FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thanks Jay!
    It's a Power Up Zoom 450 with a EMP 6x3 prop. Love the "whine" at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle.

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Really nice flight- perfect day! That does look scale, alright.

Newt likes this.
  3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Yes, I got a couple of 450s of bj when I was in the states, they do have a cool sound don't they

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

4. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Mark, Nice flight! Looked great. Can't wait to get mine in the air! I'm going to get back to painting shortly. Say good bye to the blue smurf :D

Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I got another hour or so of painting in tonight. Camouflage with 3 colors is a lot of work. Here is a picture of the up and coming Tank killer :cool: There are still several smurf blue spots to be remedied , but that too will be eliminated soon. :confused::eek:;) uploadfromtaptalk1381639706234.jpg

Flybyknight22, criznach and Newt like this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

7. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

If looks could kill...:-O i might not have survived the morning yesterday when my wife was trying to pull me away from this project. Every time that i told her i needed just a few more minutes, the look on her face slowly became more and more like the one that i have planned for the A-10 :) I pushed as far as i could until her looks were about ready to kill and then i had to put it away for the day :-(

I'm just kidding. My wife is a great sport.

8. Newt

Newt Administrator

I know those looks!
    My wife has no concept of the importance of the intricate timing when gluing Depron! Sometimes there is just no possible way to just "put that stuff away and get in the house!" LOL

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, I was wondering how you got such a great looking shark face!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

Newt likes this.
  10. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Done painting! Here are a few pics. Next up the maiden :cool:

IMG_20131013_183204.jpg IMG_20131013_183225.jpg IMG_20131013_183258.jpg IMG_20131013_183341.jpg IMG_20131013_183421.jpg IMG_20131013_183308.jpg IMG_20131013_183843.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Newt

Newt Administrator

Looks great!

12. criznach

criznach Airman

Finally got a little video today.

The landing is a little rough, but it held up fine. I have full length fiberglass tape between the wing layers. It's taken quite a beating so far! Loving it.

Newt, FatherAndSons and lawrenceb like this.
  13. lawrenceb

lawrenceb Airman

Newt and FatherAndSons like this.
  14. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Criznach, nice flight. It looks so good in the air! Landing wasn't too bad. The A10 can handle a little abuse ;-)

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

lawrenceb and FatherAndSons like this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Criznach, very nice, very smooth and fast! That is a typical landing as one wingtip always gets caught up on grass. I've had a couple where the shark face got caught up on grass! Dan will tell you it's more than a couple! ;-) Great job!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

FatherAndSons likes this.
  17. criznach

criznach Airman

Just found this video and thought I'd share.

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

19. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

WOW. I love this plane. I've been sick for over a week and its been killing me to have finished, but not flown the A-10. I'm finally healthy again, the snow that we had has melted and I finally got to maiden today :cool:.

The maiden was not uneventful. I gave it 2/3 throttle and threw it, as expected it nosed down on launch. I gave it full throttle to build speed and pulled back on the stick, but...just couldn't get it up. It ended in a not so graceful, planned aborted take off :confused: (if that makes any sense).

On the next launch, I gave it full throttle and threw it harder and got it into the sky. About a minute into this re-maiden, my battery puffed and I lost the motor. That's right, I was in a low banking turn and the battery gave up the ghost, leaving my beautiful brand new A-10 without any thrust. So...my first real landing of the A-10 took place at about 150 feet from me, coming deadstick out of a banking turn and....it was a perfect landing:eek:. After checking the battery voltages, one of the cells was at 2 volts, battery was completely puffed. No idea what happened, the other cells were at 4.1 volts.

Now I knew that the reason I hadn't been able to get into the air the first time was due to a bad battery that just wasn't giving me the power that I needed. I should have realized.

Attempt #3 with a fresh battery was awesome. Fantastic flyer and it looks awesome in the air. The reinforcements that I made to the bluecore foam worked flawlessly. I didn't notice any twisting of the fuselage or bending of the wings in flight.

Rolls like a dream, loops are fantastic, slows down very well with flaperons and is a joy to fly. Everyone loved it.

For those of you that have seen my reinforcement video using drywall fiberglass tape and foamtac, It is tough and I proved it again today on my VERY tough Warthog. I was becoming more aggressive with my flight rolling, looping and inverted (which is just awesome) when I forgot how close I was to the ground in a full throttle dive (out of a loop). CAUGHT A WING TIP ON THE GROUND AT FULL THROTTLE AND WATCHED IN HORROR as my beautiful baby cartwheeled across the grass :eek::eek::eek:.

Fortunately, I had reinforced every edge, 100% of the fuselage, 100% of the elevator and 75% of the ailerons with drywall fiberglass mesh and foamtac. The plane still only weighs 25 oz with a 2200 mah 25c battery, even after all that reinforcement and a bunch of carbon fiber too.

The full throttle cartwheel resulted in zero damage to any edge, a crack on both sides of the horizontal stabilizer and a broken motor mount, plus a little bit of character on the nose (almost unnoticeable). I'll spend 30 minutes on repairs tonight and fly it again tomorrow!!! If you haven't tried foamtac and drywall mesh fiberglass tape to reinforce your planes, you should. My plane would have been in pieces after this crash had I not taken the time to do it.

Video is coming! Unfortunately, my wife had the camera on the plane during the loop, but lost it in the dive and didn't get back on it until right before it came to rest on the ground :(. Still awesome.

Tonight my priority is repairs so I can fly it in the morning.

Video will probably be postponed til Sunday as I have to use my time to fly tomorrow :cool::rolleyes::)

Thanks Greg and Jay! Best looking plane I own and it flies so well!

Newt and Grabber5.0 like this.
  20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, bryce! You really put it through its paces on your first day out with her! Glad it held up ok in the crash, I'm going to get me some of that mesh tape. Can't believe you are making us wait until Sunday! :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

FatherAndSons likes this.