F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” (V4 Pro Pack)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. esmith

esmith Airman

Changed motors from a Grayson Super Sonic v2 to the Headsuprc 450 zoom and 6x5.5 prop.
    With the supersonic motor I wasn't satisfied with high alpha, too much wing rock. I varied cg and batteries to no avail. I put the 450 zoom with the 6x5.5 prop, 2200ma battery and it's a different plane. Steady high alpha with no wing rock, (hover is within reach) decent forward speed. Very satisfied with this plane now. I use the 6 servo setup. Weight is 25oz. As I turns out my favorite of the m29, F18 and Su34 changes to one I just flew, they all are great. image.jpg

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

The zoom 450 is a really great motor and I'm having a blast with the lighter 400 zoom too. With the v3 I got steady high alpha with the 2200 and the 1800 was marginal. The 1600 exhibited wing rock! I'll be putting velcro further forward in the battery compartment tomorrow to get mass forward a little. The 6x3 emp gives great thrust but I'm not satisfied with the prop wash coverage. I'll try a apc prop.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

3. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That is really nice of you to do all to help a guy out with the radio set up.

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Scott, what a great review, just read it all and watched the whole video.
    I'd be interested to see if you find why it roll trims to the opposite side?
    Anyway, glad you like it so much and having so much fun with it.
    All the testing you did with the V3 really got you off to a super start.
    I like all the beef-ups you put in to really make these last so long.

e3_Scott likes this.
  5. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

I thought I saw that paint job somewhere!
    Sharp build man, great set up. The high alpha and wing on this one is so smooth, I think you'll like it.
    Hey, I love this Foam-Finish idea! I put the light weight spackle on the planes sometimes in an attempt to do something like this. But if there is an RC product FOR THIS, I would love to try it!
    Filling in the gaps, strengthening it up, and making it look better without alot of "modeling skills/time" is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be in touch about getting a hold of this when its ready.

hwilton and F1wanabe like this.
  6. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Man those look good! (and fast).
    Yeah, get those dialed in, the prop pitch makes a big difference I've found.
    I'm trying a 6x3 on my Su-30 right now and really liking the less wing rock.
    Anyway, looks so good there, thanks so much for sharing the pic!

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thank you for the kind words, Dave. I'm not sure why there would be opposite roll trim required on both my F18 V3 and V4, kind of one of those mysterious RC things...:confused: Good news is that it still flies great no matter where the battery is:) The little bit of extra reinforcement in the vertical stabs does seem to have eliminated the "vertical stab flutter" that I was getting with the old V3, so that is good. I still need some calmer days so that I can start to evaluate the high alpha regime, 10-15 mph winds not conducive for me to test that with my skill level...:rolleyes: But I'll just keep flying the wings of it anyway...:)

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Scott

DavePowers likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Had a relaxing morning at the field maidening the F18v4. Lots to tell!
    The V4 has all the performance of the v3 but is more refined and polished in every area. I love slats, or fronterons, on parkjets! On the F18 v4 there is no speed penalty with the fixed slats- a pleasant surprise. The high alpha was amazing with full flaps, and the improved rudder response of the v4 was put to good use! I blew through 3 batteries just doing high alpha. I was less impressed with the spoilerons on this plane, but I will definitely experiment with the spoileron angle and CG next. Stock CG is perfect for all around flying, but I found better performance bringing cg 3//4 of an inch forward. Nice thing about the v4 is plenty of room to push battery forward. Instead of using a heavier battery to move cg forward, like we had to do on the v3, I was able to move the 1500 3s forward enough to maintain the same low weight but shift cg forward.
    Immediately, I felt comfortable pushing at full throttle because, even in the breezy conditions, the plane flew like it was on rails! This most likely has to do with the slats creating more lift and the redesigned control surfaces, especially the ailerons which offer total control with no speed loss in high speed turns. Very efficient! Very impressed, Dave and Scott! I can't say enough good things about this F18v4!

9. tannlet

tannlet Rookie

OK THEN!!!!!!!

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

DavePowers likes this.
  11. esmith

esmith Airman

Nice flight and video.

What video setup are you using.

12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

WOW Scott, those tight loops are crazy, maybe not so scale, but still crazy ... ;-)Otherwise a fantastic flight, as always!

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Airflow -

Yes they were crazy, and definitely not scale, I was just trying to demonstrate how responsive it is in the pitch, that was with only 70% throws...:rolleyes:

Thanks as always for your kind words, still hoping the weather Gods will bring some calmer days so I can try out some more consistent high alpha without getting bounced around too bad, but the F18 V4 does handle the wind in other portions of the flight envelope better than the V3 in my humble opinion, so I can still fly.:) Plus I take my Mig V4 with me also which I think could fly in a howling gale it is so stable in the wind...:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow likes this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Thank you! Great plane! I'm using the Sony as 15 action cam. Nice! My contour was good but this has stabilization and a 120 degree view option which brings the plane much closer than a go pro with 170 degree view. It also let's you share and preview on your smartphone over WiFi. Out was on sale from Sony for $130 but now I see best buy has a sale for $139.
    Here's my first test with the WiFi preview..
    Sony AS15 Action Cam Test:

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

F-18 V4 is really a nice airplane, hope you get at least 300 flights with it! Scott :)

e3_Scott likes this.
  16. captarmour

captarmour Airman

Could it be that extending flap down moves Cp back in effect making it more fwd CG and hence more stable, and extending flaps up as spoilers move Cp fwd making it more aft CG and less stable?

Also if the flap is far enough aft of CG to cause a pitch down when extended down and a pitch up when extended up as spoilers, then elevator moved LE down to compensate would increase decalage and stability and the reverse with flaps up as spoilers.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  17. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

This is a good question

18. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

"Spoiled by the Su-30 V4" when recovering! That line in your video caught me. I've said that to myself a few times when flying the F-18 V4 and Su-30 V4. I'm getting so lazy with that Su-30 and have to step it back up when flying the F-18. :)

Anyway, love your flying here! You had it going so slow in high alpha with the flaps down! I really love the look and feel of a jet doing that. If it wasn't for Airflow, I would have not thought we could have pushed it to get away with that. Not sure why its not stalling out?

So glad you like it, so many of the changes were inspired by your work, videos, ideas form the V3.

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

G'day from Australia again!

I finally 'cracked the code' regarding programming my Spektrum DX8 radio and wiring a RCP F-18 V4, so that I can select different combinations of control surfaces. BIG thanks goes to esmith and especially F1wanabe for their invaluable help.

The wiring diagram below shows how I connected the servos and receiver. Depending on the way you've attached the servos to your own plane, it might be necessary to reverse a servo or two but the framework should be broadly applicable. The diagram also shows the six (yes, six) mixes and flap system settings that I used to get the set-up I wanted. It may well be possible to get the same result with fewer mixes but this is my best shot at it. The nice thing about this project is that I now better understand how the DX8 mixes work and I can apply this set-up to other planes or adjust it to get different results.

Here's a video showing what each configuration does, which is easier than trying to explain it in words.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.

John

Switchable Control Configurations.jpg

Marshall06, Splashballz, TexH and 9 others like this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Very nice, John! Those are all the mixes you need. What's more impressive is that flow chart you put together! Excellent work. You've got a great voice for video, BTW. Sounds like a professional production company video! Excellent! Most importantly, the plane looks great. Good luck with your high alpha training and thanks for the acknowledgement.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

donaldeskridge and DavePowers like this.