FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

No way could i ever keep up with you Jay, but that Mosquito is definitely calling my name :) I hear it buzzing in my sleep...thanks to you :confused: I guess I am going to have to build one :cool:

Boxermad84 and Newt like this.
  2. Newt

Newt Administrator

I dreamed that I heard the mosquito buzzing too!
    But it turned out to be my wife snoring ;)

Boxermad84, ASD and FatherAndSons like this.
  3. lawrenceb

lawrenceb Airman

Newt likes this.
  4. criznach

criznach Airman

Not sure, and unfortunately the start of that spinning dive was out of the video frame. I was making adjustments to the CG, and I think it was still tail heavy. One of my turns ended in a dive that I couldn't pull out of, and suddenly it started spinning downward. I had some damage at the root of the wings from an earlier crash, and I think the wing may have pivoted on the spar, which caused it to spin. I'd repaired it with fiberglass tape, foam tac, and gorilla glue, but I think it gave out from the speed of the dive.

I'm building another as soon as we're finished moving!

5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Sorry about the outcome. Will u build another? It would have to be easier the second time around! You should do it. Your first looked great!

criznach likes this.
  6. criznach

criznach Airman

The next one I think I'll use more drywall tape on the wing root, and extend the top wing piece to just inside the fuse. I may also try a different larger or higher pitch prop, because I'm flying at 5000 feet and I'm seeing a lot of things that indicate that I'm not getting the thrust I should be. It was nose diving with every toss, so I moved the CG back from the plan. I think that's partly why I crashed. Now I think the nose dives may have been partly due to inadequate thrust for it's weight, because once up to speed it seemed to have enough lift.

7. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Ouch! Sorry about the A-10 criznach! Bonus points for catching it on video though. :)

criznach likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Criznach, if the cg is too far back the nose pitches down suddenly. Sounds backwards, but it is true. When cg is too far back then the plane will erratically pitch up and down as it see saws on the wing. So when the nose was dropping on launch, it could have still needed cg more forward. Did you have extra weight on the nose? By any chance did you have a stabilizer?

9. criznach

criznach Airman

Yes I had about 2 oz of weight in the nose, and no stabilizer. CG was very close to the mark. Maybe 1/8 behind at the time of the crash. I was adding and removing quarters on the nose with tape to tweak it. I've flown a couple of my planes tail-heavy by accident, and the a-10's flight behavior didn't seem familiar. I've seen the pitch-down problem on my BD-5. Overall weight was 29oz. Once it was flying it felt pretty good. The low pass crash in the video was entirely my lack of experience. The final crash seemed to be some kind of structural failure, but it all started with a steep dive that it didn't want to pull out of. I was just starting to experiment with how the elevator worked (other than simple turns).

What's everyone think about the prop/altitude issue? My measurements seem consistent with what I've been reading on rcgroups, etc. Lower than expected amperage and wattage, motors all run hot, possibly from higher rpms. I did some gps testing with my SU-37 and the prop drive, and it's only hitting around 50 mph speed-wise. I'm tempted to order some 6x5s and bench test. I wish I had a tachometer...

10. richb2599

richb2599 Rookie

Do you peel the "skin" off of the FFF before you build with it?

BTW, I used your battery compartment mod on my last RCP F-22 V2! Love that plane!

RB

11. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Yes. I always remove the film from the bluecore fff foam. If u try to glue to it, the flue adheres to the film instead of the foam. Some people remove only the small areas where glue will be applied because the film does add some strength. I always remove all of the film because eventually with some wear and tear, flexing and bending, the film is going to come off anyway.

If u do use the bluecore on the A-10, be aware that it is not as stiff as depron and will need to be reinforced in the wings, the junction between the horizontal stabilizer and the fuselage & the nacelle pylons also need reinforcement. I am using extra carbon throughout and will be reinforcing with fiberglass mesh drywall tape and foam-tac glue on most leading and trailing edges of the plane.

Good luck with yours!!!

Glad u were able to use the battery compartment mods in your F22. I love that plane!

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thrust is a little less important on this plane I flew the prototypes with the mjv3. That was a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. But, with that kind of thrust ratio on such a draggy plane as thus, momentum is everything. No leeway at all. If you have thinner air, thrust may be even lower, therefore your throttle settings will always be higher.
    At your weight, tip stalls can also become a factor. My heaviest prototype was 25 oz and I didnt have it, but at 30 oz you probably do. So, a heavier plane with low thrust to weight would be like 2 strikes. Then the cg could have been the third strike.
    I'd like to recommend flying this plane with lower rates and higher expo in order to get the scale look. Fly fast and smooth, and if you want to come in slow, flaps help a lot. The plane looks and flies scale, so doing un scale type maneuvers (like a dive bomb run) may not work out well. ;-)

OGHarpax likes this.
  13. richb2599

richb2599 Rookie

Thanks for quick reply. Yes, I will be building the A-10. I used FFF for my first F-22 and I still have a bunch left in the shop. Might as well use it. Depron is nice to work with, but I hate to let the FFF go to waste. I'm anxious to see your finished A-10 and the maiden video.

RB

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

RB, Keep an eye on what Bryce does to reinforce his A10. The fff definitely will create unwanted flight characteristics if it is not rigid. As I mentioned before, I thought we still had set up work to do on the A10. But once I built it from depron and all the fff flexing was removed, it became so solid!

15. criznach

criznach Airman

I talked to an electric flyer at the local hobby shop today, and he said that indeed, most local flyers will go up at least 1 inch of size and/or pitch. He said in some cases, 2 inches. I also plugged some numbers into prop calc for 500' vs 5000', and the thrust number was around 8% less. Watts and amps were also lower. So I think I'm seeing a little of this... I'll be ordering some 6x5s and maybe 7x4s to test. Thanks for the good advice!

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

If this is your situation. I would recommend go big. An ntm prop drive 2200 on 7x5. With that size prop altitude has less of an effect.

17. okie86

okie86 Airman

so does spackle work well on DTF

18. criznach

criznach Airman

Yes it does.

19. criznach

criznach Airman

I'll try just the prop first. That motor would add an extra ounce to the tail, so at least 2 oz including ballast.

20. richb2599

richb2599 Rookie

Thanks F1,
    I will definitely pay attention to Bryce's build. I picked up the fiber glass tape yesterday and have foam tac. Might just go with the depron on this one. We'll see how it turns out with Bryce.

RB