FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Criznach, after the battery adjustment how much uptrim do you have? Any uptrim would effect inverted flying, even a roll. If you are planning to do slow flying, 30 % flaps may help, although the more flaps you use the less control you have. Rudders would be a good addition at some point, but not on my priority list. Can you get video?

2. Newt

Newt Administrator

Good observations criznach - I have noticed some of the same characteristics.
    This plane likes to be flown "scale" as opposed to a park jet that you can bank and yank all over the sky.
    At full throttle she will bank and yank but at 1/2 throttle you do need to pay attention.
    Easing in some down elevator half way through the roll will level it out nicely. Watch the full throttle loops though.... I have noticed my wings flexing a little when doing loops or full throttle hard banks.
    Probably not ever going to be an issue but good to pay attention to it. I attribute it to my overweight plane.
    I fly several 60 size nitro war birds and the A-10 reminds me a lot of them . But without the need of a rudder to make smooth turns and less tendency to stall in slow turns or landing.
    With practice I think you will find the A-10 will come in low and settle down nicely on landings.
    I switch to "low rates" for landing on the A-10 and my other war birds - not really a much lower rate of travel - just a little higher expo setting. This lets me ease them down a little more smoothly.
    Really depends on how much wind there is. Not saying this is the best way - just something I have found helps me - especially in the winds that I regularly deal with.
    So far I have not found any bad flight tendencies with the FRC A-10. Smooth take offs at 3/4 throttle, no torque roll and no bad stall characteristics. Just a nice scale flying plane that looks really good in the air.

Newt

F1wanabe and FatherAndSons like this.
  3. Newt

Newt Administrator

F-1 - good point on the flaps.
    30% flaps is fun - 75% flaps @ 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in a turn is not fun :eek:
    Makes her pretty twitchy! But for that matter any plane I have with flaps can get twitchy when the pilot gets stupid! Good news is that pushing her up to full throttle will solve that.

F1wanabe and FatherAndSons like this.
  4. criznach

criznach Airman

I'm still at around 1/4" up, and I wondered if that was my roll problem. I did take some video today, but I couldn't figure out how to get the gopro out of the super wide angle mode, so the plane is a tiny dot in the sky for most of it. I'll try again next time I fly. After another 4 flights today, I'm getting more comfortable with the plane in general. I didn't mess with the battery position any more for now - just enjoyed the flights as-is. It handled wind really well! I do have the flaps programmed, but I haven't had the guts to flip the switch yet.

5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I just finished filling the score and fold gaps with foam and sanding them. I still need to attach vertical stabilizers, reinforce the leading and trailing edges with Foam-tac and fiberglass mesh drywall tape and then it will be time for paint. Getting close!:D uploadfromtaptalk1381521670534.jpg

6. Newt

Newt Administrator

Looking good Bryce! Like an A-10 smurf ;)

Airflow likes this.
  7. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

:oops::(:oops:But I haven't been a fan of the Smurfs for 30+ years ;). What was I thinking? :eek:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Amazing looking plane, Bryce! You took the time time and did it right! I wonder what tune yours will play? The nacelles make a tune on the A10, and since yours to are rounded, I wonder key yours will be in? ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Newt likes this.
  9. criznach

criznach Airman

I flew in the wind yesterday and I think it made the sound louder than normal. I'm really really getting to like this plane. I think most of my issues were just inexperience. It's tons of fun. I even tried out the flaps. Thanks again! And I tried to get video again but this time I forgot the memory card. :/

10. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

F1, I can tell you for sure, that Newt is wrong. Mine is not a smurf and mine will be playing some rough tough, tank-killing melody. It will sound nothing like the Smurf theme song.

Just kidding Newt. U r right. It looks like a smurf, but...I plan to fix that :) :cool:

dtribby and criznach like this.
  11. Newt

Newt Administrator

:rolleyes:

Just wait till she's in the air! You will be amazed. And the guys at my field always comment on how sweet it sounds whistling past them.
    They also love how "scale like" it looks up there.

FatherAndSons likes this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, Ride of the Smurfkyrie!

lawrenceb, Newt and FatherAndSons like this.
  13. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I took the Smurf comment pretty hard ;) and decided to get up early this morning so that i could put a little time converting my Smurfkyrie into something a little less blue and a little more desert like.

My wife pried my fingers away from it about an hour ago and we are traveling to my nieces baptism, so...the rest the day is pretty much shot :-(

Here are pictures of the beginning of my transformation from a smurf to a tank hunter :cool:

View attachment 27118
    View attachment 27119
    View attachment 27120
    uploadfromtaptalk1381593981522.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    Maestro and Newt like this.
  14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow bryce, looking very good, I can only see one pic though

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

15. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks Jay. I will have to fix the others when I get home. We are traveling and my data connection is not sufficient to fix them now.

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I've talked several times about the importance of priorities, Bryce. RC first, family second! ;-)
    Thank shark face is awesome! After seeing these great examples of the A10 I have decided to repair mine. It's been too long! Congratulations on the new baby in the family!

17. criznach

criznach Airman

F1, I can't remember how far back yours was crunched, but I pulled off a minor nose job on mine in an evening. My cannon caught the grass and tore out. Pretty easy plane to fix so far, but I've had lots of practice. :) On the bright side, after the repairs and adding some foam tac and fiberglass, I no longer need the nose weight!

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, I guess there's a bright side to anything! I had to redo my nose once before and went back about 6 inches... Check out 3:50

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

19. Newt

Newt Administrator

Had a chance to finally get to fly the A-10 on a sunny and calm day. Shot some "scale flying" video.
    Moved my CG back even more (I'll have to measure it sometime) and now she's trimmed out with the elevators only up about 1/16" and handles great!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    criznach and FatherAndSons like this.
  20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Awesome mark, what motor are you using, it's got good speed!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2