FlySky FS-i6 transmitter upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Apr 14, 2018.

1. I wish you would have picked the FlySky TH9X. :D :D

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

I have already been using the Turnigy 9x for years (about 5 yrs now I think), but upgraded it with er9x firmware (kind of the predecessor to Open TX that is used in FrSky transmitters) immediately. er9x is really not supported any longer as Open TX has pretty much taken over, but quite honestly it does everything I have ever needed it to do and then some, so I don't expect needing to upgrade it. I will continue to use the Turnigy 9x with the er9x firmware for more complicated setups where I might need 8 channels or complex mixes that the FlySky FS-i6 can't do.

Looking at your transmitter on Banggood, it looks pretty much identical to the Turnigy 9x I am currently using, but I have no experience with the stock firmware that I assume you are using, so can't be of any help there. What is your biggest issue with the transmitter you currently use? I seem to remember you saying once with all the planes you build that having room for all your models was an issue, is that still the case?

Just a quick search on You Tube there appear to be lots of videos that show how do to firmware upgrades to the FS TH 9x, but I don't know if that will expand the model memory any, probably just increases the mixing choices. My Turnigy 9x with the er9x firmware allows for up to 16 models, however it does have an overall memory limit so as mixing items get added with each model, that memory does get used up which could then limit the number of models I could have available anyway. It has never been an issue for me as I don't think I have had any more than 10 models in the memory at a time.

If number of model memory is an issue and you don't want to switch to an entirely new protocol (ie have to buy a whole bunch of different receivers), for your simpler setups elevons, ailerons, rudders without worrying about flaps, etc, you could pick up a Flysky FS-i6 which without the firmware upgrade allows for 20 models and you could probably still use the same receivers you already have. Without the firmware upgrade on the FlySky FS-i6 you won't have a built in timer in the transmitter, but the drawback with the upgrade I found is that in order to use the timer, you need to use the AFHDS 2A type receivers (ie the ones with two antenna)

Not trying to shove the FlySky FS-i6 down your throat, but you could currently pick up two of them with receivers for the same price as one TH 9x, instantly increasing your model capacity by 40 models. https://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-...ml?rmmds=mywishlist&ID=42482&cur_warehouse=CN

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  3. Hi Scott,
    Some of the preloaded mixes in it are really stupid and I can't figure out their thoughts on how they would work. Simple flaps with the elevator mixed in with it is impossible . Even on the F14 I couldn't control the speed of the wings for when they retract or extend unless I just went to a dial switch and manually turned the knob. Definitely storing more models would be nice, right now with every plane I right down which channel, the dual rates along with expo and then I draw a picture of roughly where it is trimmed to and stuff that paper in the hatch. All in all for the price it does the job and yes it is a clone of the Turnigy 9XR . I have seen where guys have wired in another board but unless I had a backup just incase I screw it up totally I won't do it.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had a bit of a "glitch" happen to me during a flight session yesterday with my FlySky FS-i6. As I mention in the video, it was the first flight of the day, plane survived intact, but I didn't really troubleshoot anything at the field. I'm still not sure if it happened due to something I did in changing settings or programming, low transmitter battery or what. Essentially, the mixes for my ailerons reset themselves and the ailerons were acting pretty strange a few times during a flight.

I spoke in error in the video, not all the models I had built in the transmitter had their mixes reset, only two out of three where I had set up ailerons, but it will be something I will watch more closely before each flying session to double check that my aileron and elevon mixes have not reset themselves. This is the first glitch I have had with this transmitter, so I will keep a closer eye on everything to see if it repeats itself and under what conditions the glitch might appear.

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  5. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

did the glitch happened with the 10ch firmware mod?

btw: if interessted i can post a how to mod your iA6 and iA6B receiver in order to display a Lipo's cell voltage on the transmitter (instead of the internal power supply voltage). mod is easy and straightforward. with it, you can turn on the buzzers within the transmitter to whatever level you want (also possible with stock firmware). this could replace your watch timer or Lipo checker/buzzer

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Yes, as I mentioned in my video, I have done the 10 ch mod. Something to keep a close eye on, I have the timer in the transmitter now thanks, working well other than it is not completely accurate, I also shot a video about that earlier in this series. But since I know how much the timer is off, I can set the time accordingly to ensure I land with the proper voltage levels in my batteries:)

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I would love to see that!

e3_Scott likes this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Are you currently using a FlySky FS-i6 transmitter, FBK?

Cheers,

Scott

9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hey Scott,

Nope, but I would still be interested in the process that unclejamal describes regardless, that’s why I mentioned it previously.

In many cases these mods and ideas he described can be transplanted and might give some guidance and direction for a way of doing things in other TXs.

I would love to see the process and step by steps of the mod he describes, sounds interesting to me.

