FRCFoamies A10 Warthog MK2 PLANS AVAILABLE!!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Nov 4, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That looks like a 5 degree tilt or so. 2 degrees max would be a good place to set it. Mine was 2 degrees and felt perfect! What kind of thrust does that motor/prop combo give you?

2. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

My 2¢. I don't think you're playing with enough ooomph! 1100kv seems kinda on the edge but I'm pretty new to all of this! My apologies if I'm off base.

Homey

3. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I'm using a Turnigy 2836/8 1100kv motor with a 10x4.5 carbon fiber prop. I think I should be getting a bit better than 1100grams of thrust with this combination. I can't remember the AUW of the original plane but I think it was around 900 grams.

4. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

No apology needed. Based on what info I found on the internet, I want to go for the maximum thrust and not speed. I looked again and base on some info I found on the internet I should be getting about 1300grams of thrust. I didn't expect a barn burner, I just want to get her in the air. Do you have a recommendation for a motor I might use on this plane or anyone else for that matter?

5. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Guys use 2200-2700. Gals I don't know! I've heard a 6x3x3 prop makes things a bit more manageable.

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The big plus you get with a smaller prop with similar thrust is speed. More speed allows that beautiful airfoil/dihedral wing to create a lot of lift of its own to combat weight. Another thing about a large prop like that 10 incher is that torque roll will be pretty high. So, that could have been the source of the roll you experienced. Finally, as I mentioned before, cg is important. So, enough speed for lift, minimize torque roll with a smaller prop and maintained cg. Btw, Jay's focal price 2700 on a 6x3 prop is about the best performance I've seen. I had a 7x3x3 and it was good, but Jay's was a lot faster.

EricR and homey666 like this.
  7. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Greg, thanks for the help. With the suggestion I got today I'm more excited then ever to rebuild to plane. You guys have been a great help.

F1wanabe and EricR like this.
  8. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Just purchased A10 MK2 plans as I've build the F15 and really like the way the plans go together. Very nice indeed.

F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Glad you liked the f15, hstroisch! A bit of advice we give to anyone builds this is to mount all components as far forward as possible since you'll be balancing out the rear mount motor. I put servos over the wing and use push rods to go back to the elevator. This will allow you to use the smallest possible battery and still have the right cg. Since we maximized the size of this for good scale performance, it's critical to plan it out right from the beginning. 27-28 oz is a good weight to shoot for. Good luck and post any questions you may have!

hstroisch likes this.
  10. Jaxxxx

Jaxxxx Airman

Nice job with the build. What motor are you running?

11. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Thanks for the info on servo placement. I'm still waiting for HobbyKing to send my order so I can power it. I'm almost complete with the build and I think it looks amazing. (I used to work on the real deal many years ago and love this airframe, 90-93 Eielson AFB, AK)

I'll try and post some pictures when and if I paint it. I am using Dollar Tree foam board and still haven't tried to apply any paint as I don't want it to melt. I thought about using colored packaging tape but don't have the right colors IMO.

12. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I'm using the Turnigy D2826-2200kv

CeeKay likes this.
  13. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Well maiden didn't go as good as expected. CG was very different from where the plans called for. Nosed in after maybe 40 seconds with full up elevator. Didn't take any before pics but I'll try and get some after the rebuilding.

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Sorry to hear that, hstroisch. Did you set cg according to plan before flight? Once it's set, it shouldn't change.

15. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I'm finding mine needs a ton of extra weight on the nose to balance cg so I'm perhaps doing something wrong?

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Not at all, homey! As we recommend, moving as much weight forward helps with this. Moving servos and esc forward will allow you to achieve the cg easier without adding ballast. If you look at the real plane, it's designed to carry a VW beetle sized gun on the nose, so you will definitely need weight forward of cg to counter the motor weight on the back. Jay and I flew with a 3000 3s battery up front and it was great. You can do a 2200 3s if you include a Cannon on front that weighs a couple oz. In either case, it's not worth flying if the cg is off. Once cg is right? It's a hands off flier!

homey666 likes this.
  17. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

I did set it according to the plan. I was reading where everyone was saying to add weight to the front as it is very tail heavy. I put landing gear on with a stearable nose wheel. It looked awesome and took to the air from the ground. Just wished I would have had a better understanding on my CG. I was bringing it in so I could adjust battery placement when it stalled in a corner and nosed in from about 40 to 50' up. Oh well. It did fly and look amazing doing so. I love the build and it won't be my last one.

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

The CG doesn't change. Where it is marked, is where it should balance. If the plane balances at another point, it isnt a CG problem, but a problem in the build and weight distribution. If it takes a lot of extra weight added to get the balance on the CG marks, it will fly, but it will be heavy and slow...

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, too bad! That must have weighed about 35 oz with the gear? If so, tip stall will definitely rear it's ugly head!

20. royboy3541250

royboy3541250 Airman

How do you set up the rear servo on the A-10 mk2? i dont see any pictures on what you did.