FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Newt, I love that sound too! It's the nacelles that are making the whistling noise, although I think of it as a tone rather than whistle. Like a pipe organ or something. Wicked is a good way to describe it!
    Bryce, flaps are not necessary and I flew mine most of the time without them. The flaperon setting is good at 50 percent tops, but over that you lose control during slow flying or landing. The inboard flaps allow you to put them at 100 percent and still have aileron control. So, if you have ailerons only you are good, if you do 50 percent flaperons you're good, or if you do inboard flaps you are also good! Rudders would be great, but I did not want to do the complicated linkage to make them work.

FatherAndSons and Newt like this.
  2. Newt

Newt Administrator

Bryce -
    To be honest - at this time I think the flaps are more of a novelty for me and not a necessity at all.
    She flies so good slow or fast - but I've only had 3 flights.
    As for the Spit. Yes it is a FT Spitfire. Used DTfoam with paper on. Painted it with oil based minwax and then wiped it off with a rag. Let dry over night then painted it with krylon spray paint.
    This makes the DTF paper stiff and damage and water resistant.
    My plane was in need of some nose weight so I opted for a big 35 36 NTM motor. 1400kv spinning a big 10x6 prop. We have clocked it @ over 80 mph!
    I took it to N.E.A.T. fair this week end to show it to the FT guys. David loved it and wanted to fly it with that big motor but it was a little rainy and very crowded on the flight line.
    here is my flight video

Airflow and FatherAndSons like this.
  3. Newt

Newt Administrator

Totally agree about the flaps Greg. You hit it right on the head!

4. TYOHO

TYOHO Cadet

Did you minwax it before or after you built it . I picked up a pre-cut kit at NEAT and was debating how well the foam would bend after the minwax treatment.

5. Newt

Newt Administrator

TYOHO -
    NEAT was pretty amazing!
    I minwaxed after it was assembled and all glued up. I don't think the foam would bend at all after the minwax treatment - probably just break off.
    newt

6. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

My gosh the bugs in last slomo flyby were thick! Great looking Spit BTW, and great flying.

- Matt

Newt likes this.
  7. Newt

Newt Administrator

The bugs that day were insane.
    And thanks!
    Newt

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

F1wanabe likes this.
  9. Newt

Newt Administrator

Excellent design makes it very easy to fly.

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. criznach

criznach Airman

Soooo looking forward to flying mine! I decided to try and finish it before we move. Couldn't stand to put all my art stuff away yet. :)

Attached Files:

F1wanabe and Newt like this.
  11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

12. Newt

Newt Administrator

Ok so this is just a heads up for those of you building the FRC A-10.
    I would strongly suggest using the under hand launch method instead of over hand...
    Watch F1's video to see what I am saying.
    Good news is my A-10 survived and I was able to land her unscathed and we were able to clean the blood out of my new ER9x Tx. :eek:
    Dr. took care of my index finger for me.
    Don't click the thumbnail if you have a weak stomach.
    6x4 prop at about 30,000 rpms

HPIM0911.JPG

13. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Ouch! So sorry this happened to you Mark. :(

I am not sure which of F1's videos u r talking about. I don't remember anyone launching this one underhand. Have u done it successfully?

Your finger definitely gives each of us a much needed reminder of the hazards that we are dealing with. Thanks for the heads up. It is good to remind each of us to be careful, to launch and fly safely.

I'm glad your finger was not worse.

I just finished cutting out the parts for my A-10. What an awesome plane! uploadfromtaptalk1379545081430.jpg

14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

15. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I am in the process of planning my reinforcements on the bluecore FFF. I know that it will need to be strengthened significantly, but I have a question to those of you that have built this plane. Which areas are most vulnerable to twisting and bending? I know that the wing needs to be reinforced but am more specifically wondering about the fuselage and tail.

It seems like I remember reading that the fuselage twists with the tail. Does the fuselage need to be reinforced? Or if the horizontal stabilizer is reinforced enough, will that take care of any flexing twisting issues?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

16. Newt

Newt Administrator

Oops my mistake - just watched F1's A-10 video and he successfully overhand launched.
    It must be the pain killers....:)
    Well, the truth is after we patched up my finger at the field ( being a former FF/EMT for the city FD comes in handy) I insisted on flying the A-10 before I headed off to get sewn up. Underhand tossed it and all was good.

Lots of parts aren't there? I will be curious how the blue core works out for you.
    I think the mesh tape and foamtac will really beef her up.
    Wings, and horizontal and vertical stabs will need to be strong for sure. The main fuse is well reinforced and should be good with just some attention to the belly.
    Might want to beef up the blue core where the fuse meets the rear stabs. I think it will twist a little there with the torque of the motor.
    I think Greg built one or two out of blue core.
    My FRC F-15 was blue core and had a lot of wing and tail flexing until I beefed her up.
    Mark

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Newt, I'm sorry to see that! I tend to toss the plane up so the plane is gone when my hand drops. Underhand would work too!

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Bryce, The twisting mainly occurred at the fuselage between the nacelles and the nacelles. This caused some erratic tracking in a straight line to the point that there was a noticeable increase in stability when I made the final plane out of depron. But, if you strategically reinforce the fuselage, nacelle stems and tail with fiberglass/foamtac, you should be OK! You'll see where I mean once its done.

19. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks greg. U said the twisting was between the nacelles and the nacelles. Did u mean between the vertical/horizontal stabilizers and the nacelles? Just trying to plan ahead and learn from the experiences of others :rolleyes:

I have am finished reinforcing the wing. I believe it will be quite strong and very rigid.

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Sorry Bryce, I should save said at fuselage between nacelles and the nacelles THEMSELVES! I left that part out. I could see the nacelle pylons twisting as it flew when I built with fff.