FRCFoamies A10 Warthog MK2 PLANS AVAILABLE!!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Asif

Asif Cadet

Hi,

I'm new to frc famines. I was hoping to build the mk2 a10. Would I be able to fly it with these specs?

DT foam board without paper

2200 kv motor
    2200mah 3 cell 30c battery
    35 amp ESC

All of these parts are from hobby king

The help is appreciated !

Sincerely,

MD Asif Shahriar

2. Should be able too, DT foam might be a lil flimsy but I sure it's doable

4s cuz there's no tooling around

3. Asif

Asif Cadet

Thank you very much ASD, really appreciate the help. Hope to build soon!

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I agree with ASD but would add that the tail needs to be very stiff. Paperless Dt foam will not do. You would have to add so much stiffening that it would be heavier than leaving the paper on. I would suggest leaving the paper on the tail and trying not to use a lot of hot glue on the rest of the plane. You don't want the plane to be tail heavy at all! Also, mounting all servos and components as forward as possible is really important. Good luck!

5. Asif

Asif Cadet

Thanks so much for the info, it really helps and take out trial and error. Printing plans soon

6. DEGRIZ

DEGRIZ Cadet

Mine is built mostly from DTF, a few pieces used Elmers board. I only took off paper on the inside to save weight.

7. Asif

Asif Cadet

Any issues with weight?, I made the rcpowers Eurofighter out of DT foam board with the same electronic and it barely flew.

8. DEGRIZ

DEGRIZ Cadet

I can't remember the weight off the top of my head but it's in a previous post somewhere. It came in right around the recommended weight. I have not got to try and fly it yet. Got over a foot of snow on the ground and winds are crazy, hoping for an early spring :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  9. thunderfisst

thunderfisst Cadet

AUW is 940g with 2 1550 3 cells. Think it is going to be a rocket. I impressed with your 7x5 prop Barry. Guess I was wrong, thanks for the info.

10. For the tail section I use meat trays from the super market, you know like the foam that u get when u buy steak or pork chops, that foam is very rigid

4s cuz there's no tooling around

flyhighhobbies and F1wanabe like this.
  11. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

The weight of your A10 is a little less than mine mine and you have two motors & ESC's, I must have used way too much hot glue and other stuff...
    I had a 7x4 prop on my SU30 originally but it didn't want to perform at all well (probably too much glue again), I had a 7x5 prop in my toy box and tried it....the difference was amazing, Turnigy spec up to a 7x3 with this motor. Hope you get a bit of warmer weather soon, keen to see the results of the twin motors...:)

12. thunderfisst

thunderfisst Cadet

I have build tall the v3's and v4's and started with lots of hot glue for strength but the last few I'm using just enough to hold them together and some foam tac, they are much lighter now and fly better. And I don't have as many close encounters with the ground as I used to (I think I am finally getting better....LOL) so they have been holding up just fine. At the lighter weight they fly much better. The guys designing these planes are real geniuses! All of my v planes are much more fun to fly than my factory ones.

lawrenceb, ASD and BarryM like this.
  13. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Most fun and challenging build yet. Stupid me, ordering my motor right before Chinese new year! Oh well....more time for purdying up. 20150219_205540.jpg 20150219_205638.jpg 20150219_205615.jpg

Boxermad84, EricR and TomMonton like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, looks great homey!

15. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

My first A-10 Mk2 is built and waiting for paint and decals :) It has the single recommended motor with prop on the back. I enjoyed building it so much I'll build another one and am interested in everyone's input on trying a 64mm EDF (with an exhaust tube) in each nacelle. 64 mm EDFs should fit with a little modding if necessary. I've been researching 64 mm EDF thrust capability etc and it seems it can be done. Someone on another site built an A-10 out of DTFB weighing in heavier than the FRC A-10 Mk 2 at 1050 g and used two 4400 kv EDFs. On the video his flew pretty well with the two EDFs. My current A-10 is built with all Foam Tac glue and weighs in at 760 g. The nacelles seem solidly attached and should handle the forces. Any thoughts?

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Eric, you would be the first as far as I know! The thrust angle and weight would be critical, not because it won't fly, but primarily at launch and landing. A twin edf plane will definitely be 45 oz or so, so you would need a good heavy throw to get the speed up quickly. Rtf twin edf models usually have landing gear so that you can do a rolling take off, this won't be the case here so the plane will need an instant speed boost. The second thing to consider is landing. I Have build several 40 oz plus planes and landing a heavier plane, made of depron, is difficult to do without damaging it. The foam itself just can't support the shock of landing that much weight. Then, in between the launch and take off your have the issues of cg and thrust angle. So, I'm sure it can be done and I'd say give it a shot if you are so inclined. I would recommend flying the prop version and learning everything you can about a heavy set up with it, then move on to the edf version. Maybe even incorporating zip tie landing gear to help land on pavement? Good luck!

17. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Thanks for the thoughts, Greg! If anyone wants to view the heavier, Dollar Tree Foam Board & EDF A-10 video and plane specs and give me more thoughts, that would be great. Link: http://flitetest.com/articles/nna-10

18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

19. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Got around to putting a video together, the maiden flight went terribly wrong....6 x 4 prop just not enough for my 970g A10..:(..after some surgery and a bigger 7 x 5 prop we were airborne..:)..too much throw for me on the bendy bits...:confused:...around 16mm both ways resulting in panic and a really heavy landing..:(..this thing is really designed well just like the real thing...added a new CF spar on top of the wing and repaired the main spar, reduced the throws to 10mm and a lot more exponential..ready to go again...:D
    New CF wing brace small.JPG
    Wing repair underside small.JPG

bimoadiprakoso and EricR like this.
  20. Newt

Newt Administrator

wow that is one beautiful A-10!
    970g is pretty stout but looks like your getting it dialed in.
    very nice!