FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Looks like I am the Guinea pig :p Actually, Greg was the Guinea Pig and i will try to learn from the problems he had using bluecore foam. I think it is going to work out just fine. We'll see :rolleyes:

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. Newt

Newt Administrator

3. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

You have no idea how much i would like to say yes and give all the awesome details of my progress, but...unfortunately, i have had to work every day for the past 8 days. Unfortunately, my shifts are so long that on days that i have to work, i am either working, commuting, eating or sleeping. That is the bad news.

The good news: i anticipate having a couple of hours here and there over the weekend to work on the Tank Killer :cool: I have suffered through the past week feeling neglectful and saddened to leave this beauty unattended. Progress will resume this weekend...of course, depending on a variety of personal obligations that are more than enough to fill the weekend too.

Updates will be coming :rolleyes:

Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  4. criznach

criznach Airman

My second build of the A-10 is just about ready to fly. I still need to glue the vertical stabilizers and canopy magnets. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow. :D

I built this one lighter, and plan to keep it unpainted until I've had a few flights. The first one was nearly 30oz after paint. Before paint, this one is 25.3oz even with fiberglass tape laminated between the wing layers. I repositioned all of the electronics as far forward as possible so I don't need any extra nose weight. This meant longer ESC extension wires, but the tradeoff was well worth it. On the previous build I didn't plan very well, and the ESC, receiver, and elevator servo were very close to the CG. I used a clevis on the ailerons this time because I wasn't confident in the ez connectors I used on the last one.

I've also made some headway finding the right prop for flying at 5000 feet, so I am hopeful this one will perform nicely. I can fly a 6 x 5.5 here and still be within the ratings of my Turnigy motor. The extra thrust was really nice when I tested it on another plane!

2013-10-05 20.48.41.jpg

BarryM likes this.
  5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Looking good criznach! I did some more work on mine today and from the sound of it, i am making some of the same decisions as u did regarding your placement of electronics. I actually placed my elevator servo inside the fuselage in the nose of the plane. If i ever nose it in a 'nose job' will be a lot lore work, but i am hoping to eliminate nose weight as much as possible too. My esc is all the way forward in the battery compartment with longer esc extensions. I wish i had more time. Kids and their sports always take priority over the plane (according to my wife...and she IS the boss :p uploadfromtaptalk1381031632736.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1381031679531.jpg

Attached Files:

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Both look great guys! Under 25 oz is best, and moving components forward will leave you with more flexibility with battery placement and ballast. Great Work!

7. criznach

criznach Airman

Wow, you REALLY went forward with that servo! Good plan. Mine sits just ahead of the largest bulkhead. My ESC is in the fuselage bottom as far forward as it would fit, with some ducts cut for air.

8. criznach

criznach Airman

I have a CAD drawing of the rolled nacelle out of MPF, if anyone's interested. Just need to make a PDF. I covered the outside with tape and rolled it on a piece of pipe. It took a few tries to get it to fit right. I'm not sure if other materials would fit with the same circumference, but it's worth a shot.

9. criznach

criznach Airman

Your elevator servo placement is brilliant after looking closer. I didn't realize it was on the bottom! You could probably even put the ESC on the other side.

10. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Yeah it is on the bottom and is very secure as it is attached to the most forward bulkhead, the inner vertical fuselage piece and the floor of the fuselage. It is on the bottom. I wanted to move it forward as far as possible. I just hope i don't ever have a 'landing' requiring a 'nose job' :eek: As it will require a little more work :oops:

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  11. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

My servos and esc are installed. Here is a picture of my electronics placement. If u r looking for my elevator servo, it is located in front of the first bulkhead in the nose. The esc is just behind that. I havent done any c.g. testing yet as i haven't mounted the motor yet or the bottom or the vert stabilizers. I hope i haven't gone too far forward with the electronics.

Unfortunately, i am done working on it for the day. Family and i are off to church for the afternoon. I'm getting closer. I can't wait to fly it!

Attached Files:

Newt likes this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

It looks really good F&S, and a very clever placement of the servo :)
    I look forward to seeing it fly. Good luck!

FatherAndSons likes this.
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You should be good Bryce. The A10 needs 1 1/2 to 2 oz ballast on the nose, so you still may need at lwast 3/4 - 1 oz on the nose. You can use a lighter canon though! And overall weight would still be lower. Good Engineering!

14. criznach

criznach Airman

I just flew mine! Very nice at 3-4 oz lighter weight and new prop! No crash!

I ended up adding a 1/2 oz cannon made of 7 pieces of brass tubing and a couple of hunks of solid brass rod. This brought it to just over 26 oz. FatherAndSons, your servo placement might be just the ticket. It seems to sink a bit at low throttle, so as F1 said, a little lighter would probably be ideal. Something else you could try - I skipped the bullet connectors and soldered my extensions directly to the motor leads, which I think saved around 8g in the tail.

It needed a bit of up trim to get it level (around 1/4 inch throw on the elevator), so I may mess with the battery placement a little next time. F1, boxermad, newt, etc, did you need any up trim, or do you think my CG is a little off?

15. Newt

Newt Administrator

Yup - same thing here - after trimming for level flight I noticed I had about 1/4" - 3/8" up elevator.
    Next flight I moved the battery 1/4" back and re-trimed. Flight characteristics were still good. Landed and checked elevators - they are still up about 3/16" - 1/4".
    If it is less windy next time I'll move the battery back another 1/4 inch.
    Oh - need to add - my all up weight is 30 oz and starting cg was 3/4" back from leading edge and halfway between landing gear pods and fuselage.

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I do need a little uptrim but 1/4 inch seems excessive. Can you check your motor angle to see if it is thrusting the nose down? A touch of down angle would cause that. One other thing you guys can experiment with once you build your second plane? You can try to get a little trim out of the nacelle angle! We have a good balance between motor angle, nacelle angle, and ... wing pod design! There was a lot of planning here. But, if you are very particular like me, you can maiden the plane without nacelles. See how it flies and get it zeroed in. Then when you add nacelles, you can tack them in and adjust angles to get level flight. This is something we would not ask our "customers" to do but its what we did when designing the plane. This allows me to let go of the controls and have the pane fly itself.
    You can pull back the CG somewhat, but if you go back too far, you will see the plane start to porpoise- move up and down like a dolphin. At that point you can move battery forward until it stops. That will give you an ideal cg for your plane.

17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Made a little more progress. Electronics are all mounted and the bottom of the fuselage is installed. Here is a picture of the nose. I really like how the design brings all these pieces together. uploadfromtaptalk1381164553228.jpg

18. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Greg, i definitely would have tried your suggestion of flying it before mounting the nacelles, but...mine were already installed, so i won't be able to this time. I can't wait to finish it and get it mounted though.

It is hard to search from my phone with this poor connection. Can someone remind me what the ideal weight range is for the A-10?

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

23-24 ounces is good Bryce. Newt is around 30 I think? What I said about flying without nacelles I would recommend for a second build. The set up we have is really good, but when I saw talk about shifting cg then I thought I would mention the kind of steps we went through arriving at the set up we have now. Once you get the feel if the A10 it's easier to do. When you are new to the A10 it isn't as easy.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky now Free

Boxermad84 and FatherAndSons like this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

That foam seems to be very flexible, looks to endure a lot before it cracks up.
    Anyway, the nose looks fantastic, symmetric without bumps and twists. Good Job! F&S :)

Newt likes this.