FRCFoamies A10 Warthog MK2 PLANS AVAILABLE!!

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Nov 4, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looking good, homey! Yes, we try to make it clear that our FRC Foamies plans are more advanced so that beginners are not disappointed. But, once you get a few parkjets under your belt, an airfoil dihedral score and fold rear mount plane doesn't sound so bad anymore! Haha.

DavePowers and homey666 like this.
  2. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Progress....I beefed up the motor mount by facing the Depron areas with 0.5mm ply,

9 Motor Mount 1 small.JPG
    9 Motor Mount 1 small.JPG

Really enjoying this build, all the filling and initial sanding is complete, servos and hardware installed, haven't fitted the vertical stabs yet, will do that at the end otherwise I'll probably break them somewhere along the line......

5 Front view sanded small.JPG
    6 Rear view sanded small.JPG
    7 Side view sanded small.JPG
    8 Bottom view sanded small.JPG

Next off to the paint shop for a couple of weeks.....:D

Attached Files:

EricR, homey666, DEGRIZ and 2 others like this.
  3. Beautiful Barry

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

BarryM likes this.
  4. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Kind of a boring maiden. It was just warm enough to get a test flight in. I have some weight management issues that need to be addressed. Fantastic looking plane though. The FRC Foamies guys are getting better with each design. The wing and internal bracing are amazing. I expect the next releases to be even better, and we are pushing for some re-designed old releases that incorporate the air foil wings. It is hard to be patient since Jay and Greg have real jobs too and can't just crank out our demands. Great job guys. My landing area was very wet, the wing pods dug in and acted like anchors. Keep that in mind when landing in the grass, maybe a little nose flare at the last minute to keep them up...

EricR, ASD and DEGRIZ like this.
  5. DEGRIZ

DEGRIZ Cadet

That is fantastic looking!! Cant' wait to see it all painted up. Did yo pick a color scheme yet?

BarryM likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice maiden, Chip! Good speed too. The a10 always needs some up trim. It's not a plane where you can pill back cg until it flies level without trim, so about 3/16 of an inch is what I've got. You're right about the landings. I snagged the wing pods on tall grass myself. Maybe some zip tie landing gear would help? Thanks for the compliments!

7. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Thank's Degriz.....probably going to be "The Flying Yankees" Black Lightning, Jay sent me a pic of their Warthog logo, just got to get someone who can make a good decal from it.........

8. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Finished the drawings for the decals, off to the sign maker guy tomorrow to get them made up.:)

Decal pages small.JPG

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Very nice!

BarryM likes this.
  10. Plz don't crash that beautiful bird BarryM

BarryM likes this.
  11. darren

darren Airman

Hi everyone,
    just thought I would show you progress so far on A10-2 I have added wing tips thanks to Chrisrohrer
    I also had a bit of trouble trying to attach the two elevators with a piece of bent wire as the wire would not let the elevator travel up and down so I turned to Thunderfisst's idea of using a carbon rod to work both elevators,after using a barbecue skewer to make the hole i slotted a carbon rod into the tail and put a small angle top and bottom of the tail .I then got my hot gun and melted a curve into each elevator, filled the curve with 5 min epoxy and covered the carbon rod with extreme packing tape. Placed both of the elevators onto the carbon rod and fixed with the packing tape.At this point I was thinking how great they looked when the epoxy dried I decided to give them a test so I spun the carbon rod up and down (looking good:)) and then:( the elevator's kept sliding and getting hung up on the tail:mad: another (problem) opportunity:rolleyes: how to fix carbon so it would not slide. After a while staring at the tail it dawned on me:D I had a sheet of thin perspex which I cut and fixed to the rudders,and then took two round servo arms,sanded one side flat and drilled a three mm hole in the middle presses over the carbon rods and epoxied them on:):):) they work a treat
    Now to the gun, how to make it look like a gun :confused: A piece of carbon ? or a few pieces of carbon. so went hunting in my bits and pieces and found a 7 mm piece of carbon, right that will do for the stem, 5 three mm pieces of carbon for the guns all cut to size and put all 3 mm into 7 mm piece but could not get the middle pieces to be symmetrical. I know Ill get a 2 mm push rod put it into the middle and the 3 mm pieces lined up. mixed some epoxy and put a little in to glue all together.(don't forget to take the push rod out before epoxy dries:oops:) And now the part you have all been waiting for!! a10 build 001.jpg a10 build 004.jpg a10 build 005.jpg a10 build 006.jpg a10 build 007.jpg a10 build 008.jpg a10 build 009.jpg a10 build 010.jpg a10 build 005.jpg

Boxermad84, BarryM, F1wanabe and 5 others like this.
  12. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Nice work Darren.

13. Chrisrohrer

Chrisrohrer Airman

Sweet gun Darren !! Thanks for the mention on the wing tips !!
    Here is my nose and gun :)). Just a BBQ skewer, and a bubble tea straw :)

Sanding is done, The polyurethane is dry, masking then grey paint...

Attached Files:

EricR, ASD, Boxermad84 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Chrisrohrer

Chrisrohrer Airman

And painted ...

And the mechanism for firing the "gun"..

Can't wait to maiden it.... After the blizzard :))

Attached Files:

ASD, Boxermad84, BarryM and 1 other person like this.
  15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow guy's, lots of A10 action going on! They all look awesome! Talking of cannons...... A guy over on my side of the pond here in the UK designed this and printed it on a 3d printer. It came in all black plastic and I painted it. He also gave us the file so if you guy's are interested. [​IMG][​IMG]

www.frcfoamies.com

www.youtube.com/jayrothwell

www.facebook.com/frcfoamies

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    EricR, ASD and BarryM like this.
  16. Chrisrohrer

Chrisrohrer Airman

THAT gun is SWEET !!!!

Boxermad84 likes this.
  17. DEGRIZ

DEGRIZ Cadet

Going to look great!! looking forward to seeing it all completed.

18. DEGRIZ

DEGRIZ Cadet

looking good, Love the gun Darren looks great. What do you guys use to fill your gaps?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  19. DEGRIZ

DEGRIZ Cadet

Sweet looking, The A-10 builds are are going to be a lot more detailed. Going to look to good to fly!

20. darren

darren Airman

that looks great I also love the drawing on warthog's face the paint job is impressive too :rolleyes: may have to take another one of your ideas and implement it to mine