FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Good point Chip! And the build is a little more advanced also...

2. richb2599

richb2599 Rookie

F1 - I'm getting ready to build the A-10. The plans call for "Elevator deflection: 2 inch". Is this the total deflection from maximum up to maximum down, or is it 2 inches in each direction? The reason I ask is because I recently completed my Mosquito and the throws seemed to be much more than needed. Unfortunately, my 4th flight with the Mossy ended badly when I took signal hit and lost control. She was a total loss! I'm still not over it. BTW, I've been adding zip tie gear to almost everything I build. The guys at the park are amazed how well they work. I glue small squares of plywood to the plane and screw the ties to the wood. Makes it easy to replace the ties in the field when they break.

Attached Files:

FatherAndSons and Newt like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Rich, the best option is to maximize the throws mechanically (2 inches each way) and then reduce them to your liking on the radio. FED50H started off with limited throws and found the plane come alive once he maximized them.
    Too bad about the Mossie! That is such a nice flier, if I don't say so myself. Will you rebuild?
    Those zip ties are golden, especially on the mossie, but the A10 would be good too. Good idea with the wooden mount!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

4. richb2599

richb2599 Rookie

F1, I definitely plan to rebuild. I'm sure the build will go much faster this time since I won't need to follow the videos again. I did find the 2S 2200 lipo to need a little more punch. I found myself flying with full throttle most of the time. This was my setup:

NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1350KV's
    Turnigy Plush 25A ESC's
    2S 2200 Lipo (also tried 3S Lipo)
    GWS 3 blade 8x4 counter rotating props

The motors were trashed in the crash. I have some of these: Turnigy L2210A - 1650KV (180 W) 49g
    Wonder if they would work for the Mossy? I'll do a bench test.

5. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

The plane flies very well, as long as the CG is correct and the surfaces move correctly. If those are good, it could be a trainer. I'm not wanting to dissuade anyone from it when looking at it as a trainer. The build is a little more complicated, especially if you want everything neat and inside. I know that if I built this without having some experience building and flying, I probably would have crashed it on the first flight. I did not have enough deflection in the eleveator. I would have been very disappointed after putting the effort into building it, and then enjoying how awesome it looked, only to perform a gravity test. I think everyone should have an A-10. Just not as a first plane. The guys did a great job in getting this model dialed in. I wanted an A-10, just didn't want to buy a store bought model for big bux.

FatherAndSons, F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  6. A-10

Attached Files:

Jaxxxx, FED50H, F1wanabe and 2 others like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Very nice, Omar! Is that monokoted? And the wing is airfoil?

8. Newt

Newt Administrator

camo A10.jpg I think I just found the camo configuration I have been looking for!

Flybyknight22, FED50H and F1wanabe like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

10. Newt

Newt Administrator

I think that with my base coat already being Air Force gray, it should be easy to add in the new layers.
    neat fair Gregandme.jpg
    e9asujam.jpg

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

FatherAndSons and Airflow like this.
  12. Newt

Newt Administrator

The two coolest guys at NEAT fair.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha, Yeah who is that man, probably a greenhorn. ;-)

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  14. Testors Red and Black Tape cover. The wing is from the E-flite apprentice I remodel it to fit the dimensions of the A-10 Warthog.

15. phoenix_md

phoenix_md Airman

Hey Guys,

Just about to start work on my A-10. Plans Printed. Donation made.

I have read all the forum posts and learned that I need to be very careful about CG and All Up Weight.

Any other expert tips?

Thanks Guys.

RobDavis likes this.
  16. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

It is a pusher plane, so always be wary of stall speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newt and phoenix_md like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I agree with that, Chip. Also, weight is not as sensitive an issue with this plane as others, but the lighter it is the more aerobatic it is. Definitely make sure your cf spar on the wing is stiff. No flex! We do a double thick wing so that up to a 5mm cf tube is fine. If you need nose weight for balance, the rotary Cannon can be used for that. Also, you should make sure that the nacelles are mounted straight so that they do not effect pitch.
    Thank you for donating Phoenix!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

phoenix_md likes this.
  18. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

Watch the elevator throws - it can be "lively" if you have them on the higher end.

The CG is critical - with a 3s 2200 battery up front I had my CG to far forward and as a result needed quite a lot of "up" elevator to trim it out initially (I actually ended up at max trim) and even now, after adjustment it still needs a little bit to maintain level flight. I I moved the battery rearwards a little as well as adding some upthrust to my motor to counteract this and I've got it trimmed out quite well.

As mentioned previously, watch the stall with it being a pusher. On the video at 1:39 you'll see it start to stall in the turn. I was cruising at 1/2 throttle but the airspeed just bled off in the turn. A rudder would have helped here but a quick nudge of throttle sorted out before it became an issue. My model has the glide characteristics of a brick! I need to keep the power on until the last moment when landing (that could be down to my build though - this was my first attempt at a scratch-build)

Video of the maiden flight:

phoenix_md and Airflow like this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I don't know if you noticed it on the plan so I'll mention it here, the motor mount has a 2 degree down tilt (which brings the nose up) in order to help keep the plane balanced front to back. If you mount the motor straight this effect is reduced. Father and sons adjusted the nacelles to compensate for the trim and it worked well for him. We have the angle of the nacelles, wing pods, motor angle, rotary canon and cg all balanced out through extensive testing, so it should be good if you follow the plan. I like to have full throws on the elevator song am able to pull out of staffing runs. But some expo on that will smooth it out if necessary!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

phoenix_md and CeeKay like this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I'm taking good care of your A10 Chip! Haha. Last JettaManDan fly in Chip's A10 ended up in my van and is now here in Pennsylvania!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Airflow likes this.