FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

You are right Mark! I love it. Very easy to fly. Slow and very stable, but speeds up nicely. I had a handful of my planes with me at the field Saturday, but every time I was caught flying something else somebody would ask me if I would fly the A-10. It looks good and everyone loved it (including me :))

Grabber5.0 likes this.
  2. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Hey wait a minute - I thought this was an expert's plane, and you're saying it is easy to fly. :D I know it is a more challenging build, but I really want to fly one of these birds! I really need to dedicate more time to flying and forget about all of this work stuff that's bringing me down. :D

Newt, FatherAndSons and F1wanabe like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, Grabber5.0, it's an advanced build, but as easy to fly as a hawk sky! Get to work!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Grabber5.0 likes this.
  4. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Aw, man, you had to go and encourage me didn't you? :D I think actually one of you said early on that it was pretty easy to fly. But then, easy is sometimes relative to skill.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

6. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

I already watched the video, but the irony of this screen shot was too funny to not post.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383001389.521378.jpg

FatherAndSons, Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  7. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

A bunch of people have had my maiden video restricted due to the music I included in the video, so as promised (even though a bit delayed) I redid the video without music.

Here is the maiden flight video WITH MUSIC:

Here is the maiden flight video WITHOUT MUSIC (for portable devices or if video is blocked where you are trying to watch it):

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Good of you to do that bryce, like the extra sound effects!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

phoenix_md and FatherAndSons like this.
  9. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Super Windy Day flight....the nay sayers expected a crash...my mad skillz denied them the pleasure, even as pieces were dropping off

10. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Fixed the elevator and the hatch...got it back up again today....not as good in the video quality as Dan's camera though....

Flybyknight22, Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

12. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

hahahaha....my narration even made me laugh! It was the best flight of the day for sure..most hilarity! lol! Glad with the elevator fixed it flies better..know you were bummed about not being able to do a tighter loop....very cool you got it fixed....looks bada$$ in the air for sure...

13. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

F1wanabe and Jay,
    The boys from Fairchild Replubic would be happy to see their work recreated so faithfully! Very nice job! Definitely on my list to build!

Dave

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thank you, Dave, and Chip did an awesome job dialing it in! Looks so scale the way he was flying that. There is a video of Bryce flying with the mountains in the distance and, although the Utah mountains are nicer, ;-) his A10 looked like it was flying in Afghanistan! I get chills seeing that fly!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

15. Newt

Newt Administrator

That looks so scale like in flight - I thought the GAU-8 cannon would cut loose at any moment.
    Looked like it was flying cover for the bicyclist.

16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Awesome Chip! Love the A10! Such a fun plane to fly.

Thanks Greg! The A10 really does look awesome with the Utah desert mountains in the background!

Great job Chip!

17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Chip, i just watched your video again. I want so badly to get back out into the clear blue skies! I have just started an intense training program at my new job (for which i am very grateful) but as a result i havent had time to build or fly since i finished the FRCFoamies Alpha Jet MK2. Anyway, seeing your A10 videos has me feeling a little jealous :) . I think it will be another month or two before i am really able to spend anytime in the hobby again. It is killing me not to be building and flying.

One of these days, if i could just get home before dark (and once the cold isnt quite so cold) maybe i'll get out and fly my A10,again.

For now, i am grateful for a good job that is requiring my attention from before sun up until long passed sun down. Keep sending the motivational videos. It reminds me that soon, i will be flying again!!!

Grabber5.0, F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  18. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

The weather has kept me grounded for awhile too. I've been building slingshots though:). The A-10 looks great in the air. I was surprised at its low power handling. A few times I just knew it was going to stall out and just spiral out of control. It never did. The guys did a great job in designing it. They built it to last.

F1wanabe and FatherAndSons like this.
  19. ericma1

ericma1 Airman

is this a good trainer ?

20. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Only in the aspect that it is durable....other than that, no. The rear mounted planes must have forward momentum for the control surfaces to work well in guiding the plane. With mid or front mounts the prop wash will allow you to have more control because they still push air over the surfaces, even at slower speeds. For learning purposes, larger wing surface, lighter planes. You get a floaty slower flyer that will give you time to make corrections.