are overrated. If I want to loop I've got plenty that will loop their pants off. ;)

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Remember that the A10 has no thrust vectoring! Even at optimal weight the loops are long, just like the real plane. If the plane is on the heavy side, loops will be difficult. What is your weight and what motor? The main point with the A10 is scale looks and scale flying, so medium speed straffing runs are what it's good at. And yes, inverted flying is great!

12. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

I'm at 28.7 oz with a 2200 3s. Not a big deal about the loops. It's a ton of fun to fly and I really like having a plane that flies so different from anything else I have.

13. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

Oh and I'm using a turnigy 2826/6 with an apc 6x4 and a plush 40 on low timing.

I wonder if a 6x3 emp would give more thrust but less speed?

I'll have to research that unless someone knows.

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

So you're at about 1:1 thrust to weight, so that's not bad performance. You could use a focal price which weighs about the same but gives you 34 oz thrust on 6x3. That's a fast motor too. It only costs $9 too. But for scale flying I think you are good with the 2826. I wonder if you can get by with a 1800 3s too? That'll save you a couple oz.

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

or if you have a 4s battery? try it, then you get 40 oz of thrust with a TGS/EMP 6x3 Max.Amp, only 28A

16. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

I don't have either! I'll have to order some things to try at some point.

Which FP motor?

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The fp 2700 is out of stock but e3_Scott posted a test with this one....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321227178111
    Or try a 4s like airflow, but a 4s will bring your wing loading up even higher. On the straight wing that's not good. You would need a 1500 4s or so.

Airflow likes this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes a 2000-2200mAh 4s is quite heavy.

19. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

I ordered that motor off ebay. We'll see how it works. Otherwise, I'm looking at a spreadsheet another member put up and the Turnigy 2826/6 with an EMP 6x3 will give me several more ounces of thrust. I may pick up one of those and see how that works. According to his work, I'll get 4oz more thrust which would put me over a 1:1 ratio. According to that spreadsheet, right now I'm just under 1:1.

Another option is an SMJ if it would balance. It's about .9oz over my current motor but with an EMP 6x3 would give me 36oz of thrust which may be worth the extra weight (if it balances). I have one of those on my bench I could try out.

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I would try to get more thrust without more weight first otherwise your wing loading will get kind of high. That's no fun o_O