FRCFoamies A10 Warthog MK2 PLANS AVAILABLE!!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Nov 4, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Racgyuk, looks beautiful! The plane should fly well at 35 oz wing loading wise and if thrust is good. The only thing I'd caution on is strengthening the wing pods (if you add them) because they would bear the brunt of the weight on landing. Good luck!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Slingshot and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  2. JTiger

JTiger Airman

If I want to build this will I need any special building materials other than depron, carbon fiber rod, and glue?

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

No, this is a typical score and fold plane like the rest, it just looks awesome- er It does require around 15 inch long esc extension wires, though. And I use a 2mm x 8mm cf strip that I glue to the wingspar as opposed to the tubes or rods.

www.frcfoamies.com

4. JTiger

JTiger Airman

Great! I have been hoping to find time to build the A-10 for a while. I really like the scale look and the wing design.

5. racgyuk

racgyuk Rookie

Finally managed to maiden my EDF A10

You will note how the nose dips as soon as I apply power, model also felt nose heavy, although c of g was exactly on the spar.

ESC cut power at 4 minutes due to low voltage, and on the landing, there was not enough elevator to lift the nose.

Went down in long grass, no damage.

Will try gradually moving batteries back on subsequent flights.

6. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

awesome! I found mine to be nose heavy too until I moved the battery back and past the CoG a little bit rear....then it flew great....nice job!

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice work! Plenty of thrust for sure. That dip is due to the thrust angle of the edfs since they are above the thrust line. If you look at the plan with the prop, the motor is on the thrust line but is still tilted about 2 degrees up angle which, together with cg and aerodynamics of the engine nacelles and wing pods, creates a perfect balance. However, using the edfs higher than the thrust line will require some angling to compensate. We did a lot of tweaking to get the prop version to fly well, and when I was experimenting with twin props on the nacelles, it took a lot of angling. You could pull cg back a little, but if you do it too much the plane will porpoise up and down. The solution is to tilt the edfs to compensate for them being higher than the thrust line. Good luck!

www.frcfoamies.com

8. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

It was a fun plane for us to do! When we did the mk1 we tested it without the nacelles and wing pods just to get the basic stuff like wingspan, length and cg dialed in. Once we added the nacelles it threw off the Aero balance, but wing pods helped bring it back. For the mk2 the airfoil wing changed the balance so that's where the cg and motor angle come in. One thing is for sure: the design of the plane needs a lot of weight on the nose to be stable. Not necessarily a forward cg, but some "gun mass" on the front helps. As far as using edfs, we'll let racgyuk handle that!

www.frcfoamies.com

10. racgyuk

racgyuk Rookie

Unfortunately there is no way to easily adjust the thrust angle of the EDFs. Even when gliding, with out the thrust above the wings, I need a lot of up elevator to glide. Once the speed drops off, you can't even raise the nose to flair to land. I will take the c of g as far back as the plane can handle, then use throttle to elevator mix to compensate for the rest.

The dip is only small, and as soon as the speed picks up, the nose comes back up.

It needed loads of up trim and left trim to fly straight and level.

I wonder if that is torque reaction to the fans ?

Once trimmed, it was very stable, flew like it was on rails, but had a nice crisp response.

EDFs are twin 40mm from Hobbyking, 8,000 kv motors.

Thrust to weight on full batteries is just about one to one.

Needed a minimum of 3/4 throttle to keep plane happy in the air.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

A couple notes for you :
    Up to 1/4 inch up trim is normal for this Plane.
    The cg is set right on the wingspar on the plans and you can bring it back about 1 inch before it begins to porpoise.
    If you are over 35 oz then it's important to come in fast and shallow so elevator still has authority. If you ever do another, is enlarge the whole elevator area to respond better with a heavier plane.
    Elevator throws must be maxed out!
    We really didn't do much thinking about edfs because the plane will really need to roll out and land on wheels to work well-like a banana hobbies plane, for example. That really takes it out of the parkjet category. Your launch ramp is beautiful for that!
    But I'm really surprised with your planes performance!! Very nice! A little twerking and it'll fly even better

www.frcfoamies.com

12. Nice, I always like to see if it will glide with 0 power, so yes find the happy spot for your battery.

13. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

I finally got around to building the A 10. I had to use a 3300 mah battery to get it to balance out. Total weight of 34 oz so I hope it flies well with a turnigy D2826-6 motor and a 3 blade prop. FSCN0130.JPG

malukk, Wildthing, Boxermad84 and 4 others like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

A good throw to get that airfoil working quickly and you should be on your way! 34oz is a little on the high side for that amount of thrust. The CG is pretty important on this, but at some point you may want to try a 2200 in the nose and see what happens!

15. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

If the wind ever dies down I will try both size battery and see how it goes.The dollar tree foam board made it on the heavy side.One of these days I will have to try MPF.

16. kevinspr

kevinspr Rookie

So I acquired the plans for the Mk-II as soon as they released; however, our house was for sale, we moved, etc. and, long story short, I finally have workspace and time for building again. The paint scheme is one discussed way earlier in the thread, an experimental Alaskan paint job for Eielson AFB. I think it looks alright, but I am a tad heavy at 30 oz. ( I had to open the front bulkhead to go all the way forward with the battery and add 8 pennies inside the very front of the nose to get the CG right). Powered by a Grayson MicroJet V3 and a 6x4 prop, I hope it won't wallow or stall, but I will let everyone know. Too windy for a maiden flight tonight, perhaps later this week.

Attached Files:

malukk, Wildthing, pileit1 and 3 others like this.
  17. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi kevinspr,

This looks awesome in the air. Just make sure you give it a decent chuck to get the wings working. You're gonna love this plane!

Peter

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, worth the wait, kevinspr! Beautiful! Good luck with the maiden flight and I agree, give it a good overhand throw at launch to get the airfoils working!

www.frcfoamies.com

19. kevinspr

kevinspr Rookie

Your excellent plans made this build pretty straightforward; it was easy to pull everything together and have a true and straight airframe. I have purchased a couple more FRCFOAMIES plans and more builds are in the works ( as long as I can find storage space not easily visible to my wife!). Thanks for the top-notch engineering!

FED50H, malukk, F1wanabe and 2 others like this.
  20. Very nice. :)