FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. criznach

criznach Airman

True... I'm playing with full sized nacelles right now, so I may just go 100%.

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

After sleeping on this idea.... If you did go 80 percent there would be plenty of lift and the mjv3 would definitely push it! There may be a little tweaking necessary in the nacelles and nose. The depron thickness would not be 80 percent so the nose and or nacelles may not exactly come together. It can be done, but the cg will have to be very precise.

3. Newt

Newt Administrator

A-10 is ready to maiden. Here she is.

a-10_11.jpg

A-10_22.jpg

a-10_33.jpg

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Mark, that is really amazing! Looks liked metal! What finish do you have on it? Can't wait to see it in per person tomorrow! Will you wait to maiden it at NEAT?

Newt likes this.
  5. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Beautiful Mark! I am so excited to get mine built! U beat me to it and what a beautiful job u did!!!

Newt likes this.
  6. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thanks Greg -
    Finish sanded with 320 grit which really smooths the depron. Just brush painted with acrylic craft paint. Sanded again between coats.
    I had a friend that used to work with me at the FD. He joined the Air force as a firefighter at Eielson AFB in Alaska where there were A-10s as well as KC-135's and some F-15's too (I think)
    Anyway - he kept me well informed with stories and pix so I thought I'd deck this A-10 out like one of those Alaskan A-10's. (just waiting for you guys to design a KC-135 stratotanker so I can try one);)
    Probably won't fly her at NEAT - pretty crowded for a maiden.

7. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thanks Bryce!
    I started this build in early June and just puttered away at it. Wanted to add full functioning flaps so that took some extra time to figure out the linkages. Next time I think I would just mount 2 flap servos instead of building the linkage system.
    Because of the flaps I decided to mount the aileron servos out board on the wings and imbedded them and the servo wires into the foam. They look a little vulnerable so we will see if that was a good idea.
    I was going to try to mount the servos inside of the gear nacelles like someone else here did. If I didn't have the flaps in the way I think it would have been a good idea.
    She is getting close to 30 ounces with battery so I am a little concerned about the take off. Once she has some air speed it should be ok .
    Probably going to be a "bear" to see on cloudy days.
    Mark

8. Newt

Newt Administrator

These are a couple of the photos I used for reference
    A-10_44.jpg
    ak tail.jpg

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Had great visit with Newt at the NEAT fly in. Newt built an awesome FRCFoamies A10 Warthog!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And look... Inboard flaps!
    [​IMG]

10. criznach

criznach Airman

I had the pleasure of watching this bad boy today at Warbirds Over the Rockies here in Colorado. Twin turbines! HOLY CRAP - BAD A**. I'm about 1/2 way through my build and it got me stoked.
    _MG_6524.JPG _MG_6531.JPG

F1wanabe, Newt and FatherAndSons like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Those are great pictures, criznach! Glad to see you have some good weather considering the flooding in Colorado. After seeing Newt's A10 today, I must repair mine. I miss it dearly. Good luck with the rest of your build!

12. criznach

criznach Airman

Yes today was very nice. It was supposed to rain more but it was sunny until this evening. Probably a bit more rain tomorrow so I'm glad I made it to the event today. Here's another pic of that a10 on the ground. Saw some very nice airplanes today! _MG_6559.JPG

13. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Incredible!

14. Newt

Newt Administrator

Maiden flight video - unedited.

EricR likes this.
  15. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

That was great!

Newt likes this.
  16. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

I'm jealous Newt! Great job on the A10. It is a beauty.

Newt likes this.
  17. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thanks guys!
    I have to say that this was probably the easiest maiden flight that I have ever had.
    This plane is rock solid - just like the real one!
    The only hint of a close call was one time in a slow bank turn with full flaps. The wind was pretty strong and started to push me over - but all I had to do was hit the gas and she powered safely out of it.
    Totally my error - I know better.
    I was using a 6x4 APC prop today on the Power Up Zoom 450 motor. Greg advised me to switch it to a EMP6x3 , but I forgot to bring one along. Next time I"ll try the EMP.
    I can't wait to fly her again!

FatherAndSons likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That was a REALLY good maiden, Mark! Plenty of speed from the 6x4. Tell me how the inboard flaps performed?

Newt likes this.
  19. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thanks Greg.
    She is so stable. Only thing I forgot to try was inverted flight.
    Just checked the AUW - 30oz with nanotech 2200 s3
    Just a little bit of wing flex was visible when I looped it.
    Flaps at 30° was just right for landing and 1/2 throttle flight
    full flaps - about 75° at full throttle will pitch the nose right up and at 1/4 throttle it just floats along level.
    Banked it to down wind once at full flaps and 1/4 throttle and she wanted to rollover and stall but pushing the throttle up was enough to let me roll back up. I know better - just got complacent because she is so stable =)
    I will be experimenting more next time with flaps.
    At 30oz she carries some speed on landings so the flaps should help.
    It flies more like my spitfire than a typical parkjet but way more stable and relaxing to fly than the Spitfire which gets a little twitchy when WFO.
    One added bonus was that it has a whistle sound at full throttle that resembles a turbine. Not sure if it is the prop or the wind passing through the engine nacelles or something else but it sure sounds wicked!
    The Zoom 450 motor is excellent. It has plenty of power and pulls her straight up without any trouble. And just as you said, there was no torque roll effect on take off - full throttle and give a toss.
    Wind today was between 10 -15 mph and was never an issue. No visible buffeting. Better than the FRC SU-37mkII which I think punches through the wind pretty well.

Boxermad84 likes this.
  20. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Thanks for this discussion Newt! It makes me feel even better about my decision to build an FRC A10!

Are you referring to the Flite Test spitfire becoming twitchy at full throttle or some other spitfire? That is another plane I have considered building, although i really dislike the idea of dollar tree foam with the paper on it. If i were to build it, i don't think i would use dollar tree foam ( but if i did, i think i'd remove the paper). What did u do Newt?

Sorry to go off topic.

Thanks for the inspiration on the A10!

R the inboard flaps worth it? Or is it sufficient to just mix flaps with the full length ailerons? I don't really want to add two more servos for flaps unless it is really worthwhile. Anybody have an opinion one way or the other?