F-35 V5 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 8, 2017.

1. F-35_Title.png

F-35_1.png

F-35_2.png

F-35_3.png

F-35_4.png
    START BUILDING
    - PARTS:
    Get your motor, battery, ESC, foam, radio, servos, hardware, etc on this PARTS page.
    - INSTRUCTIONS: Your plans have some build tips. Also see the Basics Instructions as well as Post 2.
    - CONTROLS: Elevons and rudders are what we recommend. If you ever need help setting up a plane, see our PARKJET EBOOKS.

DOWNLOAD.png
    PLEASE NOTE: Our cart software has been updated January 2017.
    This particular product will not appear in your RCPowers “My Downloads” section.
    For faster service, a direct download link will be instantly emailed to you upon purchase.

Specs: Span: 30” (76cm), Length: 36” (91cm) Flying Weight: 19oz (539g)
    Electronics: Motor: 34-47g, 2200kv, ESC: 20-30A, LiPo Battery:, 11.1v (3S) 1300mAh, 30C, Prop, 6x4, Radio: 3-6ch, Servos: 9g (3)
    Build Materials: Build Foam: 1/4” (6mm) 24x48” Sheets, Carbon Tube: 3mm, 24” (2) Pushrods: 18” (2-6) 18”, Clevis: (2-6), Control Horns: 2-6, Glue: Hot Glue, Epoxy
    Controls: Elevon/Elevator Deflection: 15°, Aileron Deflection: 15°, Rudder Deflection: 15°

2. Build Pictures
    F-35 V5_Build_01.png
    F-35 V5_Build_02.png
    F-35 V5_Build_03.png
    F-35 V5_Build_04.png
    F-35 V5_Build_05.png
    F-35 V5_Build_06.png
    F-35 V5_Build_07.png

3. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

New RCPowers F-35 V5! Surprise!

4. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

WOW! This is out of the blue! A little Fathers Day surprise. :p
    Gee, I haven't done an F35 yet. Hmmmmm,,,,,,,

5. jrvalentin62674

jrvalentin62674 Rookie

Was hoping the F-35 would make a come back! OORAH!!! USMC

6. davidhyams

davidhyams Cadet

Excellent choice of planes to revisit. My RCP F-35 V3 has hosted several experiments because of its flight stability and payload capacity. I've been messing around with the RCP F-18 V5 for several months so I'm ready for a new challenge. Besides slats, gyros, and thrust vectoring, maybe it's time to try an EDF conversion. Twin 55mm's with differential thrust or one 70mm with thrust vectoring, time to see how the RCP F-35 V5 airframe can accommodate my experiments. Thanks...!

borg187, Airflow, CrstnJdi and 5 others like this.
  7. symtec23

symtec23 Rookie

Is this a good beginers flyer as I am looking to finally build one of these amazing parkflyers. Not much flying time under my belt but we all start somewhere, hoping this is first project. Already have all the parts to start building.

8. hotglue

hotglue Rookie

davidhyams
    Let us know how your EDF version proseeds, I've been working along similar lines. I have yet to have much success though.

9. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

The easiest one to start with is probably gonna be the SU-34 V4 or the SU-35 V5. They are considered the trainers of the fleet. They have a large wing area with a canard that gives it low wing loading. My first was the SU-35 V5. They can be set up with elevons only which is easier to build and fly. Good luck whichever you choose and you'll find lot's of help here if you need it. And welcome to the forum. :)

Edit: I just checked and RCP is calling it a trainer in the description so it could be good to start with. The only thing is the F-35 has rudders that are recommended and if you don't have much experience with using the rudder it may be harder to fly. It's a good looking plane for sure.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Wow, nice surprise! The F35 has always been one of my favorites especially when loading it up with control surfaces. It can fly so slow with flaps and vtails!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

borg187, Airflow, FlyteTime and 5 others like this.
  11. davidhyams

davidhyams Cadet

Just ordered the following EDF's. I'll start with the twin 50mm approach first. Need to redesign the underside to accommodate intake channels and output thrust tubes. Planning on mounting the EDF units as close to the CG point as possible. I'll post pics when I have something to show.

Qty 2 50mm Alloy EDF 4800kv (3s Version)
    Qty 1 70mm 8-Blade All Alloy EDF 3000kv Inrunner Motor 1400watt(4S)

12. hwilton

hwilton Airman

Rudders can also be set up as +- air brakes to help soft landings

13. rknair2014

rknair2014 Rookie

Hi All,

Always fascinated about these machines and following RCPowers for along time. I am very noob into this and dont have any flying experience . Can you help me to pick a flight which is very basic to start with ?

14. davidhyams

davidhyams Cadet

Totally agree with your control surface suggestions. I setup my RCP F-35 V3 with flaperons, slats, and rudder mixing to get vtail characteristics. Because the RCP F-35 V3 airframe is extremely stable, setting it up to do high alpha maneuvers was a natural. Anxious to see if the V5 version works as well or better than V3.

15. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Hey there RK!

Any one of our planes classified as trainer would be the best place to start. My personal favorite trainer is the Su-35 because the build is very simple.

borg187, FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  16. Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones Rookie

Are you using a KF airfoil on this version? Is so, which KF do you recommend for best slow flying. I want to make one for indoors!

borg187, CrstnJdi and FlyteTime like this.
  17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Very docile and under control flight demo of the new F-35.

Under rudders?,.. Ah YEAH!

Very nice to see more American planes in the RCP line up. It is a welcome change of pace from all these Migs I have been seeing.

I will be ordering and building this one immediately!

GO NAVY!

18. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Hey there Jeff,

We are using KF2's on this plane and can recommend it for a more stable flight. A Fronteron mod would make this even more slow but we recommend flying stock before attempting modifications to any of our planes. The Hydro Jet is a great indoor flyer if that is your main goal.

Shannon

borg187, Airflow, CrstnJdi and 4 others like this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Bought it!
    Downloaded it!
    Building it!

borg187, FlyteTime, Wildthing and 3 others like this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I always thought that the old V3 version was a bit of a hand full, at least for me.

Something I noticed right away was the differences between this new version of the F-35 and the old V3.

The F-35 V3 had huge ailerons! Because of that I kept the throws small and the expo high as I had a tendency to over control the old V3.

The older V3 flew ok but I never felt that I was able to get the most out of the plane. I never was completely satisfied with my ability to get it dialed in but it's my only RCP plane that doesn't have a bad crash on it. :). Others seemed to get it just right and it was more likely a pilot issue than a problem with the plane. :)

In comparison I can't help but notice that the new F-35 V5 has much smaller ailerons, smaller "under rudders", roughly similar elevator size but perhaps a smidge less wing span. Those changes alone would seem to correct my tendency to "over fly" the plane.

The new F-35 V5 looks much more refined and better dialed in out of the box than the older version and looks to me to be much better defined than the old V3 as a legitimate trainer but still fully capable as an aerobatic flyer.

PLUS,...
    It looks to have an inherent built in ability to fly,..
    C-L-O-S-E and S-L-O-W!

We love that in our planes!

Very excited to find out what this new F-35 V5 can do.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    borg187, Shannon, FlyteTime and 3 others like this.