FRCFoamies A10 Warthog !

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by F1wanabe, May 30, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

FRCFoamies A10 Warthog MK1
    Click here for plans

After a few months of testing and modifying and repeating, and after getting a hard time from guys in the other thread (!), Jay and I are confident that we have a real stable, aerobatic and above all "cool" plane to offer as a free download:
    The FRC A10 Warthog!​
    As we discussed in the preview thread, this is a hard plane to set up, but if you follow the cg mark, power system recommendations and motor angle on the plans plans precisely, you will quickly fall in love with it. It may be an advanced build, but it certainly flies lke a beginner plane. In fact, it reminds me a lot of my excellent Hawk Sky with chopped wings and MJv3. Fast and maneuverable. The A10 is so stable that, once trimmed in, you will notice it is capable of some real hands off flying! If that doesn't work out for you then...we built it tough- double thick wings and tail that incorporate 4mmx2mm cf tubes. I'm using 2 aileron servos (so that flaperons are an option) and one elevator servo. It's possible to work out a single aileron servo if necessary. Rudders will be tough on this, so we don't recommend it. And, this takes 2 sheets of depron. Over the next few nights I will be adding build pictures of my A10 to help assembly. Please visit www.frcfoamies.com or follow this link to download:
    http://frcfoamies.com/FRC_A10_Warthog.php
    20130529_174957-1.jpg

20130529_175103.jpg
    20130529_175020.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. maruloko

maruloko Airman

That's a real nice A-10 congratulations ! - wonderful job !

F1wanabe likes this.
  3. bobbyperu

bobbyperu Airman

It looks really cool! I imagine making plans for and testing this one were no easy feat. You guys are awesome :)

F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  4. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

I for one know that it took many prototypes and a lot of hard work to get this plane where it is at right now, excellent job guys. Great looking plane.

Maestro, Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  5. Svetlin_Simeonov

Svetlin_Simeonov Cadet

Very good guys - you have no rest! :)

I tried to make my own before few months , but since I am EDF lover :) I made it with 2 50mm Alloy fans. I creaded plans myself looking real plane pictures. They are not scale or beautifull like yours but from what I can tell - This is a hard plane to make. CG was hard to guess and rudders are hard to be made. So I know it was not an easy task for you making this plans!

Thanks for the hard work on these plans - I already downloaded and will try soon.

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

nice job (except for the paint) :p:D lol!!! hope to see some people build this...it would have bene a deal if you guys had charged for the plans....with all the work we saw go into it....crazy it is free.... "thumbup"

D

F1wanabe likes this.
  7. jon.mark.wright

jon.mark.wright Airman

Congratulation guys on the release of another exceptional plane. You've nailed this one for sure looks and fly superb.

F1wanabe likes this.
  8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Yes, I agree Jay. I just filmed a walk around and flight video. Such a beautiful flier! Jay and I just spoke about how we get a lot of satisfaction from seeing our planes built and flown. So please start building!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

10. f4mnect

f4mnect Airman

thanks guys, i really appreciate the plans and all the hard work involved in this plane

F1wanabe likes this.
  11. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Copy flight leader, commencing my attack run

Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wonderfully cool! Hmm ... There is actually room for Tv :) Also available opportunities to move the motor 20 - 30 mm / 1 " forward to reduce counterweights in the front.:) Stabilizer can be built in 3mm Depron with wrapping paper. :D Anyway this fine FRC aircraft has many different possible options, Great:cool: And there will be a pleasure to build when summer turns to autumn!

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Oh man, it didn't take long for someone to throw out all that hard work we did, eh Jay? ;-)
    Airflow, do so at your own risk! It's not just a matter of maintaining cg on this plane. Every proportion and thrust angle is important! As with any plane, I recommend building to plan first then modifying.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha! No worries Greg! You and Jay have yourselves to blame!:p when you construct such challenging platforms.:) it will first fly in its original form. Then it becomes a challenge to experiment with the COG as a solid benchmark. There will be a lot of fun -!-<:)>-!-

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. tchuanye

tchuanye Rookie

Cool plane! Thanks for the effort!

Some quick questions:
    1) Other than beveling the wing leading edges, is there a profile to the wings?
    2) You mentioned that the motor thrust angle was critical, so is it zero deg, in line with the centerline or there is an angle to it?

Thanks! Will try to build it....it has been one of my dream planes to build!

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

Keith_5031 likes this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Tchuanye, The wing is not a true airfoil but it sure acts like one! The rounding of the leading edge does create an airfoil like effect. If anyone has the patience, sculpting the rear of the wing may be VERY beneficial. I saw this method on YouTube but it would not have the durability.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Keith_5031 likes this.
  18. Keith_5031

Keith_5031 Airman

This is GREAT!:D I didn't expect them this soon, just downloaded and printed them out. Hope to have it built and maiden this weekend. Once again, you guys have done what some would say is impossible. Looks awesome and I believe it will fly just as awesome as it looks. Big "Thank You" to you guys, I know it took a lot of time, effort and determination and it paid off tremendously. Like JettaManDan said, would have no problem paying for these plans. I will try and post some of your other planes I have built along with this one. Just awesome. I am sooo giddy, going to be a late nite. Cheers:)

alanruss482, ASD and Boxermad84 like this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Thanks Keith! The promo video is loading now. I'm glad you are pleased with then plans, and hope you are still pleased after your maiden. Check in with build pics and questions. If you are happy with the final product, feel free to click that other button above the download button ;-).

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The download is already done, optional button activated, so why wait? When the movies and the pictures speak for themselves ...