FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I don't remember that on the plans - to be honest I was a bit impatient when building and I thnk I may have made a few errors along the way.

Please don't think I was criticising your design, it's definitely down to "first-build-itis".

I'm going to build another once I've finished all my other projects and see how some experience improves things.

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

CeeKay, not at all! Your feedback brought up a few excellent points that I wanted to address. I love this kind of conversation because often times you learn a lot through the experience of others! Thank you for your feedback! What would you do different on your second A10?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

RobDavis likes this.
  3. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I'd take more time over it and make sure that it looked a little better than my first one.
    The fuselage is a little bulbous and the canopy looks a bit too big (different printer used for a reprint of those pages).

I wouldn't change the setup as it has just the right amount of power and control.
    I'm running a Turnigy 2826-6 2200kv with a 40A ESC and a 6x4 APC prop.[/ATTACH] 2014-07-30 16.38.01.jpg 2014-07-30 16.37.31.jpg

Flybyknight22, Newt, RobDavis and 3 others like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That does look beautiful CeeKay! I know what you mean about the bulbous look to the nose area. When doing score and fold, you are always gaining 12mm of thickness-6mm depron on both sides. The interior dimensions must be maintained for batteries and components and then the thickness of the foam is on top of that. The only solution would be to size up the plans so that the depron thickness is less if a factor, or what I do sand the heck out of it! You can sand it pretty thin then reinforce it with either fiberglass tape and foam tac, or a light fiberglass cloth and minwax Polycrylic. These will allow you to regain some durability and slim down the fuselage quite a bit. The canopy can be Sanded quite a bit too. Once you get a good set up on the first one, then the second one can be a little less sturdy anyway because you should theoretically crash less ;-)

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

RobDavis and Airflow like this.
  5. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Thank you!

My biggest gripe with my building was the gaps that the folds left. If I could minimise those, I'd be so much happier.
    How do you get them so neat?

Also when I built this, I was using whatever I had lying around so there are huge servo extension leads just curled up inside which adds weight and really annoys me (I can't stand untidy wiring installations! The pitfall of being an aircraft engineer). Since then I've bought the kit to make up my own custom servo extensions and now all my builds are so much neater. Building the A-10 was a great experience and it taught me a lot very quickly. I would love to revisit it and improve on my original effort

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    RobDavis likes this.
  6. mhall2003207

mhall2003207 Cadet

Is there a KF step in this wing or is it just doubled over the entire chord?

7. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

It's a double-thickness wing with a CF spar

8. mhall2003207

mhall2003207 Cadet

So, no airfoil at all? Just flies on AOA?

BTW CeeKay, that is a very nice model and color scheme.

F1wanabe and CeeKay like this.
  9. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

No airfoil. A 12mm Depron plank which is VERY robust.
    AoA and bootful of throttle usually does the job :)

Thanks for the comments. I wanted to go a bit hi-viz with the colours as I already have a few grey and a few camo planes and they can get very difficult to see in our skies at times.

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, airfoil is not necessary. This plane glides as it is, so I can imagine how much glide you would get with an airfoil. Glide is not desirable for scale looking flight, Btw. I beveled and Sanded the leading edge of the wing so there is an airfoil effect to some extent. The double thick wing is tough, and durability was important to Jay and I - just like the original!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

11. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

phoenix_md and i have a lot in common! I just started on this too, plans printed, parts cut, scored and taped all ready to go. I too re-read the entire thread looking for hints and tips as well. I'm building from depron aero - so will be making sure that the wings are rock solid - so might end up with a few CF rods in there to stiffen it up. gonna go with a 3s 2200 battery - just need to pick up some ballast in the form of a minigun to complete the tank buster look! i'm using lightweight servos - so hoping that i dont need to add too much weight to bring the cg on spot.

phoenix_md - good luck with the build. hope it works out well for you.

RobDavis and F1wanabe like this.
  12. phoenix_md

phoenix_md Airman

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like I will need to be careful about the thrust line making sure that the motor is at a slight angle. Also on maiden I'll watch out for a stall and maybe launch at a higher throttle setting than usual.

For the record I'll be using the following hardware

Build Material: 6mm Depron
    Motor: Turnigy 2826-6 2200KV
    Prop: 6x4 APC
    ESC: Turnigy Trust 45A
    Servos: 3x Turnigy 13g MG
    Carbon Fiber: 3mm tube
    Glue: Hot Glue

Two areas of concern for me are 1. I only have 3mm carbon tubes so I may need to double up in the wing if they are not stiff enough. 2. Being in Australia I can't get a hold of Foam-Tac so I'll be using Hot Glue, which means I'll have to go slow and be sparing with the glue and build as light as possible.

This is my second FRC Foamies build, I have completed the SU-37 Mk2 recently and I really enjoyed that so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one comes together.

s7oneyuk, likewise, best of luck with your build. You're a bit further a long than me so I hope to see some more of your posts an learn from your experiences.

CeeKay and F1wanabe like this.
  13. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

As long you don't treat it like yours....your garage door has claimed too many victims this year!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobDavis likes this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Phoenix, if you cut the motor mount area carefully then the angle is already there. That's one place I would use a straight edge. The 3mm will not be enough for sure. Our Walmart stores have carbon fiber arrow shafts - 30 inches or so. Can you get those for the wings? I think even two 3 mm rods may flex too much. The power system is good! Total weight is not that important with this, I'm just saying that the lighter it is, the more aerobatic it will fly. If you want scale looking flying then a weight around 25/26 oz is ok with a 2200. This is really a fun build and if you are confident with your flying then feel free to sand and sculpt the nose! We went a little conservative with the cg and a few flier have pulled it back to an inch and a half Beck from the leading edge of the wing.
    I'm glad you liked the frcfoamies planes- We love repeat customers! Thanks Phoenix MD!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    RobDavis and phoenix_md like this.
  15. phoenix_md

phoenix_md Airman

Thanks F1,

Carbon fibre tube is another one of those things that is not so easy to get here in Australia but I have managed to order some 4mm carbon tube online. I'll get started this weekend.

Cheers.

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

It Looks like it will be a build-race! I have ordered some 4mm carbon rods after reading the note from Greg - so i am now going to have to wait for these to arrive before i can continue with the build. I have the nacelles shaped, main wing joined and the fuse supports installed - so the bracing the wing would be next. Going to have to pause for a few days until the new rods arrive. I managed to pick up 5 x 4mm rods for about £13 + shipping - so will be waiting for the postman to call now!.

Might paint up the inside of the nacelles before gluing them in shape.

F1wanabe likes this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

RobDavis likes this.
  18. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I buy my CF rods from Decathlon sports. They sell them as parts for their range of kites and they come in 1.8m lengths from 2.5mm to 8mm diameter. Cost is from £4 (GBP) each.

Just looked on the website and the have stores in Australia (www.decathlon.au)

F1wanabe and s7oneyuk like this.
  19. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Same setup I used on mine.

Looking forward to seeing the finished results

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

Cool! thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look in decathlon to see what they have.

F1wanabe, RobDavis and CeeKay like this.