FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Bluecore does handle a good bit of forming before it will crack or break. You have to work at it a little bit. If you try to bend or form it all in one motion, it will break, but with a little patience you can slowly mold it into shape. It is one of the benefits of bluecore. There are many downsides to bluecore also. I think this plane in particular would have been a lot easier to build with Depron because of the added rigidity and strength that Depron provides. I have had to do a lot of extra reinforcements in order to get sufficient stiffness in the airframe. Regardless, I think it is going to fly very well.

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Perfect job on the nose bryce! I approve! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

FatherAndSons likes this.
  3. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

It is a perfect design. I couldn't help, but get it right :).

4. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

After Newts launch incident, I have contemplated which way I will launch the A-10. Greg, Jay or anyone else with experience, have you tried the underhand launch on the A-10 (like the new RCPowers V3 launch technique)? Do you prefer, under or over hand launching? Anyone try a "sally side saddle" throw on the A-10?

I usually launch my parkjets at about 50% throttle, but on this one, I'm thinking I might want to give it a little bit more throttle on take off. What throttle position have you guys preferred for launch?

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, I am sure it will do, all your previous (bluecore) planes have flown very well!

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Bryce, I throw it overhand because it tends to drop a little after launch until airspeed rises. Torque roll isn't much of a factor with thus wingspan so throttle up! I go 2/3 throttle. I would not do side saddle launch for control reasons or launch it underhand because as it leaves your hand the prop will be getting closer to your hand as it levels off!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky now Free

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Boxermad84 likes this.
  8. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks Greg, You confirmed my thoughts. Overhand it is! throttle up and let her go. I suspect that as far as the overhand throw goes, the follow through is important. I will be conscious of my throwing motion to ensure that i don't stop the throwing motion of my arm in the path of the prop. It would seem that as long as u follow through on your throw, your hand should move right out of the way, land perfectly on the radio and be the start of an awesome flight :cool:

9. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I am trying a new idea on my hatch magnets. I don't know about you guys, but i use to just put the magnets on with hot glue. Until...i had my F-117 magnets come loose on a hot summer day :eek:

I then started using Foam tac to attach them and they still fail periodically because the bluecore foam breaks eventually...not the foam-tac. I have always put a magnet on a magnet, which is such a strong connection and requires a lot of force (and subsequently a lot of force on the glue and foam) so now, i am going to use a magnet on one side, and a finish nail (small surface area = less force to remove). To help hold the nail and the magnets in place, i used a very small piece of fiberglass mesh drywall tape and foam-tac. I don't think the magnets or the nails will break loose now...i won't know until i fly it, if the hatch will be secure enough or not, but i think it will be. I hope it will be ;):confused::eek:

Attached Files:

10. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

21.76 oz with an 1800mah 3cell 40 c battery. Battery weighs 5.5 oz. No paint yet. Horiz stabs yet to be installed (but they were on the plane when i weighed it). I still may have to add a little weight for c.g. although not much.

After ballast in nose, paint and a few more reinforcements, i think i will be between 23 & 24 oz, I hope. uploadfromtaptalk1381179422083.jpg

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Very good idea bryce, I to used to have that problem on the f117, in the end I used epoxy with smaller magnets. I'll try that out on my next project. I love how crisp and clean your build is, very impressive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

12. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I like the method that e3_scott suggested to me for filling the gaps. It takes some time, but it is easy and looks good (especially if u cut the pieces on a 45 deg angle in order to minimize sanding.

I also believe that filling these gaps will be significant in increasing the strength of the fuselage, in particular its torsional strength.

uploadfromtaptalk1381183376531.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1381183397298.jpg

rkpddavis likes this.
  13. criznach

criznach Airman

I've been doing overhand as well. I didn't feel I had as good of a grip with underhand. Mine definitely stiffened up just from filleting the top two and bottom two joints. I didn't do the narrow seams on the sides yet, but I may if I decide to paint it.

14. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

The A10 deserves to be painted :D. i've enjoyed learning from your experiences with this plane. Thanks Criznach!

15. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

[​IMG]Unfortunately, i have to go to work. I'm almost done. :D Just need to mount the vertical stabilizers, do just a bit more reinforcing, sand the grooves smooth and paint. Maiden coming soon. :rolleyes: Probably next week as i am headed back to work. :(

OGHarpax and F1wanabe like this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I hope those are Charmin wing supports, Bryce! ;) Looking Good!!!

17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Yeah, only the best for the A-10. Charmin it is. Hey they're round too. Toilet paper isnt too heavy, maybe this could work in place of tie wraps if i turn them 90 degrees :p

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

That is an awesome clean build, wish mine looked like that before the cosmetics, what glue do you use?

19. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks Barry.

I used foam-tac glue on the entire plane (with the exception of the motor mount, where i used Gorilla Glue).

20. criznach

criznach Airman

I was very happy to get the chance to fly the A-10 again today.

My first flight I set it up exactly as I had the other day, and it still wanted quite a bit of up elevator to fly level. That flight went well except a slightly rough landing resulting in some tape on the nose, which I'm repairing tonight. Not a big deal. On the next two flights I moved the battery back a tiny bit each time. I ended up with the CG maybe 3/4" back from the leading edge like Newt said. I didn't notice any bad characteristics, and the elevator issue was reduced. I'll continue to play with it, but I liked where it was headed. Almost hands off flying.

I think this plane is teaching me to fly scale, as F1 said. At 26+ ounces it seems a little heavy in the air and I can't get very crazy with the ailerons. I try not to bank it very steep unless I have lots of altitude to spare. I mentally wanted to fly this plane at full throttle the whole time. I had to force it, but it does fly pretty well at 1/2 throttle. I think I just felt more confident in the turns with more juice. I tried a couple of aileron rolls - again with lots of altitude to spare. The first time it nosed down drastically and I recovered. The second time I gave it down elevator midway through to compensate. It was sloppy but still looked awesome!

It's glide seems steep compared to some of my other planes. Again, maybe due to higher than recommended weight. It made landing challenging today but maybe I just need to get used to slow flight. :)

Keep in mind that I'm still fairly new to flying, so my observations may just be the learning process everyone else has already gone through!