Take care,
    Dennie

10. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

i personally prefer the voltage monitoring over the timer. via monitoring the voltage, it doesn't mind which flying type i am currently doing (just cruising or aerobatics) while the flying.

the process for the small iA6 is simple. summarized:
    1. carefully remove the flexible cover which is wraped around the circuit board. it's just attached by an adhesive layer
    2. on the backside of the pcb, at the middle line of the servo connectors, there is one soldering pad, and next to it the BAT labeling. do a little bit of desoldering to remove the solder from the pad and from the middle pin of the outer pin row.
    3. the pad is the same connective layer as for the pin, now you have to cut the conducting path between those (in the picture it's the black line - refer to the link below). i used a scalpell knife.
    4. now grab a small wire about two inch long (or as you prefer) and solder it to the pad
    5. reapply solder on the pin
    6. check if there is no electrical connection anymore, between the middle row of the pins and the wire soldered onto the pcb in step 4 (a connection should be still present between the pad and the small SMD resistor near the BAT print)
    7. on the other end of the wire, you can solder a pin to it (i used a pin which i had laying around, it's the same type as the servo connectors are. (hint: you can also use two pins [2 pins on a single line connector] and just solder the wire to one of the two connectors >> one pin is not electrically connected with the RX but can also be plugged into the balance plug [ground or another cell - it doesn't mind because it is a blind one] >>this bring more friction to the connector than by just havin one and it for sure will prevent, that it accidentally goes out)
    8. add some hot glue to the wire and the pcb in order to get some strain relief function of the additional wire
    9. reapply the plastic cover on the RX
    10. re-bind your RX to your TX
    11. go to RX Setup on the i6 Transmitter, then enter RX Battery. Set the levels you want. Low sets a permanent buzzer, alerm sets an intermittent buzzer tone, high is just for reference. (i put High to 4,2V, Alarm to 3,5V and Low to 3,4V).
    12. plug the new wire of your RX to the cell next to the black ground wire on the balance plug (dont use the black one, because this is ground; see also notes below).
    13. now you should see the RX voltage on the home screnn (RX connected to battery and Battery to ESC, and ESC to RX)
    reference: click on the two links in this post in the RCgroups thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=40097056&postcount=257

looks like a long process, but once done, it's quick to do.

Notes:
    • this mod just monitors one cell of your battery (the one on which you connect on the balance plug)
    • a magnifying glass really helps
    • i am unsure, but i think i can remember that the handling is slightly different when having more than a 3S lipo - please study the RCgroups thread:
      EDIT: know i remember again why; if you plug in the additional wire to another cell on the balance plug which is not the one next to the ground pin, you are getting the sum of the count cells next to the black GND wire on the balance plug (e.g. 2nd coloured wire on a 3S will give you the voltage of two cells). and because the radio's RX upper battery setting can just go up to a max of 10V, its a problem if you want monitor the voltage of more cells. more details in the RCgroups thread
    next time i would like to do the mod on the iA6B receiver, where the process is nearly the same, just the points where to cut the trace and solder the wire is different and more difficult, because there is no empty pad.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  11. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

Here is a pic of mine [​IMG]

the black one is the not-connected pin which goes in my case to ground

12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Fair enough, just a question, thought if you were a FlySky FS-i6 user you might have some other insights/inputs to add to the thread.

13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I dig it!

Thanks for posting that up.

The info in the link you provided is a valuable reference also.

Nice work on the TX mod.

14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,
    Sorry Scott,

No I have several Devo 10’s, and 7’s with 4 or 5 different Spektrum TX’s and a bunch of ESKY and 4 or 5 weird quadcopter radios using various different protocols.

I used to work on lots of different electronic equipment in the Navy, wireless broadband engineer and as a bio-medical engineer.

I am just fascinated by most any electrical or electronic mod that folks especially in the RC hobby are doing these days.

When unclejamal mentioned the mod but then didn’t mention any particulars about it, it drove me crazy :)

I’m sorry,. I just feel like I need to know everything :p

EDIT:

Take care,
    Dennie

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Wildthing likes this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Ok, thanks, hope you got the answers you were looking for.

16. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

Thats the iA6B mod[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    e3_Scott and Flybyknight22 like this.
  17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I was going to ask for pictures but here you go!

Thanks for posting up the pics.

I am always interested in different mods like this, regardless of wether I use the same transmitter or not.

unclejamal likes this.
  18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

unclejamal -

Thank you for your contributions to this thread, much appreciated:) Certainly more technical detail than I am capable of explaining or contributing. Thanks again :)

Cheers,

Scott

unclejamal likes this.
  19. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

glad you like it, cuz i was unsure if it's ok using ur Tx thread.
    btw. have you already checked out a battery mod for the Tx?

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

It is called the FlySky FS-i6 ugrade thread, so the type of stuff you have added is exactly that:). I have watched videos on battery mods, but as I mentioned in one of my previous videos, I won't bother doing that for awhile. I still have 8 rechargeable Nimh batteries that are working out really well, so I won't bother messing with a battery mod until those are all done:)

Cheers,

Scott

unclejamal and Wildthing like this.