FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks for the help Greg! This project has sure been fun! A challenge (because i don't have any depron and chose to build from the much more flexible bluecore fanfold) but i love the plane and the challenge. I probably would have been better off following your advice to use Depron, but...i'm having fun and will get this bird flight worthy - if it kills me :D

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Bryce, had I known about your fiberglass tape/ foam tac reinforcements, my fff prototype would have flown fine. I'm sure yours will too!

Newt and FatherAndSons like this.
  3. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

[​IMG]Build is coming along quite slowly, but my wife says i have to keep going to work and won't let me stay home and fly planes all day like i would prefer :(

Anyway, the Lowe's fanfold bluecore foam is great in most applications, but on this plane is clearly going to require more reinforcement than normal because of its unique (but AWESOME) design.

I have reinforced the wings significantly and expect to have little to no noticeable flex during flight as a result. If u look in the pictures below, I am using a 6 mm diameter tube (yes that is a full foam thickness tube) through the center of the wing. 6mm tube is VERY rigid. I also use two short 6mm x 1mm flat carbon fiber pieces (about 7"long) for extra reinforcement at the wing tips themselves. Towards the leading edge of the wing i used a full length 4mm diameter tube bent into an arc to somewhat march the contour of the wing and to further increase the stiffness of the carbon fiber and the wing.

The last picture shows my oldest son holding the plane from the tip of the wing, horizontally. I had him hold it like this to show that there is zero flex in the wing now. U will notice that the front and back of the fuselage are not yet assembled but flex easily under there own weight. Once assembled and further reinforced, i expect to remove the flex from these portions of the plane also.

If u look closely, u will also see my hilarious younger son and my wife 'photo bombing' my picture. They think they r so funny :p

Attached Files:

Newt likes this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Yeah, i am still planning to double up the wings and tail. I want it to be tough and rigid. She's coming together....slowly:):(:)

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Prototype? What prototype?! Are you holding out on me? ;)

8. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I was wondering the same thing Greg! :)

9. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Unfortunately, A10 progress ends for me until next week. 13-15 hour days plus a 1 hour commute, will keep me from building again until next week. So...my Warthog will sit like this until next week :(

Oh well. I am grateful to still have a good job and I know that i am going to love this plane :rolleyes: :D
    [​IMG]

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

OGHarpax, Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  11. criznach

criznach Airman

Unfortunately my GoPro battery ran out before my a-10's maiden flight, but I got some video today of day two... Enjoy. ;)

Incisal and FatherAndSons like this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

13. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

That doesn't sound fun at all - hope it is only for the week! Between work and family stuff, I tend to make progress a little at a time.

14. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

The crazy hours won't be for too much longer. The military facility where i work is closing down and all of us will be let go in the next 1-3 months. So...i'll be looking for a new job with better hours and at least for a little while i might just have more time to build and fly than i normally do :D:p:)

All i can seem to think abt lately is getting back to work on my A10 :rolleyes:

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. Newt

Newt Administrator

16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Working on the A-10 again. Dry-fitting the pieces together. This is a great design. Not as hard as what I anticipated. I can't wait to get it finished and airborne! Can't believe that the military has this plane on the chopping block :confused:. Here are some pics of my progress:
    IMG_20130924_172438.jpg IMG_20130924_173446.jpg IMG_20130924_173513.jpg IMG_20130924_174515.jpg IMG_20130924_174622.jpg IMG_20130924_174649.jpg

Airflow, ASD and Newt like this.
  17. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Wow criznach, that first "low pass" was really low :cool::eek:, but the second one well...:eek::eek::eek:I'm sure sorry. It was beautiful. Thanks for sharing the video! Any idea what happened?

18. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Looking good! Don't forget that the blue FFF isn't as stiff as depron, so you'll want to reinforce it a bit in spots to get it as rigid as the plans require.

19. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks Dtribby! Yeah, I am going heavy on the reinforcements with this one. The wing is already very, very stiff. Next i'll be working on strengthening the horizontal stabilizer to fuselage junction and the nacelle pylons. It should be very strong, but not too heavy when i am done. We'll see :)

20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator