FlySky FS-i6 transmitter upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Apr 14, 2018.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had these two steeds out for a good session today:)
    20181019_090705.jpg
    It was a "good news/bad news" session with the Su-30 V4 which I fly with the FlySky FS-i6 transmitter setup. Good news, the plane landed in one piece, bad news, there is now some different glitch in the system :( Of course I could be incorrectly blaming it on the transmitter/receiver, however after having the mixes reset themselves as I described in post #24 above, perhaps I am being paranoid.

Today the first flight was just fine, no glitches, then about half way through the second flight, the plane started to "jitter" in both the roll and pitch access like it was in some turbulence. It happened in a different area of the field from the first glitch and it was maybe 75m away, so I don't think range was an issue. Anyway, managed to land without mishap. Again, all connections seem good, servos responding properly. So more research and troubleshooting is now required I think before trying again. I may have used up all my blessings from the "RC Gods" with this plane and transmitter at this point ;).

I will take the receiver out, open up the transmitter to see if there are any loose connections and then go from there. I will swap the Su-30 over to my Turnigy 9x transmitter and see if perhaps the ESC might be causing issues. Perhaps the internal BEC is causing some issues as well with power getting to the servos in flight? Anyway, more to follow:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  2. I would try a different rx in it. .

3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this steed out for a good rip using my FlySky FS-i6 transmitter after doing some more troubleshooting :) So far, so good, 7 flights today and no "glitches"!
    20181106_095502.jpg
    I realized that after closer inspection of the plane and how I had placed my transmitter antennae, during a recent repair after a bit of a hard landing, I had ended up putting glue on the end of one of the antenna:( I'm not saying that this was the cause of the problem, but I imagine that it being encased in glue didn't help much! I ended up having to remove the heat shrink off the end of the antenna lead to get it off the plane:( as you can see in the picture below. The receiver I was using was the FS-iA6B https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-2_4...978603.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN as that was the one that came with my transmitter when I ordered it. It was actually a better deal at the time than with the FS-iA6 receiver which is on the right in the picture and the one I have installed in the plane now https://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-...985684.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN. The FS-iA6B has two extra ports for sensors and servos, something I will probably never use in a park jet but it was working well for over 300 flights until I put glue on the antenna...DOH!!!
    20181106_133759.jpg
    Anyway, the RC gods have been with me, 99.9% of my "incidents" or "near incidents" in my 6 yr park jet career have been self induced through poor building, setup or just plain old "dumb thumbing", so it wouldn't have been the first time.

So this new FS-iA6 receiver is working well, but a few other things came to light while doing my research that perhaps someone smarter than me can help with;).

When I connect the battery and the receiver, my transmitter gives a "beep BEEP", soft beep followed by a louder beep. I'm assuming that is some sort of confirmation of connection? I never had that happen with the FS-iA6B receiver, so I'm not sure.

Further, I realized that I need to be aware of what RX output setting I have selected. With the firmware upgrade I completed, this expands what you can select for your RX, I never paid any attention to it and before I "glued" the antenna, it seemed to be fine. However after having the mixes reset themselves, maybe this was something else that reset itself?

To get to this menu to select the RX output (if you have done the firmware upgrade), go to System menu, select RX setup
    2018-11-06 13.56.45.jpg
    After selecting this, select PPM output
    20181106_135654.jpg
    Then you see RX output.
    2018-11-06 13.57.01.jpg

Under this menu, there are four selections available

- IBUS/PWM
    - IBUS/PPM
    -SBUS/PWM
    -SBUS/PPM

I went to the Q&A section on the Banggood website for the FS-iA6 and deduced through a process of elimination that it wasn't an SBUS receiver nor compatible with PPM, so I selected IBUS/PWM. In fact I think this came up as the default, so not sure how that happened, but thus far it is working OK (fingers crossed...not while flying though;)).

However, I am not 100% sure if that is what I should have selected, so if someone who is more familiar with these protocols could provide some input, it would be most helpful:)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

A video update of what I described in post #43 above :)

Cheers,

Scott

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Scott,
    I was looking to buy some more receivers for my FSi6 and notice the price had gone up quite substantially on the ia6b afhds2a (telemetry)models.
    I use the R6B on my Turnigy 9xr and noticed that the FSi6 will support the ia6b and r6b.
    The R6B has one antenna as it does not support telemetry.
    I was not sure on the park fly range so I have decided to go for the R6B receivers.
    The R6B cost around £6.80 where as the IA6B afdhs2a are over £14.00.
    If you don`t want telemetry you can save a good portion of your pocket money by using the R6b receivers but you have to turn off the afhds2a function in your transmitter to bind them to your TX.
    I sussed the reason why the FSi6 hasn`t got a built in timer as there is a battery voltage sensor you can buy quite inexpensively.
    I don`t think there is a reason to worry about the I-bus settings if you aren`t using two way telemetry.
    Voltage sensor https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-...-iA10-Receiver-p-976303.html?cur_warehouse=CN
    I have just bought two voltage sensors dirt cheap:)
    Voltage sensor hook up (in Italian)

Binding the R6B to the FSi6.

e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Just a quick note Scott.
    I have successfully bound an R6B receiver to my FSi6 TX and all works on the bench but not flown it yet.
    When I bound the R6B RX to my fsi6TX the binding alert did not stop like it does with the IA6B RX on the transmitter, but the LED on the receiver turns solid from flashing. This should indicate that the TX and RX are bound.
    There doesn`t seem to be a range test mode on the FSi6 TX but plenty of range test to 400+meters on you tube.
    Cheers,
    Ian.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Thanks to a very helpful comment left on my last video by a helpful fellow You Tuber, I am now much smarter about IBUS/SBUS and PPM/PWM from watching this video:) It confirms that using the current receivers I have that IBUS/PWM is the correct setting in the RX Output menu of my FlySky FS-i6.

Over my RC career, I have watched many of Painless 360s videos, he is a brilliant instructor, here is a link to his full channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Painless360/videos

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.