FRCFoamies A10 Warthog MK2 PLANS AVAILABLE!!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Nov 4, 2014.

1. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

After Picture After.JPG

2. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Back together again with some battle scars. Too windy for a maiden today but I did it anyway. Also need to half the aileron throws. Very jumpy even with 30% expo. Back Together 1.JPG Back together 2.JPG

3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I call those. ."charector markings"

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

OOPS! You are lucky, repairable! Do you have any video of the incident?
    Better luck next flight!

jimpalmer and F1wanabe like this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jim, too much Control is better than not enough! The wing pods can get caught up on tall grass. I tore a couple off if they weren't necessary for scale looks I would leave them off on my field. Looks like you are ready for more! Good luck!

jimpalmer likes this.
  6. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Yep here is the video. Just finished uploading. Looking at the video I think that it was just a big gust of wind. Going down wind the gust caught up to me and stalled out my air speed. It first I thought it was a problem with a servo as the wings started to rock like crazy. I should have powered out of it. Oh well live and learn.

CeeKay and Airflow like this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Oh, man, a hard strike ... That was a good flight in the strong wind, it's pretty fast too!

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I thought you fared quite well for as awkward as it looked at touch down.

You're right. ..not the best of days to play in by the sounds of it.

jimpalmer and Airflow like this.
  9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, flew great. I think the wind just grabed your tail on that final approach, that was to bad. Looks so good though, nice work

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I got the Warthog flying again and I did a couple of changes. I changed the 6x4 prop to a 7x4. I went out tonight and tested it with 3s and then on 4 s batteries. I wanted more punch to get me out of trouble (which I always seem to get myself into). Here is a couple of flight videos with the two different batteries in it. Sorry I never take time to edit the videos. Just upload the GoPro to YouTube. If they are long just click on through.

EricR and flyhighhobbies like this.
  11. DEGRIZ

DEGRIZ Cadet

Maiden Morning!! for my A-10 and A-10 80%
    A-10 flew right out of my hands a couple of clicks of trim and flew true and level. Looked great on low passes, had to keep the speed up or control got a little to slow to respond. Hatch door magnet came off and open hatch caused some control problems. I brought it in as best as I could, a little cosmetic damage on the nose and ripped out the gun.

My 80% did not fare so well, underpowered with a blue wonder motor, I was not able to get myself out of trouble. I am very happy I did not spend the time painting it. Not rebuild able, I have already scavenged the internals for my next build.

Sorry no video as I usually fly alone.

jimpalmer, homey666 and F1wanabe like this.
  12. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

What is your all up weight with the 4s battery and did you tilt the motor any to get the plane to fly level? I had a really heavy nose and couldn't get my A10 to fly level. I crashed the whole front end of the fuselage, so I've got to rebuild. So I'm looking for ideas to make it fly better. I have a 2826 motor one it now, so I think I have the right motor. Any ideas to help this next build would be appreciated thanks.

13. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I found mine a little bit light on the nose. To make the CG I flew with a 3000 mAh 3s battery or the 2200 4s. I am using the same motor as you and finally ended up with a 7x4 prop. I have a 35 amp esc. My AUW is 960 grams with the 3000 battery.
    I'm a little bit heavy so I need the extra push from the bigger prop

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

cgcmhob303, what battery were you using and did you maintain the cg as per plan? If you keep stock cg you should not be nose heavy; put another way, the only way you'd be nose heavy is if you did not keep to the stock cg. Jay and I used from 2200 3s up to a 3000 3s and the 3000 3s felt really good, as a mater of fact. You should have plenty of movement in the battery area to get cg unless you have a heavy canon on the nose? The a10 always needs a little up trim to fly level, btw.

15. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Well, I guess your comments are my concern, Yes I used the stock cg, I used a 2200 3s, I was at the recommend weight. When I flew the maiden and she flew nose down, I contacted boxermad84 and he recommend I tilt the motor up 1 to two degrees. Well the next flight after I made the change she went in nose down and destroyed the fuselage. It must have been something in the way I built the plane. I'm planning to build it again. Just looking for ideas to make it right the next time. Thanks for yours.

16. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

jimpalmer, like I told F1wanabe, I used a 2200 3s and tilted the motor up 1 to 2 degrees and she still nose dived. I guess there's one good thing about the scratch build hobby, as long as the electronics are ok, it's not very expensive to rebuild. So I'll do an new rebuild and take yours and F1wanabe's helpful comments into account on the new plane. Thanks

17. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I didn't tilt my motor. Just left it square. Did need some up trim on the elevator

18. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I've seen a few youtube videos of other pilots flying the A10 Mark II and their planes flew great, of couse there are not many video of A10 MarkII crashes. I tried to build the plane well within the specs and used care in setting up the electronics. But it appears I may have done something wrong in the construction to make the plane really nose heavy. I'm encourage that others are flying the plane well so I'll rebuild it and take into account your suggestions. Thanks again.

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Cgcmhob3, that was my question in my other post. If you did have the cg according to the plan then the plane can't be nose heavy because the cg is the cg. So, it could have been the motor tilt like Jay mentioned because the thrust could have been pushing the nose down. The other thing would be something like a tilted elevator where the elevator is dropping the nose? Hmm that's really got me scratching my head. If you could get a picture of the motor mount, I bet that's it.

20. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Here is the position of the motor on the final flight. I'm not sure if you can tell but the motor was pointed up.
    20150406_193037.jpg
    Below is what was left. I was thinking about just building the fuselage and wings and reattaching the tail section. But I decided to scrap that idea and rebuild it completely.
    20150406_193140.jpg
    Thanks for your help.